- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 274096, 5 pages
Effect of NaCl on Heat Resistance, Antibiotic Susceptibility, and Caco-2 Cell Invasion of Salmonella
1Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul 140-742, Republic of Korea
2National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Suwon, Gyeonggi 441-706, Republic of Korea
3Department of Oral Microbiology, College of Dentistry, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Chonbuk 570-749, Republic of Korea
Received 15 April 2013; Accepted 6 June 2013
Academic Editor: Jacek Bania
Copyright © 2013 Hyunjoo Yoon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Boyen, F. Haesebrouck, D. Maes, F. Van Immerseel, R. Ducatelle, and F. Pasmans, “Non-typhoidal Salmonella infections in pigs: a closer look at epidemiology, pathogenesis and control,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 130, no. 1-2, pp. 1–19, 2008.
- J. Shi and J. E. Casanova, “Invasion of host cells by Salmonella typhimurium requires focal adhesion kinase and p130Cas,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 4698–4708, 2006.
- C. F. Pui, W. C. Wong, L. C. Chai et al., “Salmonella: a foodborne pathogen,” International Food Research Journal, vol. 18, no. 2, 2011.
- M. K. Glynn, C. Bopp, W. Dewitt, P. Dabney, M. Mokhtar, and F. J. Angulo, “Emergence of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype typhimurium DT104 infections in the United States,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 19, pp. 1333–1338, 1998.
- J. C. Low, M. Angus, G. Hopkins, D. Munro, and S. C. Rankin, “Antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella enterica typhimurium DT104 isolates and investigation of strains with transferable apramycin resistance,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 97–103, 1997.
- L. Cabedo, L. Picart I Barrot, and A. Teixidó I Canelles, “Prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella in ready-to-eat food in Catalonia, Spain,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 855–859, 2008.
- T. P. Oscar, “Response surface models for effects of temperature and previous growth sodium chloride on growth kinetics of Salmonella typhimurium on cooked chicken breast,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1470–1474, 1999.
- A. Park, J. Lee, S.-J. Jeong, et al., “Thermal inactivation of sodium-habituated Staphylococcus aureus in ready-to-heat sauces,” Korean Journal For Food Science of Animal Resources, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 713–717, 2012.
- K. P. Koutsoumanis, P. A. Kendall, and J. N. Sofos, “Effect of food processing-related stresses on acid tolerance of Listeria monocytogenes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 7514–7516, 2003.
- J. Lee, H. Yoon, S. Lee, et al., “Effect of NaCl on thermal resistance, antibiotic resistance, and human epithelial cell invasion of Listeria monocytogenes,” Korean Journal For Food Science of Animal Resources, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 545–552, 2012.
- J. Kieboom, H. D. Kusumaningrum, M. H. Tempelaars, W. C. Hazeleger, T. Abee, and R. R. Beumer, “Survival, elongation, and elevated tolerance of Salmonella enterica serovar enteritidis at reduced water activity,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 2681–2686, 2006.
- M. R. Garner, K. E. James, M. C. Callahan, M. Wiedmann, and K. J. Boor, “Exposure to salt and organic acids increases the ability of Listeria monocytogenes to invade Caco-2 cells but decreases its ability to survive gastric stress,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 72, no. 8, pp. 5384–5395, 2006.
- D. Bradley, B. McNeil, J. G. Laffey, and N. J. Rowan, “Studies on the pathogenesis and survival of different culture forms of Listeria monocytogenes to pulsed UV-light irradiation after exposure to mild-food processing stresses,” Food Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 330–339, 2012.
- T. Kuda, S. Nakamura, C. An, H. Takahashi, and B. Kimura, “Effect of soy and milk protein-related compounds on Listeria monocytogenes infection in human enterocyte Caco-2 cells and A/J mice,” Food Chemistry, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 1719–1723, 2012.
- NCCLS (National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards), “Development of in vitro susceptibility testing criteria and quality control parameters for veterinary antimicrobial agents; Approved guideline,” NCCLS document M37-A. NCCLS, Wayne, PA, USA, 1999.
- SAS, “SAS version 9.2 User’s guide,” 2nd edition, 2012, http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63347/HTML/default/viewer.htm#/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63347/HTML/default/titlepage.htm.
- W. Yuan, R. Ágoston, D. Lee, S.-C. Lee, and H.-G. Yuk, “Influence of lactate and acetate salt adaptation on Salmonella typhimurium acid and heat resistance,” Food Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 448–452, 2012.
- V. K. Juneja, “Predictive model for the combined effect of temperature, sodium lactate, and sodium diacetate on the heat resistance of Listeria monocytogenes in beef,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 804–811, 2003.
- R. Hengge-Aronis, “Signal transduction and regulatory mechanisms involved in control of the σs (RpoS) subunit of RNA polymerase,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 373–395, 2002.
- Y. Huang, B. Kan, Y. Lu, et al., “The effect of osmotic shock on RpoS expression and antibiotic resistance in Escherichia coli,” Journal of Experimental Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2009.
- C. Tartera and E. S. Metcalf, “Osmolarity and growth phase overlap in regulation of Salmonella typhi adherence to and invasion of human intestinal cells,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 3084–3089, 1993.
- S. A. Sirsat, K. M. Burkholder, A. Muthaiyan, S. E. Dowd, A. K. Bhunia, and S. C. Ricke, “Effect of sublethal heat stress on Salmonella typhimurium virulence,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 813–822, 2011.