- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 278392, 8 pages
Pharmacological Intervention of Nicotine Dependence
1National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
2Department of Psychiatry, National Drug Dependence Treatment Center, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Received 5 April 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013
Academic Editor: Stelvio M. Bandiera
Copyright © 2013 Raka Jain et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- “Prevalence of tobacco use,” WHO India, http://www.cccindia.co/corecentre/Database/Docs/DocFiles/Tobacco_03_2.pdf.
- “WHO global report: mortality attributable to tobacco,” 2012, http://www.who.int/tobacco/publications/surveillance/rep_mortality_attibutable/en/index.html.
- M. C. Fiore, C. R. Jaen, T. B. Baker, et al., Clinical Practice Guideline: Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence, Tobacco Use and Dependence Guideline Panel, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md, USA, 2000, http://www.ahrq.gov/path/tobacco.htm#Clinic.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General, US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General, Rockville, Md, USA, 2004.
- K. M. Cummings and A. Hyland, “Impact of nicotine replacement therapy on smoking behavior,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 26, pp. 583–599, 2005.
- E. J. Mills, P. Wu, I. Lockhart, K. Wilson, and J. O. Ebbert, “Adverse events associated with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) for smoking cessation. A systematic review and meta-analysis of one hundred and twenty studies involving 177,390 individuals,” Tobacco Induced Diseases, vol. 8, no. 1, article 8, 2010.
- D. Moore, P. Aveyard, M. Connock, D. Wang, A. Fry-Smith, and P. Barton, “Effectiveness and safety of nicotine replacement therapy assisted reduction to stop smoking: systematic review and meta-analysis,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 338, Article ID b1024, 2009.
- A. Y. Moreno and K. D. Janda, “Immunopharmacotherapy: vaccination strategies as a treatment for drug abuse and dependence,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 199–205, 2009.
- M. J. Marks, J. B. Burch, and A. C. Collins, “Effects of chronic nicotinic infusion on tolerance development and nicotinic receptors,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 226, no. 3, pp. 817–825, 1983.
- J. E. Henningfield, R. V. Fant, A. R. Buchhalter, and M. L. Stitzer, “Pharmacotherapy for nicotine dependence,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 281–299, 2005.
- K. O. Fagerstrom and C. A. Jiménez-Ruiz, “Pharmacological treatments for tobacco dependence,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 17, no. 110, pp. 192–198, 2008.
- H. McRobbie and P. Hajek, “Nicotine replacement therapy in patients with cardiovascular disease: guidelines for health professionals,” Addiction, vol. 96, no. 11, pp. 1547–1687, 2001.
- J. J. Mahmarian, L. A. Moyé, G. A. Nasser et al., “Nicotine patch therapy in smoking cessation reduces the extent of exercise-induced myocardial ischemia,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 125–130, 1997.
- S. Shiffman, C. A. Elash, S. M. Paton, C. J. Gwaltney, J. A. Paty, and D. B. Clark, “Comparative efficacy of 24-hour and 16-hour transdermal nicotine patches for relief of morning craving,” Addiction, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 1185–1195, 2000.
- P. Tønnesen, P. Paoletti, G. Gustavsson et al., “Higher dosage nicotine patches increase one-year smoking cessation rates: results from the European CEASE trial,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 238–246, 1999.
- J. R. Hughes, G. R. Lesmes, D. K. Hatsukami et al., “Are higher doses of nicotine replacement more effective for smoking cessation?” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 1999.
- R. C. Stotts, P. K. Roberson, E. Y. Hanna, S. K. Jones, and C. K. Smith, “A randomised clinical trial of nicotine patches for treatment of spit tobacco addiction among adolescents,” Tobacco Control, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. IV11–IV15, 2003.
- N. L. Benowitz, J. I. Jacob III, and C. Savanapridi, “Determinants of nicotine intake while chewing nicotine polacrilex gum,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 467–473, 1987.
- S. Shiffman, C. M. Dresler, P. Hajek, S. J. A. Gilburt, D. A. Targett, and K. R. Strahs, “Efficacy of a nicotine lozenge for smoking cessation,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 11, pp. 1267–1276, 2002.
- J. H. Choi, C. M. Dresler, M. R. Norton, and K. R. Strahs, “Pharmacokinetics of a nicotine polacrilex lozenge,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 635–644, 2003.
- E. Lunell, L. Molander, and S. B. Andersson, “Temperature dependency of the release and bioavailability of nicotine from a nicotine vapour inhaler; in vitro/in vivo correlation,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 495–500, 1997.
- N. G. Schneider, E. Lunell, R. E. Olmstead, and K. Fagerström, “Clinical pharmacokinetics of nasal nicotine delivery. A review and comparison to other nicotine systems,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 65–80, 1996.
- L. Molander and E. Lunell, “Pharmacokinetic investigation of a nicotine sublingual tablet,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 813–819, 2001.
- L. F. Stead, R. Perera, C. Bullen, D. Mant, and T. Lancaster, “Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD000146, 2008.
- R. D. Hurt, K. P. Offord, I. T. Croghan et al., “Temporal effects of nicotine nasal spray and gum on nicotine withdrawal symptoms,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 98–104, 1998.
- M. M. Schuurmans, A. H. Diacon, X. van Biljon, and C. T. Bolliger, “Effect of pre-treatment with nicotine patch on withdrawal symptoms and abstinence rates in smokers subsequently quitting with the nicotine patch: a randomized controlled trial,” Addiction, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 634–640, 2004.
- J. E. Rose, F. M. Behm, E. C. Westman, and P. Kukovich, “Precessation treatment with nicotine skin patch facilitates smoking cessation,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 89–101, 2006.
- C. Bullen, C. Howe, R. Lin et al., “Pre-cessation nicotine replacement therapy: pragmatic randomized trial,” Addiction, vol. 105, no. 8, pp. 1474–1483, 2010.
- S. Shiffman and S. G. Ferguson, “Nicotine patch therapy prior to quitting smoking: a meta-analysis,” Addiction, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 557–563, 2008.
- C. Silagy, D. Mant, G. Fowler, and T. Lancaster, “Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD000146, 2000.
- J. F. Etter and J. A. Stapleton, “Nicotine replacement therapy for long-term smoking Cessation: a meta-analysis,” Tobacco Control, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 280–285, 2006.
- J. T. Hays and J. O. Ebbert, “Bupropion sustained release for treatment of tobacco dependence,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 1020–1024, 2003.
- S. Shiffman, J. A. Johnston, M. Khayrallah et al., “The effect of bupropion on nicotine craving and withdrawal,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2000.
- J. E. Slemmer, B. R. Martin, and M. I. Damaj, “Bupropion is a nicotinic antagonist,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 295, no. 1, pp. 321–327, 2000.
- D. E. Jorenby, S. J. Leischow, M. A. Nides et al., “A controlled trial of sustained-release bupropion, a nicotine patch, or both for smoking cessation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 9, pp. 685–691, 1999.
- J. A. Johnston, J. Fiedler-Kelly, E. D. Glover, D. P. L. Sachs, T. H. Grasela, and J. de Veaugh-Geiss, “Relationship between drug exposure and the efficacy and safety of bupropion sustained release for smoking cessation,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 2001.
- F. Patterson, R. A. Schnoll, E. P. Wileyto et al., “Toward personalized therapy for smoking cessation: a randomized placebo-controlled trial of bupropion,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 320–325, 2008.
- J. T. Hays, R. D. Hurt, N. A. Rigotti et al., “Sustained-release bupropion for pharmacologic relapse prevention after smoking cessation: a randomized, controlled trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 423–433, 2001.
- J. W. Coe, P. R. Brooks, M. G. Vetelino et al., “Varenicline: an α4β2 nicotinic receptor partial agonist for smoking cessation,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 3474–3477, 2005.
- R. C. Klesges, K. C. Johnson, and G. Somes, “Varenicline for smoking cessation: definite promise, but no panacea,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 1, pp. 94–95, 2006.
- S. L. Zierler-Brown and J. A. Kyle, “Oral varenicline for smoking cessation,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 95–99, 2007.
- J. O. Ebbert, K. D. Wyatt, J. D. Hays, E. W. Klee, and R. D. Hurt, “Varenicline for smoking cessation: efficacy, safety and treatment recommendations,” Patient Preference and Adherence, vol. 4, pp. 355–362, 2010.
- K. Fagerström and J. Hughes, “Varenicline in the treatment of tobacco dependence,” Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 353–363, 2008.
- S. Singh, Y. K. Loke, J. G. Spangler, and C. D. Furberg, “Risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events associated with varenicline: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 183, no. 12, pp. 1359–1366, 2011.
- J. R. Hughes, L. F. Stead, and T. Lancaster, “Notriptyline for smoking cessation: a review,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 491–499, 2005.
- E. Roddy, “ABC of smoking cessation: bupropion and other non-nicotine pharmacotherapies,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 328, no. 7438, pp. 509–511, 2004.
- A. E. Leader, C. Lerman, and J. N. Cappella, “Nicotine vaccines: will smokers take a shot at quitting?” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 390–397, 2010.
- J. Cornuz, S. Zwahlen, W. F. Jungi et al., “A vaccine against nicotine for smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trial,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 6, Article ID e2547, 2008.
- F. M. Orson, B. M. Kinsey, R. A. K. Singh, Y. Wu, T. Gardner, and T. R. Kosten, “Substance abuse vaccines,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1141, pp. 257–269, 2008.
- R. A. Bevins, J. L. Wilkinson, and S. D. Sanderson, “Vaccines to combat smoking,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 379–383, 2008.
- M. Nides, “Update on pharmacologic options for smoking cessation treatment,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. S20–S31, 2008.