- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 278927, 10 pages
Optimisation of the Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Blood Cells with a Neutral Protease
Laboratory of Biotechnology, Institute of Animal Nutrition, Northeast Agricultural University, Harbin 150030, China
Received 27 August 2012; Revised 17 October 2012; Accepted 21 October 2012
Academic Editor: Elvira Gonzalez De Mejia
Copyright © 2013 Yanbin Zheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. K. Mandal, V. K. Rao, B. N. Kowale, and U. K. Pal, “Utilization of slaughter house blood in human food,” Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 91–105, 1999.
- D. Parès I Oliva, Caracterizatzió i revaloració de la fracció plasmàtica de la sang de porc procedent d’escorxadors industrials [Ph.D. thesis], Department of Chemical and Agricultural Engineering and Food Technology, University de Girona, 2001.
- R. T. Duarte, M. C. Carvalho Simões, and V. C. Sgarbieri, “Bovine blood components: fractionation, composition, and nutritive value,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 231–236, 1999.
- C. Martínez Graciá, G. Lopez Martínez, G. Ros Berruezo, M. L. Vidal Guevara, and P. Abellán Ballesta, “Use of heme iron concentrate in the fortification of weaning foods,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 2930–2936, 2000.
- A. P. Williams, “Amino acid requirements of the veal calf and beef steer,” in Amino Acids in Farm Animal Nutrition, J. P. F. D’Mello, Ed., pp. 329–349, CAB International, Oxon, UK, 1994.
- E. D. Frugé, S. Powell, T. D. Bidner, and L. L. Southern, “Effect of incremental dietary levels of red blood cells on growth performance of broilers,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2011.
- E. Saguer, S. Altarriba, C. Lorca, D. Parés, M. Toldrà, and C. Carretero, “Colour stabilization of spray-dried porcine red blood cells using nicotinic acid and nicotinamide,” Food Science and Technology International, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 301–307, 2003.
- M. Toldrà, D. Parés, E. Saguer, and C. Carretero, “Hemoglobin hydrolysates from porcine blood obtained through enzymatic hydrolysis assisted by high hydrostatic pressure processing,” Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 435–442, 2011.
- R. Pérez-Gálvez, M. C. Almécija, F. J. Espejo, E. M. Guadix, and A. Guadix, “Bi-objective optimisation of the enzymatic hydrolysis of porcine blood protein,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 305–310, 2011.
- I. Aubes-Dufau, J. L. Seris, and D. Combes, “Production of peptic hemoglobin hydrolysates: bitterness demonstration and characterization,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1982–1988, 1995.
- J. Synowiecki, R. Jagiełka, and F. Shahidi, “Preparation of hydrolysates from bovine red blood cells and their debittering following plastein reaction,” Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 435–439, 1996.
- H. W. Ockerman and C. L. Hansen, Animal by-Product and Utilization, Technomic Publishing Company, Pennsylvania, Pa, USA, 2000.
- S.-G. Guo, M.-M. Zhao, J.-S. Wang, and C. Cui, “Proteolytic degradation and amino acid liberation during extensive hydrolysis of porcine blood hemoglobin by protease admixture,” Journal of Food Process Engineering, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 640–659, 2007.
- M. Gaskell and R. Smith, “Nitrogen sources for organic vegetable crops,” HortTechnology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 431–441, 2007.
- M. B. Rust, Quantitative aspects of nutrient assimilation in six species of fish larvae [Ph.D. thesis], Department of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, University of Washington, 1995.
- M. Toldrà, A. Elias, D. Parés, E. Saguer, and C. Carretero, “Functional properties of a spray-dried porcine red blood cell fraction treated by high hydrostatic pressure,” Food Chemistry, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 461–468, 2004.
- M. Toldrà, E. Dàvila, E. Saguer et al., “Functional and quality characteristics of the red blood cell fraction from biopreserved porcine blood as influenced by high pressure processing,” Meat Science, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 380–388, 2008.
- E. Dàvila Ribot, Advances in animal blood processing: development of a biopreservation system and insights on the functional properties of plasma [Ph.D. thesis], Department of Chemical and Agricultural Engineering and Agrifood Technology, University of Girona, 2006.
- G. E. P. Box, W. G. Hunter, and J. S. Hunter, Statistics for Experiments, an Introduction to Design, Data Analysis and Model Building, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- H.-C. Chen, H.-Y. Ju, T.-T. Wu et al., “Continuous production of lipase-catalyzed biodiesel in a packed-bed reactor: optimization and enzyme reuse study,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 950725, 2011.
- M. Ovissipour, A. Abedian Kenari, A. Motamedzadegan, and R. M. Nazari, “Optimization of enzymatic hydrolysis of visceral waste proteins of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares),” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 696–705, 2012.
- T. Zhu and K. H. Row, “Box-Behnken design for optimizing extraction of luteolin from celery leaves,” Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1036–1049, 2011.
- X. Huang, B. Tian, Q. Niu, J. Yang, L. Zhang, and K. Zhang, “An extracellular protease from Brevibacillus laterosporus G4 without parasporal crystals can serve as a pathogenic factor in infection of nematodes,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 156, no. 5-6, pp. 719–727, 2005.
- X. Li, Z. Niu, and B. Zhang, “Various methods available for the determination of hydrolyzed degree of whey protein,” China Dairy Industry, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 59–62, 2006.
- S.-L. Kim, S.-K. Kim, and C.-H. Park, “Introduction and nutritional evaluation of buckwheat sprouts as a new vegetable,” Food Research International, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 319–327, 2004.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Va, USA, 7th edition, 2000.
- FAO/WHO, “Protein quality evaluation,” Report of Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 1991.
- NRC, Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 10th edition, 1998.
- R. H. Alsmeyer, A. E. Cunningham, and M. L. Happich, “Equations predicting PER from amino acid analysis,” Food Technology, vol. 28, pp. 34–40, 1974.
- Y. B. Lee, J. G. Elliot, D. A. Rickansrud, and E. C. Mugberg, “Predicting protein efficiency ratio by the chemical determinations of connective tissue content in meat,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1359–1362, 1978.
- R. Šližyte, E. Daukšas, E. Falch, I. Storrø, and T. Rustad, “Characteristics of protein fractions generated from hydrolysed cod (Gadus morhua) by-products,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 2021–2033, 2005.
- M. Ovissipour, A. Abedian, A. Motamedzadegan, B. Rasco, R. Safari, and H. Shahiri, “The effect of enzymatic hydrolysis time and temperature on the properties of protein hydrolysates from Persian sturgeon (Acipenser persicus) viscera,” Food Chemistry, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 238–242, 2009.
- Z. Wen, W. Liao, and S. Chen, “Hydrolysis of animal manure lignocellulosics for reducing sugar production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 2004.
- M. Chen, L. Xia, and P. Xue, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of corncob and ethanol production from cellulosic hydrolysate,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 85–89, 2007.
- N. J. Cao, M. S. Krishnan, J. X. Du et al., “Ethanol production from corn cob pretreated by the ammonia steeping process using genetically engineered yeast,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1013–1018, 1996.
- I. Batista, C. Ramos, J. Coutinho, N. M. Bandarra, and M. L. Nunes, “Characterization of protein hydrolysates and lipids obtained from black scabbardfish (Aphanopus carbo) by-products and antioxidative activity of the hydrolysates produced,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 18–24, 2010.
- C. Hu, J. Cui, F. Ren, and C. Peng, “Enzyme hydrolysis of silk fibroin and the anti-diabetic activity of the hydrolysates,” International Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 4, no. 2, article 13, 2008.
- W. D. Wang and S. Y. Xu, “Degradation kinetics of anthocyanins in blackberry juice and concentrate,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 271–275, 2007.
- F. Guerard, L. Guimas, and A. Binet, “Production of tuna waste hydrolysates by a commercial neutral protease preparation,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 19-20, pp. 489–498, 2002.
- M. Ovissipour, R. Safari, A. Motamedzadegan, and B. Shabanpour, “Chemical and biochemical hydrolysis of persian sturgeon (Acipenser persicus) visceral protein,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 460–465, 2012.
- P. K. Sarkar, L. J. Jones, G. S. Craven, S. M. Somerset, and C. Palmer, “Amino acid profiles of kinema, a soybean-fermented food,” Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 1997.
- Y. H. Tseng, Y. L. Lee, R. C. Li, and J. L. Mau, “Non-volatile flavour components of Ganoderma tsugae,” Food Chemistry, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 409–415, 2005.