- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 280496, 10 pages
Tamoxifen Treatment in Hamsters Induces Protection during Taeniosis by Taenia solium
1Unidad de Medicina Experimental, Hospital General de México, México, DF 06726, Mexico
2Departamento de Inmunología, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, AP 70228, México, DF 04510, Mexico
3Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Hospital General de México, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México, DF 06726, Mexico
Received 7 August 2012; Revised 28 September 2012; Accepted 12 October 2012
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2013 Galileo Escobedo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. H. Garcia and O. H. Del Brutto, “Neurocysticercosis: updated concepts about an old disease,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 653–661, 2005.
- A. Esquivel, F. Díaz-Otero, and S. Giménez-Roldán, “Growing frequency of neurocysticercosis in Madrid (Spain),” Neurologia, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 116–120, 2005.
- C. M. Coyle, S. Mahanty, J. R. Zunt, et al., “Neurocysticercosis: neglected but not forgotten,” PLoS Neglected and Tropical Diseases, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e1500, 2012.
- O. H. Del Brutto, “Neurocysticercosis,” Seminars in Neurology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 243–251, 2005.
- A. Carpio, “Neurocysticercosis: an update,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 751–762, 2002.
- T. E. Nash, G. Singh, A. C. White et al., “Treatment of neurocysticercosis: current status and future research needs,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1120–1127, 2006.
- C. Barton Behravesh, L. F. Mayberry, J. R. Bristol et al., “Population-based survey of taeniasis along the United States-Mexico border,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 325–333, 2008.
- C. Rivera-Guevara and J. Camacho, “Tamoxifen and its new derivatives in cancer research,” Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 237–245, 2011.
- H. Ryssel, G. Germann, E. Köllensperger, and K. Riedel, “Plastic surgery for the treatment of gynaecomastia following hormone therapy in prostate carcinoma,” Urologe—Ausgabe A, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 467–471, 2008.
- M. M. Eissa, E. I. Amer, and S. M. F. El Sawy, “Leishmania major: activity of tamoxifen against experimental cutaneous leishmaniasis,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 382–390, 2011.
- D. C. Miguel, R. C. Zauli-Nascimento, J. K. U. Yokoyama-Yasunaka, S. Katz, C. L. Barbiéri, and S. R. B. Uliana, “Tamoxifen as a potential antileishmanial agent: efficacy in the treatment of Leishmania braziliensis and Leishmania chagasi infections,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 365–368, 2009.
- D. C. Miguel, J. K. U. Yokoyama-Yasunaka, and S. R. B. Uliana, “Tamoxifen is effective in the treatment of Leishmania amazonensis infections in mice,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 2, no. 6, article e249, 2008.
- D. C. Miguel, M. L. Ferraz, R. d. O. Alves et al., “The anticancer drug tamoxifen is active against Trypanosoma cruzi in vitro but ineffective in the treatment of the acute phase of Chagas disease in mice,” Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 105, no. 7, pp. 945–948, 2010.
- C. Larralde, E. Sciutto, L. Huerta et al., “Experimental cysticercosis by Taenia crassiceps in mice: factors involved in susceptibility,” Acta Leidensia, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 131–134, 1989.
- E. G. Ibarra-Coronado, G. Escobedo, K. Nava-Castro et al., “A helminth cestode parasite express an estrogen-binding protein resembling a classic nuclear estrogen receptor,” Steroids, vol. 76, no. 10-11, pp. 1149–1159, 2011.
- J. A. Vargas-Villavicencio, C. Larralde, M. A. de León-Nava, G. Escobedo, and J. Morales-Montor, “Tamoxifen treatment induces protection in murine cysticercosis,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1512–1517, 2007.
- E. Sciutto, G. Fragoso, and C. Larralde, “Taenia crassiceps as a model for Taenia solium and the S3Pvac vaccine,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 79–80, 2011.
- C. Larralde, J. Sotelo, R. M. Montoya et al., “Immunodiagnosis of human cysticercosis in cerebrospinal fluid. Antigens from murine Taenia crassiceps cysticerci effectively substitute those from porcine Taenia solium,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 114, no. 9, pp. 926–928, 1990.
- S. León-Cabrera, M. Cruz-Rivera, F. Mendlovic et al., “Standardization of an experimental model of human taeniosis for oral vaccination,” Methods, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 346–350, 2009.
- G. Escobedo, I. Camacho-Arroyo, O. T. Hernández-Hernández, P. Ostoa-Saloma, M. García-Varela, and J. Morales-Montor, “Progesterone induces scolex evagination of the human parasite Taenia solium: evolutionary implications to the host-parasite relationship,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 591079, 10 pages, 2010.
- G. Escobedo, I. Camacho-Arroyo, P. Nava-Luna, et al., “Progesterone induces mucosal immunity in a rodent model of human taeniosis by Taenia solium,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 1443–1456, 2011.
- C. Cruz-Revilla, A. Toledo, G. Rosas et al., “Effective protection against experimental Taenia solium tapeworm infection in hamsters by primo-infection and by vaccination with recombinant or synthetic heterologous antigens,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 864–867, 2006.
- E. Sciutto, G. Rosas, C. Cruz-Revilla et al., “Renewed hope for a vaccine against the intestinal adult Taenia solium,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 824–831, 2007.
- H. D. Danenberg, A. Ben-Yehuda, Z. Zakay-Rones, and G. Friedman, “Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) treatment reverses the impaired immune response of old mice to influenza vaccination and protects from influenza infection,” Vaccine, vol. 13, no. 15, pp. 1445–1448, 1995.
- T. G. Evans, M. E. Judd, T. Dowell, S. Poe, R. A. Daynes, and B. A. Araneo, “The use of oral dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate as an adjuvant in tetanus and influenza vaccination of the elderly,” Vaccine, vol. 14, no. 16, pp. 1531–1537, 1996.
- E. R. Machado, D. Carlos, C. A. Sorgi et al., “Dexamethasone effects in the Strongyloides venezuelensis infection in A murine model,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 957–966, 2011.
- L. I. Terrazas, R. Bojalil, T. Govezensky, and C. Larraide, “A role for 17-β-estradiol in immunoendocrine regulation of murine cysticercosis (Taenia crassiceps),” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 563–568, 1994.
- M. D. V. Filipin, L. C. Caetano, V. Brazão, F. H. Santello, M. P. A. Toldo, and J. C. do Prado Jr., “DHEA and testosterone therapies in Trypanosoma cruzi-infected rats are associated with thymic changes,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 98–103, 2010.
- M. R. Hepworth, M. J. Hardman, and R. K. Grencis, “The role of sex hormones in the development of Th2 immunity in a gender-biased model of Trichuris muris infection,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 406–416, 2010.
- G. Avila, L. Aguilar, M. Romero-Valdovinos, F. Garcia-Vazquez, and A. Flisser, “Cytokine response in the intestinal mucosa of hamsters infected with Taenia solium,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1149, pp. 170–173, 2008.
- H. Aguilar-Díaz, R. J. Bobes, J. C. Carrero et al., “The genome project of Taenia solium,” Parasitology International, vol. 55, pp. S127–S130, 2006.
- G. Escobedo, C. W. Roberts, J. C. Carrero, and J. Morales-Montor, “Parasite regulation by host hormones: an old mechanism of host exploitation?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 588–593, 2005.
- J. Morales-Montor, F. Mohamed, A. M. Ghaleb, S. Baig, C. Hallal-Callerost, and R. T. Damian, “In vitro effects of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA) hormones on Schistosoma mansoni,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1132–1139, 2001.
- T. R. Unnasch, J. Bradley, J. Beauchamp, R. Tuan, and M. W. Kennedy, “Characterization of a putative nuclear receptor from Onchocerca volvulus,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 259–269, 1999.
- S. A. Loo, L. A. Lesoon-Wood, and R. V. Cooney, “Effects of tamoxifen on nitric oxide synthesis and neoplastic transformation in C3H 10T1/2 fibroblasts,” Cancer Letters, vol. 122, no. 1-2, pp. 67–75, 1998.