- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 280512, 6 pages
Antibacterial Activity of Nanocomposites of Copper and Cellulose
1Department of Chemistry; CICECO, University of Aveiro, 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
2Innovhub-SSI Divisione Carta, Via Giuseppe Colombo, 83-20133 Milan, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 26 September 2013; Accepted 1 October 2013
Academic Editor: Hélder A. Santos
Copyright © 2013 Ricardo J. B. Pinto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- R. J. B. Pinto, M. C. Neves, C. Pascoal Neto, and T. Trindade, “Composites of cellulose and metal nanoparticles,” in Nanocomposites-New Trends and Developments, F. Ebrahimi, Ed., pp. 73–96, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2012.
- J. P. Ruparelia, A. K. Chatterjee, S. P. Duttagupta, and S. Mukherji, “Strain specificity in antimicrobial activity of silver and copper nanoparticles,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 707–716, 2008.
- A. Llorens, E. Lloret, P. A. Picouet, R. Trbojevich, and A. Fernandez, “Metallic-based micro and nanocomposites in food contact materials and active food packaging,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2012.
- M. J. Hajipour, K. M. Fromm, A. A. Ashkarran et al., “Antibacterial properties of nanoparticles,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 499–511, 2012.
- P. V. AshaRani, G. L. K. Mun, M. P. Hande, and S. Valiyaveettil, “Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of silver nanoparticles in human cells,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 279–290, 2009.
- M. V. D. Z. Park, A. M. Neigh, J. P. Vermeulen et al., “The effect of particle size on the cytotoxicity, inflammation, developmental toxicity and genotoxicity of silver nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 36, pp. 9810–9817, 2011.
- N. C. Cady, J. L. Behnke, and A. D. Strickland, “Copper-based nanostructured coatings on natural cellulose: nanocomposites exhibiting rapid and efficient inhibition of a multi-drug resistant wound pathogen, A. baumannii, and mammalian cell biocompatibility in vitro,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 2506–2514, 2011.
- J. R. Turnlund, “Human whole-body copper metabolism,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 67, supplement 5, pp. 960S–964S, 1998.
- K.-Y. Yoon, J. H. Byeon, J.-H. Park, and J. Hwang, “Susceptibility constants of Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis to silver and copper nanoparticles,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 373, no. 2-3, pp. 572–575, 2007.
- K. C. Anyaogu, A. V. Fedorov, and D. C. Neckers, “Synthesis, characterization, and antifouling potential of functionalized copper nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 4340–4346, 2008.
- R. J. B. Pinto, M. C. Neves, C. Pascoal Neto, and T. Trindade, “Growth and chemical stability of copper nanostructures on cellulosic fibers,” European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 2012, no. 31, pp. 5043–5049, 2012.
- M. Valodkar, P. S. Rathore, R. N. Jadeja, M. Thounaojam, R. V. Devkar, and S. Thakore, “Cytotoxicity evaluation and antimicrobial studies of starch capped water soluble copper nanoparticles,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 201-202, pp. 244–249, 2012.
- L. F. Qi, Z. R. Xu, X. Jiang, Y. Li, and M. Wang, “Cytotoxic activities of chitosan nanoparticles and copper-loaded nanoparticles,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1397–1399, 2005.
- S. V. Manorama, P. Basak, and S. Singh, “Anti-microbial polymer nanocomposites,” in Nanocomposite Particles for Bio-Applications, T. Trindade and A. L. Daniel-da-Silva, Eds., pp. 249–264, Pan Stanford, Singapora, 2011.
- R. J. B. Pinto, P. A. A. P. Marques, C. P. Neto, T. Trindade, S. Daina, and P. Sadocco, “Antibacterial activity of nanocomposites of silver and bacterial or vegetable cellulosic fibers,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 2279–2289, 2009.
- R. J. B. Pinto, S. C. M. Fernandes, C. S. R. Freire et al., “Antibacterial activity of optically transparent nanocomposite films based on chitosan or its derivatives and silver nanoparticles,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 348, pp. 77–83, 2012.
- B. H. Loo, Y. G. Lee, E. J. Liang, and W. Kiefer, “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering from ferrocyanide and ferricyanide ions adsorbed on silver and copper colloids,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 297, no. 1-2, pp. 83–89, 1998.
- Y. Chang, M. L. Lye, and H. C. Zeng, “Large-scale synthesis of high-quality ultralong copper nanowires,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 3746–3748, 2005.
- D. Mott, J. Galkowski, L. Wang, J. Luo, and C. Zhong, “Synthesis of size-controlled and shaped copper nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 5740–5745, 2007.
- S. Jadhav, S. Gaikwad, M. Nimse, and A. Rajbhoj, “Copper oxide nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization and their antibacterial activity,” Journal of Cluster Science, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 2011.
- I. Sondi and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- N. A. Amro, L. P. Kotra, K. Wadu-Mesthrige, A. Bulychev, S. Mobashery, and G. Liu, “High-resolution atomic force microscopy studies of the Escherichia coli outer membrane: structural basis for permeability,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 2789–2796, 2000.
- M. A. Vargas-Reus, K. Memarzadeh, J. Huang, G. G. Ren, and R. P. Allaker, “Antimicrobial activity of nanoparticulate metal oxides against peri-implantitis pathogens,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 2012.
- S. Pal, Y. K. Tak, and J. M. Song, “Does the antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles depend on the shape of the nanoparticle? A study of the gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1712–1720, 2007.