- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 281392, 6 pages
Pharmacokinetics and Bioequivalence Evaluation of Cyclobenzaprine Tablets
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of São Paulo, 580 Avenida Prof. Lineu Prestes, 05508900 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editor: Sami M. Nazzal
Copyright © 2013 Tatiane Maria de Lima Souza Brioschi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Chou, K. Peterson, and M. Helfand, “Comparative efficacy and safety of skeletal muscle relaxants for spasticity and musculoskeletal conditions: a systematic review,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 140–175, 2004.
- P. P. Toth and J. Urtis, “Commonly used muscle relaxant therapies for acute low back pain: a review of carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride, and metaxalone,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1355–1367, 2004.
- W. A. Katz and J. Dube, “Cyclobenzaprine in the treatment of acute muscle spasm: review of a decade of clinical experience,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 216–228, 1988.
- N. N. Share and C. S. McFarlane, “Cyclobenzaprine: a novel centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 675–684, 1975.
- W. J. Sullivan, A. Panagos, P. M. Foye, A. W. Sable, R. W. Irwin, and J. P. Zuhosky, “Industrial medicine and acute musculoskeletal rehabilitation. 2. Medications for the treatment of acute musculoskeletal pain,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 88, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. S10–S13, 2007.
- S. See and R. Ginzburg, “Skeletal muscle relaxants,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 207–213, 2008.
- M. W. Van Tulder, T. Touray, A. D. Furlan, S. Solway, and L. M. Bouter, “Muscle relaxants for nonspecific low back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane Collaboration,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 17, pp. 1978–1992, 2003.
- D. L. Goldenberg, “Pharmacological treatment of fibromyalgia and other chronic musculoskeletal pain,” Best Practice and Research. Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 499–511, 2007.
- A. E. Till, M. L. Constanzer, J. Demetriades, J. D. Irvin, R. B. Lee, and R. K. Ferguson, “Evidence for route dependent biotransformation of cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride,” Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 1982.
- H. B. Hucker, S. C. Stauffer, K. S. Albert, and B. W. Lei, “Plasma levels and bioavilability of cyclobenzaprine in human subjects,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 17, no. 11-12, pp. 719–727, 1977.
- G. A. Winchell, J. D. King, C. M. Chavez-Eng, M. L. Constanzer, and S. H. Korn, “Cyclobenzaprine pharmacokinetics, including the effects of age, gender, and hepatic insufficiency,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 61–69, 2002.
- H. B. Hucker, S. C. Stauffer, A. J. Balletto, S. D. White, A. G. Zacchei, and B. H. Arison, “Physiological disposition and metabolism of cyclobenzaprine in the rat, dog, rhesus monkey, and man,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 659–672, 1978.
- R. W. Wang, L. Liu, and H. Cheng, “Identification of human liver cytochrome P450 isoforms involved in the in vitro metabolism of cyclobenzaprine,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 786–791, 1996.
- M. Darwish, E. T. Hellriegel, and F. Xie, “Single-dose pharmacokinetics of once-daily cyclobenzaprine extended release 30 mg versus cyclobenzaprine immediate release 10 mg three times daily in healthy young adults: a randomized, open-label, two-period crossover, single-centre study,” Clinical Drug Investigation, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 793–801, 2008.
- M. Darwish and F. Xie, “Effect of food on the pharmacokinetics of once-daily cyclobenzaprine extended-release 30 mg: a randomized, open-label, crossover, single-centre study,” Clinical Drug Investigation, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 145–152, 2009.
- M. Darwish, S. Chang, and E. T. Hellriegel, “A pharmacokinetic comparison of single doses of once-daily cyclobenzaprine extended-release 15 mg and 30 mg: a randomized, double-blind, two-period crossover study in healthy volunteers,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2009.
- M. Darwish and E. T. Hellriegel, “Steady-state pharmacokinetics of once-daily cyclobenzaprine extended release: a randomized, double-blind, 2-Period Crossover Study in healthy volunteers,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 746–753, 2011.
- S. C. Chow and J. P. Liu, Design and Analysis of Bioavailability and Bioequivalence Studies, chapter 1, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- H. M. Abdou, Dissolution, Bioavailability and Bioequivalence, Bioequivalence—General Definitions, chapter 26, Mack Printing Company, Easton, Pa, USA, 1989.
- D. B. Faber, “Separation of cyclobenzaprine from biological samples and its determination by thin-layer chromatography followed by densitometry,” Journal of Chromatography, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 85–98, 1972.
- H. B. Hucker and S. C. Stauffer, “GLC determination of cyclobenzaprine in plasma and urine,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1253–1255, 1976.
- M. L. Constanzer, W. C. Vincek, and W. F. Bayne, “Determination of cyclobenzaprine in plasma and urine using capillary gas chromatography with nitrogen-selective detection,” Journal of Chromatography, vol. 339, no. 2, pp. 414–418, 1985.
- M. Constanzer, C. Chavez, and B. Matuszewski, “Development and comparison of high-performance liquid chromatographic methods with tandem mass spectrometric and ultraviolet absorbance detection for the determination of cyclobenzaprine in human plasma and urine,” Journal of Chromatography. B, Biomedical Applications, vol. 666, no. 1, pp. 117–126, 1995.
- P. T. R. Hwang, D. A. Young, A. B. Straughn, and M. C. Meyer, “Quantitative determination of cyclobenzaprine in human plasma by high pressure liquid chromatography,” Journal of Liquid Chromatography, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1163–1171, 1993.
- R. Causon, “Validation of chromatographic methods in biomedical analysis. Viewpoint and discussion,” Journal of Chromatography. B, Biomedical Sciences and Applications, vol. 689, no. 1, pp. 175–180, 1997.
- F. Bressolle, M. Bromet-Petit, and M. Audran, “Validation of liquid chromatographic and gas chromatographic methods. Applications to pharmacokinetics,” Journal of Chromatography. B, Biomedical Sciences and Applications, vol. 686, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 1996.
- S. Braggio, R. J. Barnaby, P. Grossi, and M. Cugola, “A strategy for validation of bioanalytical methods,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 375–388, 1996.
- L. Shargel, S. Wu-Pong, and A. B. C. Yu, Applied Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 2012.
- S. Vergne, K. Titier, V. Bernard et al., “Bioavailability and urinary excretion of isoflavones in humans: effects of soy-based supplements formulation and equol production,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1488–1494, 2007.
- P. Macheras and P. Argyrakis, “Gastrointestinal drug absorption: is it time to consider heterogeneity as well as homogeneity?” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 842–847, 1997.
- G. L. Amidon, H. Lennernas, V. P. Shah, and J. R. Crison, “A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 413–420, 1995.
- L. X. Yu, G. L. Amidon, J. E. Polli et al., “Biopharmaceutics classification system: the scientific basis for biowaiver extensions,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 921–925, 2002.
- G. M. Zentner, G. S. Rork, and K. J. Himmelstein, “The controlled porosity osmotic pump,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 269–282, 1985.