- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 283985, 12 pages
Analysis of Activated Platelet-Derived Growth Factor β Receptor and Ras-MAP Kinase Pathway in Equine Sarcoid Fibroblasts
1Department of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Production, University of Naples Federico II, Via Veterinaria, 180137 Napoli, Italy
2MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research, Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, Bearsden Road, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
3University College London, Internal Medicine, Division of Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Received 14 February 2013; Revised 3 June 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Marcelo Palma Sircili
Copyright © 2013 Gennaro Altamura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Borzacchiello and A. Corteggio, “Equine sarcoid: state of the art,” Ippologia, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 7–14, 2009.
- A. Martens, A. De Moor, J. Demeulemeester, and R. Ducatelle, “Histopathological characteristics of five clinical types of equine sarcoid,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 295–300, 2000.
- D. W. Scott and W. H. Miller, “Equine dermatology,” Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 65–67, 2003.
- W. D. Lancaster, G. H. Theilen, and C. Olson, “Hybridization of bovine papilloma virus type 1 and type 2 DNA to DNA from virus-induced hamster tumors and naturally occurring equine tumors,” Intervirology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 227–233, 1979.
- N. T. Gorman, “Equine sarcoid—time for optimism,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 412–414, 1985.
- L. Nasir and M. S. Campo, “Bovine papillomaviruses: their role in the aetiology of cutaneous tumours of bovids and equids,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 243–254, 2008.
- G. Borzacchiello and F. Roperto, “Bovine papillomaviruses, papillomas and cancer in cattle,” Veterinary Research, vol. 39, no. 5, article 45, 2008.
- L. Nasir and S. W. J. Reid, “Bovine papillomaviral gene expression in equine sarcoid tumours,” Virus Research, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 1999.
- E. A. Carr, A. P. Théon, B. R. Madewell, M. E. Hitchcock, R. Schlegel, and J. T. Schiller, “Expression of a transforming gene (E5) of bovine papillomavirus in sarcoids obtained from horses,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1212–1217, 2001.
- G. Chambers, V. A. Ellsmore, P. M. O'Brien et al., “Sequence variants of bovine papillomavirus E5 detected in equine sarcoids,” Virus Research, vol. 96, no. 1-2, pp. 141–145, 2003.
- G. Borzacchiello, V. Russo, L. Della Salda, S. Roperto, and F. Roperto, “Expression of platelet-derived growth factor-beta receptor and bovine papillomavirus E5 and E7 oncoproteins in equine sarcoid,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 231–237, 2008.
- A. Corteggio, G. Altamura, F. Roperto, and G. Borzacchiello, “Bovine papillomavirus E5 and E7 oncoproteins in naturally occurring tumors: are two better than one?” Infectious Agents and Cancer, vol. 8, article 1, 2013.
- A. Venuti, F. Paolini, L. Nasir et al., “Papillomavirus E5: the smallest oncoprotein with many functions,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 10, article 140, 2011.
- W. D. Pennie, G. J. Grindlay, M. Cairney, and M. S. Campo, “Analysis of the transforming functions of bovine papillomavirus type 4,” Virology, vol. 193, no. 2, pp. 614–620, 1993.
- G. Borzacchiello, V. Russo, F. Gentile et al., “Bovine papillomavirus E5 oncoprotein binds to the activated form of the platelet-derived growth factor β receptor in naturally occurring bovine urinary bladder tumours,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1251–1260, 2006.
- D. DiMaio and D. Mattoon, “Mechanisms of cell transformation by papillomavirus E5 proteins,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 54, pp. 7866–7873, 2001.
- D. J. Goldstein, W. Li, L.-M. Wang et al., “The bovine papillomavirus type 1 E5 transforming protein specifically binds and activates the β-type receptor for the platelet-derived growth factor but not other related tyrosine kinase-containing receptors to induce cellular transformation,” Journal of Virology, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 4432–4441, 1994.
- L. Petti, L. A. Nilson, and D. DiMaio, “Activation of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor by the bovine papillomavirus E5 transforming protein,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 845–855, 1991.
- V. M. Nappi and L. M. Petti, “Multiple transmembrane amino acid requirements suggest a highly specific interaction between the bovine papillomavirus E5 oncoprotein and the platelet-derived growth factor beta receptor,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 16, pp. 7976–7986, 2002.
- C.-C. Lai, C. Henningson, and D. Dimaio, “Bovine papillomavirus E5 protein induces oligomerization and trans-phosphorylation of the platelet-derived growth factor β receptor,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 26, pp. 15241–15246, 1998.
- O. Klein, D. Kegler-Ebo, J. Su, S. Smith, and D. DiMaio, “The bovine papillomavirus E5 protein requires a juxtamembrane negative charge for activation of the platelet-derived growth factor β receptor and transformation of C127 cells,” Journal of Virology, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 3264–3272, 1999.
- L. M. Petti, E. C. Ricciardi, H. J. Page, and K. A. Porter, “Transforming signals resulting from sustained activation of the PDGFβ receptor in mortal human fibroblasts,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 121, no. 8, pp. 1172–1182, 2008.
- S. Roperto, G. Borzacchiello, I. Esposito et al., “Productive infection of bovine papillomavirus type 2 in the placenta of pregnant cows affected with urinary bladder tumors,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e33569, 2012.
- G. Borzacchiello, S. Mogavero, G. De Vita, S. Roperto, L. Della Salda, and F. Roperto, “Activated platelet-derived growth factor β receptor expression, PI3K-AKT pathway molecular analysis, and transforming signals in equine sarcoids,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 589–597, 2009.
- A. Corteggio, O. Di Geronimo, S. Roperto, F. Roperto, and G. Borzacchiello, “Activated platelet-derived growth factor β receptor and Ras-mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in natural bovine urinary bladder carcinomas,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 191, no. 3, pp. 393–395, 2012.
- A. Carnero, “The PKB/AKT pathway in cancer,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 34–44, 2010.
- S. J. Moeller, E. D. Head, and R. J. Sheaff, “p27Kip1 inhibition of GRB2-SOS formation can regulate Ras activation,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 3735–3752, 2003.
- M. Dance, A. Montagner, J.-P. Salles, A. Yart, and P. Raynal, “The molecular functions of Shp2 in the Ras/Mitogen-activated protein kinase (ERK1/2) pathway,” Cellular Signalling, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 453–459, 2008.
- N. A. Lokker, C. M. Sullivan, S. J. Hollenbach, M. A. Israel, and N. A. Giese, “Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) autocrine signaling regulates survival and mitogenic pathways in glioblastoma cells: evidence that the novel PDGF-C and PDGF-D ligands may play a role in the development of brain tumors,” Cancer Research, vol. 62, no. 13, pp. 3729–3735, 2002.
- B. J. Druker, S. Tamura, E. Buchdunger et al., “Effects of a selective inhibitor of the Ab1 tyrosine kinase on the growth of Bcr-Ab1 positive cells,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 561–566, 1996.
- E. Buchdunger, J. Zimmermann, H. Mett et al., “Inhibition of the Abl protein-tyrosine kinase in vitro and in vivo by a 2- phenylaminopyrimidine derivative,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 100–104, 1996.
- E. Buchdunger, C. L. Cioffi, N. Law et al., “Abl protein-tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 inhibits in vitro signal transduction mediated by c-Kit and platelet-derived growth factor receptors,” The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 295, no. 1, pp. 139–145, 2000.
- T. Kilic, J. A. Alberta, P. R. Zdunek et al., “Intracranial inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor-mediated glioblastoma cell growth by an orally active kinase inhibitor of the 2-phenylaminopyrimidine class,” Cancer Research, vol. 60, no. 18, pp. 5143–5150, 2000.
- B. P. Rubin, S. M. Schuetze, J. F. Eary et al., “Molecular targeting of platelet-derived growth factor B by imatinib mesylate in a patient with metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 17, pp. 3586–3591, 2002.
- T. Sjöblom, A. Shimizu, K. P. O'Brien et al., “Growth inhibition of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans tumors by the platelet-derived growth factor receptor antagonist STI571 through induction of apoptosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 15, pp. 5778–5783, 2001.
- E. C. McGary, K. Weber, L. Mills et al., “Inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor-mediated proliferation of osteosarcoma cells by the novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 3584–3591, 2002.
- R. E. Gilbert, D. J. Kelly, T. McKay et al., “PDGF signal transduction inhibition ameliorates experimental mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis,” Kidney International, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 1324–1332, 2001.
- B. J. Druker and N. B. Lydon, “Lessons learned from the development of an Abl tyrosine kinase inhibitor for chronic myelogenous leukemia,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2000.
- M. J. Mauro, M. O'Dwyer, M. C. Heinrich, and B. J. Druker, “STI571: a paradigm of new agents for cancer therapeutics,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 325–334, 2002.
- G. W. Krystal, S. Honsawek, J. Litz, and E. Buchdunger, “The selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 inhibits small cell lung cancer growth,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 3319–3326, 2000.
- A. T. van Oosterom, I. Judson, J. Verweij et al., “Safety and efficacy of imatinib (STI571) in metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumours: a phase I study,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9291, pp. 1421–1423, 2001.
- A. T. van Oosterom, I. R. Judson, J. Verweij et al., “Update of phase I study of imatinib (STI571) in advanced soft tissue sarcomas and gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a report of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 38, supplement 5, pp. S83–S87, 2002.
- M. Isotani, N. Ishida, M. Tominaga et al., “Effect of tyrosine kinase inhibition by imatinib mesylate on mast cell tumors in dogs,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 985–988, 2008.
- L. Marconato, G. Bettini, C. Giacoboni et al., “Clinicopathological features and outcome for dogs with mast cell tumors and bone marrow involvement,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1001–1007, 2008.
- O. Yamada, M. Kobayashi, O. Sugisaki et al., “Imatinib elicited a favorable response in a dog with a mast cell tumor carrying a c-kit c.1523A>T mutation via suppression of constitutive KIT activation,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 142, no. 1-2, pp. 101–106, 2011.
- J. L. Lachowicz, G. S. Post, and E. Brodsky, “A phase I clinical trial evaluating imatinib mesylate (Gleevec) in tumor-bearing cats,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 860–864, 2005.
- R. Katayama, M. K. Huelsmeyer, A. K. Marr, I. D. Kurzman, D. H. Thamm, and D. M. Vail, “Imatinib mesylate inhibits platelet-derived growth factor activity and increases chemosensitivity in feline vaccine-associated sarcoma,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2004.
- Z. Q. Yuan, E. A. Gault, P. Gobeil, C. Nixon, M. S. Campo, and L. Nasir, “Establishment and characterization of equine fibroblast cell lines transformed in vivo and in vitro by BPV-1: Model systems for equine sarcoids,” Virology, vol. 373, no. 2, pp. 352–361, 2008.
- Z. Yuan, E. A. Gault, M. Saveria Campo, and L. Nasir, “Different contribution of bovine papillomavirus type 1 oncoproteins to the transformation of equine fibroblasts,” The Journal of General Virology, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 773–783, 2011.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- G. Borzacchiello, V. Russo, C. Spoleto et al., “Bovine papillomavirus type-2 DNA and expression of E5 and E7 oncoproteins in vascular tumours of the urinary bladder in cattle,” Cancer Letters, vol. 250, no. 1, pp. 82–91, 2007.
- M. A. Silva, G. Altamura, A. Corteggio, et al., “Expression of connexin 26 and bovine papillomavirus E5 in cutaneous fibropapillomas of cattle,” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 337–343, 2013.
- M. S. Campo, R. E. McCaffery, I. Doherty, I. M. Kennedy, and W. F. H. Jarrett, “The Harvey ras 1 gene is activated in papillomavirus-associated carcinomas of the upper alimentary canal in cattle,” Oncogene, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 303–308, 1990.
- J. Ghai, R. S. Ostrow, J. Tolar et al., “The E5 gene product of rhesus papillomavirus is an activator of endogenous Ras and phosphatidylinositol-3′-kinase in NIH 3T3 cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 23, pp. 12879–12884, 1996.
- M. Zago, M. S. Campo, and V. O'Brien, “Cyclin A expression and growth in suspension can be uncoupled from p27 deregulation and extracellular signal-regulated kinase activity in cells transformed by bovine papillomavirus type 4 E5,” The Journal of General Virology, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 3585–3595, 2004.
- A. Corteggio, O. Di Geronimo, S. Roperto, F. Roperto, and G. Borzacchiello, “Bovine papillomavirus E7 oncoprotein binds to p600 in naturally occurring equine sarcoids,” The Journal of General Virology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 378–382, 2011.
- S. H. Song, J. K. Lee, J. Y. Hur, I. Kim, H. S. Saw, and Y. K. Park, “The expression of epidermal growth factor receptor, vascular endothelial growth factor, matrix metalloproteinase-2, and cyclooxygenase-2 in relation to human papilloma viral load and persistence of human papillomavirus after conization with negative margins,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 2009–2017, 2006.
- T. R. Golub, G. F. Barker, M. Lovett, and D. Gary Gilliland, “Fusion of PDGF receptor β to a novel ets-like gene, tel, in chronic myelomonocytic leukemia with t(5;12) chromosomal translocation,” Cell, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 307–316, 1994.
- M. C. Heinrich, C. L. Corless, A. Duensing et al., “PDGFRA activating mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Science, vol. 299, no. 5607, pp. 708–710, 2003.
- S. Hirota, A. Ohashi, T. Nishida et al., “Gain-of-function mutations of platelet-derived growth factor receptor α gene in gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Gastroenterology, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 660–667, 2003.
- S. Hirota, “Gain-of-function mutation of c-kit gene and molecular target therapy in GISTs,” Japanese Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2003.
- N. Sirvent, G. Maire, and F. Pedeutour, “Genetics of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans family of tumors: from ring chromosomes to tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatment,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2003.
- M. Giantin, M. Vascellari, E. M. Morello et al., “c-KIT messenger RNA and protein expression and mutations in canine cutaneous mast cell tumors: correlations with post-surgical prognosis,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 116–126, 2012.
- I. Matsumura, M. Mizuki, and Y. Kanakura, “Roles for deregulated receptor tyrosine kinases and their downstream signaling molecules in hematologic malignancies,” Cancer Science, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 479–485, 2008.
- A. Burkhardt, M. Willingham, C. Gay, K.-T. Jeang, and R. Schlegel, “The E5 oncoprotein of bovine papillomavirus is oriented asymmetrically in Golgi and plasma membranes,” Virology, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 334–339, 1989.
- K. Talbert-Slagle and D. DiMaio, “The bovine papillomavirus E5 protein and the PDGF β receptor: it takes two to tango,” Virology, vol. 384, no. 2, pp. 345–351, 2009.
- C. A. London, “Tyrosine kinase inhibitors in veterinary medicine,” Topics in Companion Animal Medicine, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 106–112, 2009.
- J. Nilsson, J. Thyberg, C. H. Heldin, B. Westermark, and A. Wasteson, “Surface binding and internalization of platelet-derived growth factor in human fibroblasts,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 80, no. 181, pp. 5592–5596, 1983.
- J. L. Goldstein, M. S. Brown, R. G. Anderson, D. W. Russell, and W. J. Schneider, “Receptor-mediated endocytosis: concepts emerging from the LDL receptor system,” Annual Review of Cell Biology, vol. 1, pp. 1–39, 1985.