- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 284821, 7 pages
Epiretinal Membranes in Patients with Uveitis: Morphological and Functional Analysis with Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography
1Department of Ophthalmology, Sapienza University of Rome, 15500161 Rome, Italy
2Servizio di Immunovirologia Oculare, Sapienza Università di Roma, Viale del Policlinico, 15500161 Rome, Italy
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 22 September 2013; Accepted 22 September 2013
Academic Editor: Timothy Y. Lai
Copyright © 2013 Ludovico Iannetti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Sheybani, G. J. Harocopos, and P. K. Rao, “Immunohistochemical study of epiretinal membranes in patients with uveitis,” Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection, vol. 2, pp. 243–248, 2012.
- S. Charles, “Techniques and tools for dissection of epiretinal membranes,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 241, no. 5, pp. 347–352, 2003.
- W. E. Smiddy, A. M. Maguire, W. R. Green et al., “Idiopathic epiretinal membranes: ultrastructural characteristics and clinicopathologic correlation,” Retina, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 811–821, 2005.
- A. Kampik, K. R. Kenyon, R. G. Michels, W. R. Green, and Z. C. de la Cruz, “Epiretinal and vitreous membranes: comparative study of 56 cases,” Retina, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1445–1454, 2005.
- C. A. Puliafito, M. R. Hee, C. P. Lin et al., “Imaging of macular diseases with optical coherence tomography,” Ophthalmology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 217–229, 1995.
- S. Wolf and U. Wolf-Schnurrbusch, “Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography use in macular diseases: a review,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 224, no. 6, pp. 333–340, 2010.
- L. Iannetti, G. Spinucci, A. Abbouda, D. De Geronimo, P. Tortorella, and M. Accorinti, “Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in uveitic macular edema: morphological features and prognostic factors,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 228, pp. 13–18, 2012.
- S. F. Oster, F. Mojana, M. Brar, R. M. S. Yuson, L. Cheng, and W. R. Freeman, “Disruption of the photoreceptor inner segment/outer segment layer on spectral domain-optical coherence tomography is a predictor of poor visual acuity in patients with epiretinal membranes,” Retina, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 713–718, 2010.
- S. Arichika, M. Hangai, and N. Yoshimura, “Correlation between thickening of the inner and outer retina and visual acuity in patients with epiretinal membrane,” Retina, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 503–508, 2010.
- J. E. Legarreta, G. Gregori, R. W. Knighton, O. S. Punjabi, G. A. Lalwani, and C. A. Puliafito, “Three dimensional spectral-domain optical coherence tomography images of the retina in the presence of epiretinal membranes,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 145, no. 6, pp. 1023–1030, 2008.
- C. I. Falkner-Radler, C. Glittenberg, S. Hagen, T. Benesch, and S. Binder, “Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography for monitoring epiretinal membrane surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 798–805, 2010.
- H. Nazari, L. Dustin, F. M. Heussen, S. Sadda, and N. A. Rao, “Morphometric spectral-domain optical coherence tomography features of epiretinal membrane correlate with visual acuity in patients with uveitis,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 15, pp. 78–86, 2012.
- N. Unoki, K. Nishijima, M. Kita, R. Hayashi, and N. Yoshimura, “Structural changes of fovea during remission of Behçet's disease as imaged by spectral domain optical coherence tomography,” Eye, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 969–975, 2010.
- H. Nazari and N. Rao, “Longitudinal morphometric analysis of epiretinal membrane in patients with uveitis,” Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, 2012.
- J. R. Wilkins, C. A. Puliafito, M. R. Hee et al., “Characterization of epiretinal membranes using optical coherence tomography,” Ophthalmology, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 2142–2151, 1996.
- P. Massin, C. Allouch, B. Haouchine et al., “Optical coherence tomography of idiopathic macular epiretinal membranes before and after surgery,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 732–739, 2000.
- T. Suzuki, H. Terasaki, T. Niwa, M. Mori, M. Kondo, and Y. Miyake, “Optical coherence tomography and focal macular electroretinogram in eyes with epiretinal membrane and macular pseudohole,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2003.
- H. C. Koo, W. I. Rhim, and E. K. Lee, “Morphologic and functional association of retinal layers beneath the epiretinal membrane with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in eyes without photoreceptor abnormality,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 250, pp. 491–498, 2012.
- D. A. Jabs, R. B. Nussenblatt, and J. T. Rosenbaum, “Standardization of uveitis nomenclature for reporting clinical data. Results of the first international workshop,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 509–516, 2005.
- R Core Team, “R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,” Vienna, Austria, 2012, http://www.R-project.org/.
- R. H. B. Christensen, “Ordinal-regression models for ordinal data,” R package version 22, 2010.
- R. H. B. Christensen, “Analysis of ordinal data with cumulative link models-estimation with the R-package ordinal,” 2011.
- D. A. Jabs, “Improving the reporting of clinical case series,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 900–905, 2005.
- P. Gupta, A. A. Sadun, and J. Sebag, “Multifocal retinal contraction in macular pucker analyzed by combined optical coherence tomography/scanning laser ophthalmoscopy,” Retina, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 447–452, 2008.
- P. S. Hiscott, W. G. Unger, I. Grierson, and D. McLeod, “The role of inflammation in the development of epiretinal membranes,” Current Eye Research, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 877–892, 1988.
- M. Inoue, S. Morita, Y. Watanabe et al., “Inner segment/outer segment junction assessed by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in patients with idiopathic epiretinal membrane,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 834–839, 2010.
- A. S. Maheshwary, S. F. Oster, R. M. S. Yuson, L. Cheng, F. Mojana, and W. R. Freeman, “The association between percent disruption of the photoreceptor inner segment-outer segment junction and visual acuity in diabetic macular edema,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 2010.
- F. Okamoto, Y. Sugiura, Y. Okamoto, T. Hiraoka, and T. Oshika, “Associations between metamorphopsia and foveal microstructure in patients with epiretinal membrane,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 53, pp. 6770–6775, 2012.
- M. Inoue, S. Morita, Y. Watanabe et al., “Preoperative inner segment/outer segment junction in spectral-domain optical coherence tomography as a prognostic factor in epiretinal membrane surgery,” Retina, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1366–1372, 2011.
- C. Harada, Y. Mitamura, and T. Harada, “The role of cytokines and trophic factors in epiretinal membranes: involvement of signal transduction in glial cells,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 149–164, 2006.
- L. Iannetti, M. Accorinti, R. Malagola et al., “Role of the intravitreal growth factors in the pathogenesis of idiopathic epiretinal membrane,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 5786–5789, 2011.