- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 285420, 4 pages
Occupational Allergic Diseases in Kitchen and Health Care Workers: An Underestimated Health Issue
1Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, 9026480 Eskisehir, Turkey
2Ankara Cankaya 4th Primary Care, 9006100 Ankara, Turkey
3Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Dumlupinar University, 9043100 Kutahya, Turkey
Received 22 August 2013; Revised 14 October 2013; Accepted 14 October 2013
Academic Editor: Ralph Mösges
Copyright © 2013 Ugur Bilge et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Leynaert, C. Neukirch, R. Liard, J. Bousquet, and F. Neukirch, “Quality of life in allergic rhinitis and asthma: a population-based study of young adults,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 4, part 1, pp. 1391–1396, 2000.
- J. Bousquet, P. van Cauwenberge, and N. Khaltaev, “Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 108, no. 5, supplemet, pp. S147–S334, 2001.
- D. Peden and C. E. Reed, “Environmental and occupational allergies,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 125, no. 2, supplement 2, pp. S150–S160, 2010.
- G. Moscato, P. Pignatti, M.-R. Yacoub, C. Romano, S. Spezia, and L. Perfetti, “Occupational asthma and occupational rhinitis in hairdressers,” Chest, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 3590–3598, 2005.
- K. Svendsen, A. K. Sjaastad, and I. Sivertsen, “Respiratory symptoms in kitchen workers,” The American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 436–439, 2003.
- P. I. Ruoppi, T. M. Husman, M. H. Reiman, J. Nuutinen, A. M. Hyvärinen, and A. I. Nevalainen, “Nasal symptoms among residents in moldy housing,” Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 461–467, 2003.
- J.-P. Zock, M. Kogevinas, J. Sunyer et al., “Asthma risk, cleaning activities and use of specific cleaning products among Spanish indoor cleaners,” Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2001.
- T. S. Higgins and D. D. Reh, “Environmental pollutants and allergic rhinitis,” Current Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 209–214, 2012.
- K. M. Venables and M. Chan-Yeung, “Occupational asthma,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9063, pp. 1465–1469, 1997.
- S. Meredith, “Reported incidence of occupational asthma in the United Kingdom, 1989–90,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 459–463, 1993.
- M. Chan-Yeung and J.-L. Malo, “Aetiological agents in occupational asthma,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 346–371, 1994.
- K. Sato, Y. Kusaka, N. Suganuma, S. Nagasawa, and Y. Deguchi, “Occupational allergy in medical doctors,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 2004.
- G. L. Delclos, D. Gimeno, A. A. Arif et al., “Occupational risk factors and asthma among health care professionals,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 175, no. 7, pp. 667–675, 2007.
- C. E. Mapp, P. Boschetto, P. Maestrelli, and L. M. Fabbri, “Occupational asthma,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 280–305, 2005.
- E. Pechter, L. K. Davis, C. Tumpowsky et al., “Work-related asthma among health care workers: surveillance data from California, Massachusetts, Michigan, and New Jersey, 1993–1997,” The American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 265–275, 2005.
- J. Ameille, A. Larbanois, A. Descatha, and O. Vandenplas, “Epidemiology and aetiological agents of occupational asthma,” Revue des Maladies Respiratoires, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 726–740, 2006.
- D. A. Ramirez Jr and S. L. Bahna, “Food hypersensitivity by inhalation,” Clinical and Molecular Allergy, vol. 7, article 4, 2009.
- S. Meredith and H. Nordman, “Occupational asthma: measures of frequency from four countries,” Thorax, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 435–440, 1996.
- J.-L. Malo, C. Lemière, A. Desjardins, and A. Cartier, “Prevalence and intensity of rhinoconjunctivitis in subjects with occupational asthma,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1513–1515, 1997.
- D. Coggon, B. Pannett, C. Osmond, and E. D. Acheson, “A survey of cancer and occupation in young and middle aged men. I. Cancers of the respiratory tract,” British Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 332–338, 1986.
- E. Lund, Kokker og dødelighet av kreft. (Cancer and mortality in cooks) Rapport fra Direktoratet for Arbeidstilsynet, Direktoratet for Arbeidstilsynet, Oslo, Norway, 1986.
- J. Borgan and L. Kristoffersen, DødelIghet I Yrker Og sosIoøkonomIskegrupper 1970–1980. (MortalIty By occupatIon and socIo-economIc Group In Norway 1970–1980) Norsk statIstIkk, Statistisk Sentralbyrå, Oslo, Norway, 1986.
- T. Storaas, S. K. Steinsvåg, E. Florvaag, Å. Irgens, and T. B. Aasen, “Occupational rhinitis: diagnostic criteria, relation to lower airway symptoms and IgE sensitization in bakery workers,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 125, no. 11, pp. 1211–1217, 2005.
- K. Sato, Y. Kusaka, Q. Zhang et al., “An epidemiological study of the mercury sensitization,” Allergology International, vol. 46, pp. 201–206, 1997.
- V. Nagendran, J. Wicking, A. Ekbote, T. Onyekwe, and L. H. Garvey, “IgE-mediated chlorhexidine allergy: a new occupational hazard?” Occupational Medicine, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 270–272, 2009.
- G. Moscato, O. Vandenplas, R. G. van Wijk, J. L. Malo, L. Perfetti, S. Quirce, et al., “EAACI position paper on occupational rhinitis,” Respiratory Research, vol. 10, article 16, 2009.
- T. D. LeVan, W.-P. Koh, H.-P. Lee, D. Koh, M. C. Yu, and S. J. London, “Vapor, dust, and smoke exposure in relation to adult-onset asthma and chronic respiratory symptoms: the Singapore Chinese health study,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 163, no. 12, pp. 1118–1128, 2006.
- J. A. Sacre Hazouri, “Allergic rhinitis. Coexistent diseases and complications. A review and analysis,” Revista Alergia México, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 9–29, 2006.
- K. J. Kværner, K. Tambs, J. R. Harris, I. W. S. Mair, and P. Magnus, “Otitis media: relationship to tonsillitis, sinusitis and atopic diseases,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 127–141, 1996.
- B. P. Yawn, J. W. Yunginger, P. C. Wollan, C. E. Reed, M. D. Silverstein, and A. G. Harris, “Allergic rhinitis in Rochester, Minnesota residents with asthma: frequency and impact on health care charges,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 103, no. 1 I, pp. 54–59, 1999.
- D. Price, Q. Zhang, V. S. Kocevar, D. D. Yin, and M. Thomas, “Effect of a concomitant diagnosis of allergic rhinitis on asthma-related health care use by adults,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 282–287, 2005.
- I. M. Cockburn, H. L. Bailit, E. R. Berndt, and S. N. Finkelstein, “Loss of work productivity due to illness and medical treatment,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 948–953, 1999.
- L. P. Hanrahan and L. C. Paramore, “Aeroallergens, allergic rhinitis, and sedating antihistamines: risk factors for traumatic occupational injury and economic impact,” The American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 438–446, 2003.
- G. C. M. Groenewoud, H. de Groot, and R. G. van Wijk, “Impact of occupational and inhalant allergy on rhinitis-specific quality of life in employees of bell pepper greenhouses in the Netherlands,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 92–97, 2006.
- R. G. Slavin, “The allergist and the workplace: occupational asthma and rhinitis,” Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 255–261, 2005.