- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 286902, 10 pages
Digital Microscopy Assessment of Angiogenesis in Different Breast Cancer Compartments
1Emergency Medicine Department, Gr. T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy, 700115 Iasi, Romania
2Emergency Medicine Department, Saint Spiridon Hospital, 700115 Iasi, Romania
3Pathophysiology and Allergy Research Department, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
4TissueGnostics GmbH, 1020 Vienna, Austria
5Pathology Department, County Emergency Hospital, 610136 Piatra Neamt, Romania
6Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Regional Institute of Oncology, 700483 Iasi, Romania
7Department of Anatomy, Gr. T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy, 700115 Iasi, Romania
8Pathology Department, Gr. T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy, 700115 Iasi, Romania
Received 10 April 2013; Accepted 29 July 2013
Academic Editor: Takahiro Hasebe
Copyright © 2013 Anca Haisan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Folkman, “Tumor angiogenesis: therapeutic implications,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 285, no. 21, pp. 1182–1186, 1971.
- J. Folkman and R. Cotran, “Relation of vascular proliferation to tumor growth,” International Review of Experimental Pathology, vol. 16, pp. 207–248, 1976.
- J. Folkman, “Anti-angiogenesis: new concept for therapy of solid tumors,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 409–416, 1972.
- J. Folkman, “Toward an understanding of angiogenesis: search and discovery,” Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 10–36, 1985.
- J. Folkman, “What is the evidence that tumors are angiogenesis dependent?” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 4–6, 1990.
- B. Uzzan, P. Nicolas, M. Cucherat, and G.-Y. Perret, “Microvessel density as a prognostic factor in women with breast cancer: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 2941–2955, 2004.
- N. Weidner, J. P. Semple, W. R. Welch, and J. Folkman, “Tumor angiogenesis and metastasis—correlation in invasive breast carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1991.
- N. Weidner, “Current pathologic methods for measuring intratumoral microvessel density within breast carcinoma and other solid tumors,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 169–180, 1995.
- P. E. Vermeulen, G. Gasparini, S. B. Fox et al., “Quantification of angiogenesis in solid human tumours: an international consensus on the methodology and criteria of evaluation,” European Journal of Cancer Part A, vol. 32, no. 14, pp. 2474–2484, 1996.
- N. Weidner, P. R. Carroll, J. Flax, W. Blumenfeld, and J. Folkman, “Tumor angiogenesis correlates with metastasis in invasive prostate carcinoma,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 401–409, 1993.
- G. Gasparini, “Clinical significance of the determination of angiogenesis in human breast cancer: update of the biological background and overview of the Vicenza studies,” European Journal of Cancer Part A, vol. 32, no. 14, pp. 2485–2493, 1996.
- P. B. Vermeulen, M. Libura, J. Libura et al., “Influence of investigator experience and microscopic field size on microvessel density in node-negative breast carcinoma,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 1997.
- N. Weidner, “Tumoural vascularity as a prognostic factor in cancer patients: the evidence continues to grow,” The Journal of Pathology, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 119–122, 1998.
- S. Hansen, D. A. Grabau, C. Rose, M. Bak, and F. B. Sørensen, “Angiogenesis in breast cancer: a comparative study of the observer variability of methods for determining microvessel density,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1563–1573, 1998.
- A. M. Schor, N. Pendleton, S. Pazouki et al., “Assessment of vascularity in histological sections: effects of methodology and value as an index of angiogenesis in breast tumours,” Histochemical Journal, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 849–856, 1998.
- S. B. Fox and A. L. Harris, “Histological quantitation of tumor angiogenesis,” Acta Pathologica Microbiologica Et Immunologica Scandinavica, vol. 112, pp. 413–430, 2004.
- P. B. Vermeulen, G. Gasparini, S. B. Fox et al., “Second international consensus on the methodology and criteria of evaluation of angiogenesis quantification in solid human tumours,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1564–1579, 2002.
- S. Hansen, D. A. Grabau, F. B. Sørensen, M. Bak, W. Vach, and C. Rose, “The prognostic value of angiogenesis by Chalkley counting in a confirmatory study design on 836 breast cancer patients,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 139–146, 2000.
- A. J. Guidi, D. A. Berry, G. Broadwater et al., “Association of angiogenesis in lymph node metastases with outcome of breast cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 486–492, 2000.
- B. Nico, V. Benagiano, D. Mangieri, N. Maruotti, A. Vacca, and D. Ribatti, “Evaluation of microvascular density in tumors: pro and contra,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 601–607, 2008.
- S. Hansen, F. B. Sørensen, W. Vach, D. A. Grabau, M. Bak, and C. Rose, “Microvessel density compared with the Chalkley count in a prognostic study of angiogenesis in breast cancer patients,” Histopathology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 428–436, 2004.
- H. P. Dhakal, A. Bassarova, B. Naume et al., “Breast carcinoma vascularity: a comparison of manual microvessel count and Chalkley count,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1049–1059, 2009.
- S. B. Fox, R. D. Leek, K. Smith, J. Hollyer, M. Greenall, and A. L. Harris, “Tumor angiogenesis in node-negative breast carcinomas—relationship with epidermal growth factor receptor, estrogen receptor, and survival,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 109–116, 1994.
- S. B. Fox, R. D. Leek, M. P. Weekes, R. M. Whitehouse, K. C. Gatter, and A. L. Harris, “Quantitation and prognostic value of breast cancer angiogenesis: comparison of microvessel density, Chalkley count, and computer image analysis,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 275–283, 1995.
- M. Barbareschi, N. Weidner, G. Gasparini et al., “Microvessel density quantification in breast carcinomas. Assessment by light microscopy vs. a computer-aided image analysis system,” Applied Immunohistochemistry, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 75–84, 1995.
- P. D. Kohlberger, A. Obermair, G. Sliutz et al., “Quantitative immunohistochemistry of factor VIII-related antigen in breast carcinoma: a comparison of computer-assisted image analysis with established counting methods,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 705–710, 1996.
- C. A. W. Sullivan, S. Ghosh, I. T. Ocal, R. L. Camp, D. L. Rimm, and G. G. Chung, “Microvessel area using automated image analysis is reproducible and is associated with prognosis in breast cancer,” Human Pathology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 156–165, 2009.
- S. Olewniczak, M. Chosia, B. Kołodziej, A. Kwas, A. Kram, and W. Domagała, “Angiogenesis as determined by computerised image analysis and the risk of early relapse in women with invasive ductal breast carcinoma,” Polish Journal of Pathology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 2003.
- J. A. Belien, P. J. van Diest, and J. P. Baak, “Relationships between vascularization and proliferation in invasive breast cancer,” The Journal of Pathology, vol. 189, no. 3, pp. 309–318, 1999.
- J. A. M. Beliën, S. Somi, J. S. De Jong, P. J. Van Diest, and J. P. A. Baak, “Fully automated microvessel counting and hot spot selection by image processing of whole tumour sections in invasive breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 184–192, 1999.
- N. T. Kim, N. Elie, B. Plancoulaine, P. Herlin, and M. Coster, “An original approach for quantification of blood vessels on the whole tumour section,” Analytical Cellular Pathology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 63–75, 2003.
- C. F. Chantrain, Y. A. DeClerck, S. Groshen, and G. McNamara, “Computerized quantification of tissue vascularization using high-resolution slide scanning of whole tumor sections,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 151–158, 2003.
- L. T. G. Mikalsen, H. P. Dhakal, Ø. S. Bruland, J. M. Nesland, and D. R. Olsen, “Quantification of angiogenesis in breast cancer by automated vessel identification in CD34 immunohistochemical sections,” Anticancer Research, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 4053–4060, 2011.
- I. Zlobec and A. Lugli, “Invasive front of colorectal cancer: dynamic interface of pro-/anti-tumor factors,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 47, pp. 5898–5906, 2009.
- P. Gong, Y. Wang, G. Liu, J. Zhang, and Z. Wang, “New insight into ki67 expression at the invasive front in breast cancer,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 1, Article ID e54912, 2013.
- J. W. Pollard, “Macrophages define the invasive microenvironment in breast cancer,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 623–630, 2008.
- H. Ueno, A. M. Jones, K. H. Wilkinson, J. R. Jass, and I. C. Talbot, “Histological categorisation of fibrotic cancer stroma in advanced rectal cancer,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 581–586, 2004.
- H. Chauhan, A. Abraham, J. R. A. Phillips, J. H. Pringle, R. A. Walker, and J. L. Jones, “There is more than one kind of myofibroblast: analysis of CD34 expression in benign, in situ, and invasive breast lesions,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 271–276, 2003.
- L. Hlatky, P. Hahnfeldt, and J. Folkman, “Clinical application of antiangiogenic therapy: microvessel density, what it does and doesn't tell us,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 883–893, 2002.
- S. Sharma, M. C. Sharma, and C. Sarkar, “Morphology of angiogenesis in human cancer: a conceptual overview, histoprognostic perspective and significance of neoangiogenesis,” Histopathology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 481–489, 2005.
- P. Fritz, S. Klenk, S. Goletz et al., “Clinical impacts of histological subtyping primary breast cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 5137–5144, 2010.
- J. Oh, R. Takahashi, S. Kondo et al., “The membrane-anchored MMP inhibitor RECK is a key regulator of extracellular matrix integrity and angiogenesis,” Cell, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 789–800, 2001.
- J. F. Simpson, C. Ahn, H. Battifora, and J. M. Esteban, “Endothelial area as a prognostic indicator for invasive breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 2077–2085, 1996.
- W. M. Schoell, D. Pieber, O. Reich et al., “Tumor angiogenesis as a prognostic factor in ovarian carcinoma: quantification of endothelial immunoreactivity by image analysis,” Cancer, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 2257–2262, 1997.
- V. Fridman, C. Humblet, K. Bonjean, and J. Boniver, “Assessment of tumor angiogenesis in invasive breast carcinomas: absence of correlation with prognosis and pathological factors,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 437, no. 6, pp. 611–617, 2000.
- B. Weyn, W. A. A. Tjalma, P. Vermeylen, A. van Daele, E. Van Marck, and W. Jacob, “Determination of tumour prognosis based on angiogenesis-related vascular patterns measured by fractal and syntactic structure analysis,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 307–316, 2004.
- M. D. Safwat, F. Habib, A. Elayat, N. Oweiss, S. Reffat, and S. Algaidi, “Morphometric and immunohistochemical study of angiogenic marker expressions in invasive ductal carcinomas of the human breast,” Folia Morphologica, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 144–155, 2009.
- B. B. Da Silva, P. V. Lopes-Costa, A. R. Dos Santos et al., “Comparison of three vascular endothelial markers in the evaluation of micro vessel density in breast cancer,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 285–288, 2009.
- K.-C. Chou, L.-C. Chang, H.-C. Su et al., “Immunohistochemical study of tumor angiogenesis in mucoepidermoid carcinoma,” Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 285–290, 2005.
- D. Wang, C. R. Stockard, L. Harkins et al., “Immunohistochemistry in the evaluation of neovascularization in tumor xenografts,” Biotechnic and Histochemistry, vol. 83, no. 3-4, pp. 179–189, 2008.
- S. Kumar, A. Ghellal, C. Li et al., “Breast carcinoma: vascular density determined using CD105 antibody correlates with tumor prognosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 856–861, 1999.
- S. E. Duff, C. Li, J. M. Garland, and S. Kumar, “CD105 is important for angiogenesis: evidence and potential applications,” FASEB Journal, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 984–992, 2003.
- J.-P. Dales, S. Garcia, L. Andrac et al., “Prognostic significance of angiogenesis evaluated by CD105 expression compared to CD31 in 905 breast carcinomas: correlation with long-term patient outcome,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1197–1204, 2004.
- F. Nassiri, M. D. Cusimano, B. W. Scheithauer et al., “Endoglin (CD105): a review of its role in angiogenesis and tumor diagnosis, progression and therapy,” Anticancer Research, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 2283–2290, 2011.
- A. Radu, C. Pichon, P. Camparo et al., “Expression of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor in tumor blood vessels,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 17, pp. 1621–1630, 2010.
- R. Cairns, I. Papandreou, and N. Denko, “Overcoming physiologic barriers to cancer treatment by molecularly targeting the tumor microenvironment,” Molecular Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 61–70, 2006.
- A. Eberhard, S. Kahlert, V. Goede, B. Hemmerlein, K. H. Plate, and H. G. Augustin, “Heterogeneity of angiogenesis and blood vessel maturation in human tumors: implications for antiangiogenic tumor therapies,” Cancer Research, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1388–1393, 2000.