- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 289285, 11 pages
Grappling the High Altitude for Safe Edible Bamboo Shoots with Rich Nutritional Attributes and Escaping Cyanogenic Toxicity
1Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development (IBSD), Takyelpat, Imphal, Manipur 795001, India
2Department of Biochemistry, University of Yaoundé I, BP 812, Yaoundé, Cameroon
3Department of Biotechnology, Burdwan University, Golapbag More, West Bengal 713104, India
4AJC Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Botanical Survey of India, Botanic Garden, Howrah 711103, India
Received 18 June 2013; Accepted 3 October 2013
Academic Editor: Kuo-Chen Chou
Copyright © 2013 Sayanika Devi Waikhom et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Nartey, “Toxicological aspects of cyanogen’s is in tropical food stuff,” in Toxicology in the Tropics, R. L. Smith and E. A. Bababumni, Eds., pp. 53–73, Taylor and Francis, London, UK, 1980.
- U. Schwarzmaier, “Cyanogenesis of Dendrocalamus: taxiphyllin,” Phytochemistry, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1599–1600, 1977.
- H. Nzwalo and J. Cliff, “Konzo: from poverty, cassava, and cyanogen intake to toxico-nutritional neurological disease,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 5, no. 6, article e1051, 2011.
- M. D. Thiyam, S. S. Giri, D. Y. Pramoda, and D. G. A. Shantibala, “An investigation into elimination of cyanide from under process soibum,” The Bioscan, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 639–642, 2010.
- S. D. Waikhom, S. Ghosh, N. C. Talukdar, and S. S. Mandi, “Assessment of genetic diversity of landraces of Dendrocalamus hamiltonii using AFLP markers and association with biochemical traits,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 2107–2121, 2012.
- N. Chongtham, M. S. Bisht, and S. Haorongbam, “Nutritional properties of bamboo shoots: potential and prospects for utilization as a health food,” Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 153–168, 2011.
- E. J. Park and D. Y. Jhon, “The antioxidant, angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition activity, and phenolic compounds of bamboo shoot extracts,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 655–659, 2010.
- C. Nirmala, E. David, and M. L. Sharma, “Changes in nutrient components during ageing of emerging juvenile bamboo shoots,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 612–618, 2007.
- M. R. Haque and J. H. Bradbury, “Total cyanide determination of plants and foods using the picrate and acid hydrolysis methods,” Food Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 2002.
- Y. P. Kalra, “Determination of pH soils by different methods: collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 310–321, 1995.
- F. J. Rohlf, NTSYS-pc Numerical Taxonomy and Multivariate Analysis System, Version 2.20e, Exeter Publication, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- P. H. A. Sneath and R. R. Sokal, Numerical Taxonomy: The Principles and Practice of Numerical Classification, W. H. Freeman, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1st edition, 1973.
- R. R. Sokal and C. D. Michener, “A statistical method for evaluating systematic relationships,” University of Kansas Science Bulletin, vol. 28, pp. 1409–1438, 1958.
- S. Aras, A. Duran, and G. Yenilmez, “Isolation of DNA for RAPD analysis from dry leaf material of some Hesperis L. Specimens,” Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 461–462, 2003.
- P. Jaccard, “Nouvelles recherché sur la distribution florale,” Bulletin de la Société Vaudoise de Sciences Naturelles, vol. 44, pp. 223–270, 1908.
- P. Taberlet, L. Gielly, G. Pautou, and J. Bouvet, “Universal primers for amplification of three non-coding regions of chloroplast DNA,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1105–1109, 1991.
- F. Sievers, A. Wilm, D. Dineen et al., “Fast, scalable generation of high-quality protein multiple sequence alignments using Clustal Omega,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 7, article 539, 2011.
- T. A. Hall, “BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT,” Nucleic Acids Symposium Series, vol. 41, pp. 95–98, 1999.
- I. Milne, F. Wright, G. Rowe, D. F. Marshall, D. Husmeier, and G. McGuire, “TOPALi: software for automatic identification of recombinant sequences within DNA multiple alignments,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1806–1807, 2004.
- M. Hasegawa, H. Kishino, and T. Yano, “Dating of the human-ape splitting by a molecular clock of mitochondrial DNA,” Journal of Molecular Evolution, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 160–174, 1985.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- M. J. Bradbury, S. V. Egan, and J. H. Bradbury, “Determination of all forms of cyanogens in cassava roots and cassava products using picrate kits,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 593–601, 1999.
- L. L. Mensor, F. S. Menezes, G. G. Leitão et al., “Screening of Brazilian plant extracts for antioxidant activity by the use of DPPH free radical method,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 127–130, 2001.
- AOAC, Official Method of Analysis, Association of Official Agriculture Chemicals, Washington, DC, USA, 10th edition, 1985.
- R. A. Koenig and C. R. Johnson, “Colorimetric determination of phosphorus in biological materials,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 155–156, 1942.
- D. M. Updegraff, “Semimicro determination of cellulose inbiological materials,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 420–424, 1969.
- F. Tajima and M. Nei, “Estimation of evolutionary distance between nucleotide sequences,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 269–285, 1984.
- S. X. Lin and J. Lapointe, “Theoretical and experimental biology in one,” Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, vol. 6, pp. 435–442, 2013.
- G. P. Zhou and M. H. Deng, “An extension of Chou's graphic rules for deriving enzyme kinetic equations to systems involving parallel reaction pathways,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 222, no. 1, pp. 169–176, 1984.
- K. C. Chou, “Graphic rules in steady and non-steady state enzyme kinetics,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 264, no. 20, pp. 12074–12079, 1989.
- J. Andraos, “Kinetic plasticity and the determination of product ratios for kinetic schemes leading to multiple products without rate laws—New methods based on directed graphs,” Canadian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 342–357, 2008.
- I. W. Althaus, A. J. Gonzales, J. J. Chou et al., “The quinoline U-78036 is a potent inhibitor of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 20, pp. 14875–14880, 1993.
- K. C. Chou, “Graphic rule for drug metabolism systems,” Current Drug Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 369–378, 2010.
- K. C. Chou, W. Z. Lin, and X. Xiao, “Wenxiang: a web-server for drawing wenxiang diagrams,” Natural Science, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 862–865, 2011.
- G. P. Zhou, “The disposition of the LZCC protein residues in wenxiang diagram provides new insights into the protein-protein interaction mechanism,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 284, no. 1, pp. 142–148, 2011.
- G. P. Zhou and R. B. Huang, “The pH-triggered conversion of the PrP(c) to PrP(sc.),” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1152–1163, 2013.
- P. M. Kroonenberg, “Introduction to biplots for G × E tables,” Research Report 51, Department of Mathematics, University of Queensland, 1995.
- W. Yan, M. S. Kang, B. Ma, S. Woods, and P. L. Cornelius, “GGE biplot versus AMMI analysis of genotype-by-environment data,” Crop Science, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 643–655, 2007.
- S. Kumar and S. R. Gadagkar, “Disparity index: a simple statistic to measure and test the homogeneity of substitution patterns between molecular sequences,” Genetics, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 1321–1327, 2001.
- N. Mlingi, N. H. Poulter, and H. Rosling, “An outbreak of acute intoxications from consumption of insufficiently processed cassava in Tanzania,” Nutrition Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 677–687, 1992.
- O. S. A. Oluwole, A. O. Onabolu, I. A. Cotgreave, H. Rosling, A. Persson, and H. Link, “Incidence of endemic ataxic polyneuropathy and its relation to exposure to cyanide in a Nigerian community,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 1417–1422, 2003.
- V. L. Ferreira, K. Yotsuyanagi, and C. R. Carvalho, “Elimination of cyanogenic compounds from bamboo shoots Dendrocalamus giganteus Munro,” Tropical Science, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 342–346, 1995.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM), “US National Academy of Sciences, dietary reference intakes for individuals, food and nutritional board,” 2004.
- M. Zahin, F. Aqil, F. M. Husain, and I. Ahmad, “Antioxidant capacity and antimutagenic potential of Murrayakoengii,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 263509, 10 pages, 2013.