- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 293528, 4 pages
Incidence of Heterotopic Ossification after Surface and Conventional Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Comparative Study Using Anterolateral Approach and Indomethacin Prophylaxis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Integrata, Piazzale A Stefani 1, 37126 Verona, Italy
Received 17 April 2013; Accepted 7 June 2013
Academic Editor: Frankie Leung
Copyright © 2013 Dario Regis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. L. Back, J. D. Smith, R. E. Dalziel, D. A. Young, and A. Shimmin, “Incidence of heterotopic ossification after hip resurfacing,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 642–647, 2007.
- B. Neal, H. Gray, S. MacMahon, and L. Dunn, “Incidence of heterotopic bone formation after major hip surgery,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 808–821, 2002.
- C. Zeckey, F. Hildebrand, M. Frink, and C. Krettek, “Heterotopic ossifications following implant surgery—epidemiology, therapeutical approaches and current concepts,” Seminars in Immunopathology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 273–286, 2011.
- H. C. Amstutz, P. E. Beaulé, F. J. Dorey, M. J. le Duff, P. A. Campbell, and T. A. Gruen, “Metal-on-metal hybrid surface arthroplasty: two to six-year follow-up study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 28–39, 2004.
- R. B. C. Treacy, C. W. McBryde, and P. B. Pynsent, “Birmingham hip resurfacing arthroplasty. A minimum follow-up of five years,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 167–170, 2005.
- K. R. B. S. Rama, P.-A. Vendittoli, M. Ganapathi, R. Borgmann, A. Roy, and M. Lavigne, “Heterotopic ossification after surface replacement arthroplasty and total hip arthroplasty: a randomized study,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 256–262, 2009.
- T. O. Smith, R. Nichols, S. T. Donell, and C. B. Hing, “The clinical and radiological outcomes of hip resurfacing versus total hip arthroplasty: a meta-analysis and systematic review,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 684–695, 2010.
- M. Fransen and B. Neal, “Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for preventing heterotopic bone formation after hip arthroplasty,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD001160, 2004.
- M. A. Ritter and T. J. Gioe, “The effect of indomethacin on para-articular ectopic ossification following total hip arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 167, pp. 113–117, 1982.
- J. S. McMahon, J. P. Waddell, and J. Morton, “Effect of short-course indomethacin on heterotopic bone formation after uncemented total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 259–264, 1991.
- H. C. Amstutz, V. A. Fowble, T. P. Schmalzried, and F. J. Dorey, “Short-course indomethacin prevents heterotopic ossification in a high-risk population following total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 126–132, 1997.
- A. F. Brooker, J. W. Bowerman, R. A. Robinson, and L. H. Riley Jr., “Ectopic ossification following total hip replacement. Incidence and a method of classification,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1629–1632, 1973.
- A. G. della Valle, P. S. Ruzo, V. Pavone, E. Tolo, D. N. Mintz, and E. A. Salvati, “Heterotopic ossification after total hip arthroplasty: a critical analysis of the Brooker classification and proposal of a simplified rating system,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 870–875, 2002.
- B. Neal, “Effects of heterotopic bone formation on outcome after hip arthroplasty,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 422–426, 2003.
- R. Bischoff, J. Dunlap, L. Carpenter, E. DeMouy, and R. Barrack, “Heterotopic ossification following uncemented total hip arthroplasty: effect of the operative approach,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 641–644, 1994.
- S. Eggli and A. Woo, “Risk factors for heterotopic ossification in total hip arthroplasty,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 121, no. 9, pp. 531–535, 2001.
- G. Pavlou, M. Salhab, L. Murugesan, et al., “Risk factors for heterotopic ossification in primary total hip arthroplasty,” Hip International, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2012.
- C. B. Hing, D. L. Back, M. Bailey, D. A. Young, R. E. Dalziel, and A. J. Shimmin, “The results of primary Birmingham hip resurfacings at a mean of five years. An independent prospective review of the first 230 hips,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1431–1438, 2007.
- J. S. Shields, A. Mofidi, W. G. Ward, and R. H. Jinnah, “Does a plastic drape reduce incidence of heterotopic ossification after hip resurfacing?” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 469, no. 6, pp. 1606–1613, 2011.
- H. C. Amstutz, B. J. Thomas, R. Jinnah, W. Kim, T. Grogan, and C. Yale, “Treatment of primary osteoarthritis of the hip. A comparison of total joint and surface replacement arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 228–241, 1984.
- M. A. Ritter and M. Galley, “Heterotopic bone formation following resurfacing total hip arthroplasty,” HSS Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 41–43, 2011.
- R. M. Nunley, J. Zhu, J. C. Clohisy, and R. L. Barrack, “Aspirin decreases heterotopic ossification after hip resurfacing,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 469, no. 6, pp. 1614–1620, 2011.
- B. C. Neal, A. Rodgers, T. Clark et al., “A systematic survey of 13 randomized trials of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for the prevention of heterotopic bone formation after major hip surgery,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 122–128, 2000.
- T. N. Board, A. Karva, R. E. Board, A. K. Gambhir, and M. L. Porter, “The prophylaxis and treatment of heterotopic ossification following lower limb arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 434–440, 2007.
- T. Higo, M. Mawatari, M. Shigematsu, and T. Hotokebuchi, “The incidence of heterotopic ossification after cementless total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 852–856, 2006.