- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 293874, 10 pages
The Synergistic Effects of Low Dose Fluorouracil and TRAIL on TRAIL-Resistant Human Gastric Adenocarcinoma AGS Cells
1Department of Abdominal Cancer, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, China
2Department of Pathophysiology, West China School of Preclinical and Forensic Medicine, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, China
3Department of Nuclear Medicine, Tai’an Central Hospital, Tai’an, Shandong 271000, China
Received 20 May 2013; Accepted 30 September 2013
Academic Editor: Thomas Griffith
Copyright © 2013 Hong Zhu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. T. Hellwig and M. Rehm, “TRAIL signaling and synergy mechanisms used in TRAIL-based combination therapies,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 3–13, 2012.
- Q. Jiang, H. Zhu, B. Liang, Y. Huang, and C. Li, “Apoptosis-inducing effect of the DR5 monoclonal antibody, D-6, alone or in combination with cisplatin, on A2780 ovarian cancer cells,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 316–320, 2012.
- C. Y. Jin, C. Park, S. H. Hong, M. H. Han, J. W. Jeong, H. Xu, et al., “Synergistic induction of TRAIL-mediated apoptosis by anisomycin in human hepatoma cells via the BH3-only protein Bid and c-Jun/AP-1 signaling pathway,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 00116–00113, 2012.
- C. Aydin, A. D. Sanlioglu, A. Bisgin et al., “NF-kappaB targeting by way of IKK inhibition sensitizes lung cancer cells to adenovirus delivery of TRAIL,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, no. 584, 2010.
- H. Zhu, F. Zhao, S. Yu, J. He, L. Deng, C. Yi, et al., “The synergistic effects of low-dose irinotecan and TRAIL on TRAIL-resistant HT-29 colon carcinoma in vitro and in vivo,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1087–1094, 2012.
- F. Ahmed, K. Toume, S. K. Sadhu, T. Ohtsuki, M. A. Arai, and M. Ishibashi, “Constituents of Amoora cucullata with TRAIL resistance-overcoming activity,” Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 16, pp. 3696–3703, 2010.
- D. Maksimovic-Ivanic, S. Stosic-Grujicic, F. Nicoletti, and S. Mijatovic, “Resistance to TRAIL and how to surmount it,” Immunologic Research, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 157–168, 2012.
- A. Morizot, D. Mérino, N. Lalaoui et al., “Chemotherapy overcomes TRAIL-R4-mediated TRAIL resistance at the DISC level,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 700–711, 2011.
- C.-Y. Jin, C. Park, J. Cheong et al., “Genistein sensitizes TRAIL-resistant human gastric adenocarcinoma AGS cells through activation of caspase-3,” Cancer Letters, vol. 257, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2007.
- S. C. Barranco, C. M. Townsend Jr., and C. Casartelli, “Establishment and characterization of an in vitro model system for human adenocarcinoma of the stomach,” Cancer Research, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1703–1709, 1983.
- J.-D. Liu, S.-Y. Lin, Y.-S. Ho et al., “Involvement of c-jun N-terminal kinase activation in 15-deoxy-Δ12,14-prostaglandin J2- and prostaglandin A1-induced apoptosis in AGS gastric epithelial cells,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 16–24, 2003.
- T.-Y. Kim, C.-Y. Jin, G.-Y. Kim et al., “Ethyl alcohol extracts of Hizikia fusiforme sensitize AGS human gastric adenocarcinoma cells to tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-mediated apoptosis,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 782–787, 2009.
- W. Y. Choi, C.-Y. Jin, M. H. Han et al., “Sanguinarine sensitizes human gastric adenocarcinoma AGS cells to TRAIL-mediated apoptosis via down-regulation of AKT and activation of caspase-3,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 4457–4465, 2009.
- M. S. Abdelfattah, K. Toume, and M. Ishibashi, “Yoropyrazone, a new naphthopyridazone alkaloid isolated from Streptomyces sp. IFM, 11307 and evaluation of its TRAIL resistance-overcoming activity,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 245–248, 2012.
- T. Minakawa, K. Toume, F. Ahmed et al., “Constituents of Pongamia pinnata isolated in a screening for activity to overcome tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-resistance,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1549–1551, 2010.
- F. Ahmed, K. Toume, T. Ohtsuki, M. Rahman, S. K. Sadhu, and M. Ishibashi, “Cryptolepine, isolated from Sida acuta, sensitizes human gastric adenocarcinoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 147–150, 2011.
- X. Wang, Y. Wang, M. Qiu et al., “Postoperative chemoradiotherapy in gastric cancer: a phase i study of radiotherapy with dose escalation of oxaliplatin, 5-fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFOX regimen),” Medical Oncology, vol. 28, supplement 1, pp. S274–S279, 2011.
- T. M. Ganten, T. L. Haas, J. Sykora et al., “Enhanced caspase-8 recruitment to and activation at the DISC is critical for sensitisation of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis by chemotherapeutic drugs,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 11, supplement 1, pp. S86–S96, 2004.
- Y. Mizutani, H. Nakanishi, O. Yoshida, M. Fukushima, B. Bonavida, and T. Miki, “Potentiation of the sensitivity of renal cell carcinoma cells to TRAIL-mediated apoptosis by subtoxic concentrations of 5-fluorouracil,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 167–176, 2002.
- D. D. Cui, Y. Huang, S. H. Mao et al., “Synergistic antitumor effect of TRAIL and adriamycin on the human breast cancer cell line MCF-7,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 854–862, 2009.
- Y. Y. Zhou, H. Y. Wang, Z. G. Tang, and D. I. Ma, “Two new formulae for evaluating effectiveness of drug combination and revision of Burgi's and Jin's modified Burgi's formulae,” Zhongguo Yao Li Xue Bao, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 217–221, 1984.
- Z. J. Jin, “Linear transformation of Michaelis-Menten equation by Lineweaver-Burk's method,” Zhongguo Yao Li Xue Bao, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 1980.
- L. Y. Jiang, M. Lian, H. Wang, J. G. Fang, and Q. Wang, “Inhibitory effects of 5-Aza-2′-deoxycytidine and trichostatin A in combination with p53-expressing adenovirus on human laryngocarcinoma cells,” Chinese Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 232–237, 2012.
- H. Zhu, Z. Li, S. Mao et al., “Antitumor effect of sFlt-1 gene therapy system mediated by Bifidobacterium Infantis on Lewis lung cancer in mice,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 884–896, 2011.
- P. A. Holoch and T. S. Griffith, “TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL): a new path to anti-cancer therapies,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 625, no. 1–3, pp. 63–72, 2009.
- F. A. Greco, P. Bonomi, J. Crawford et al., “Phase 2 study of mapatumumab, a fully human agonistic monoclonal antibody which targets and activates the TRAIL receptor-1, in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer,” Lung Cancer, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 82–90, 2008.
- A. Younes, J. M. Vose, A. D. Zelenetz et al., “A Phase 1b/2 trial of mapatumumab in patients with relapsed/refractory non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 1783–1787, 2010.
- M. de Bruyn, Y. Wei, V. R. Wiersma et al., “Cell surface delivery of TRAIL strongly augments the tumoricidal activity of T cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 17, pp. 5626–5637, 2011.
- Y. . Zheng, H. Chen, X. Zeng, Z. Liu, X. Xiao, Y. Zhu, et al., “Surface modification of TPGS-b-(PCL-ran-PGA) nanoparticles with polyethyleneimine as a co-delivery system of TRAIL and endostatin for cervical cancer gene therapy,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 8, no. 1, article 161, 2013.
- U. Testa, “TRAIL/TRAIL-R in hematologic malignancies,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 21–34, 2010.
- T. Trarbach, M. Moehler, V. Heinemann et al., “Phase II trial of mapatumumab, a fully human agonistic monoclonal antibody that targets and activates the tumour necrosis factor apoptosis-inducing ligand receptor-1 (TRAIL-R1), in patients with refractory colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 506–512, 2010.
- S. Shankar, T. R. Singh, X. Chen, H. Thakkar, J. Firnin, and R. K. Srivastava, “The sequential treatment with ionizing radiation followed by TRAIL/Apo-2L reduces tumor growth and induces apoptosis of breast tumor xenografts in nude mice,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1133–1140, 2004.
- S. Shankar and R. K. Srivastava, “Enhancement of therapeutic potential of TRAIL by cancer chemotherapy and irradiation: mechanisms and clinical implications,” Drug Resistance Updates, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 139–156, 2004.
- L. Lim, M. Michael, G. B. Mann, and T. Leong, “Adjuvant therapy in gastric cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 25, pp. 6220–6232, 2005.
- J. S. Macdonald, S. R. Smalley, J. Benedetti et al., “Chemoradiotherapy after surgery compared with surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the stomach or gastroesophageal junction,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 10, pp. 725–730, 2001.
- S. Sakuramoto, M. Sasako, T. Yamaguchi et al., “Adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer with S-1, an oral fluoropyrimidine,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 18, pp. 1810–1820, 2007.
- J. Lee, D. H. Lim, S. Kim et al., “Phase III trial comparing capecitabine plus cisplatin versus capecitabine plus cisplatin with concurrent capecitabine radiotherapy in completely resected gastric cancer with D2 lymph node dissection: the ARTIST trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 268–273, 2012.
- V. R. Yadav, S. Prasad, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Cardamonin sensitizes tumour cells to TRAIL through ROS- and CHOP-mediated up-regulation of death receptors and down-regulation of survival proteins,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 165, no. 3, pp. 741–753, 2012.
- D.-M. Zhu, J. Shi, S. Liu, Y. Liu, and D. Zheng, “HIV infection enhances TRAIL-induced cell death in macrophage by down-regulating decoy receptor expression and generation of reactive oxygen species,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 4, Article ID e18291, 2011.
- S. Prasad, V. R. Yadav, J. Ravindran, and B. B. Aggarwal, “ROS and CHOP are critical for dibenzylideneacetone to sensitize tumor cells to TRAIL through induction of death receptors and downregulation of cell survival proteins,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 538–549, 2011.