- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 294679, 11 pages
Comparative Study of Various Delivery Methods for the Supply of Alpha-Ketoglutarate to the Neural Cells for Tissue Engineering
1Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur 208016, India
2Thematic Unit of Excellence on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur 208016, India
Received 6 April 2013; Accepted 7 June 2013
Academic Editor: Juergen Buenger
Copyright © 2013 Tanushree Vishnoi and Ashok Kumar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. H. Snyder, “Neurotransmitters, receptors, and second messengers galore in 40 years,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 29, no. 41, pp. 12717–12721, 2009.
- R. P. Shank and G. Campbell, “Glutamine and alpha-ketoglutarate uptake and metabolism by nerve terminal enriched material from mouse cerebellum,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 601–616, 1982.
- M. Nedergaard, T. Takano, and A. J. Hansen, “Beyond the role of glutamate as a neurotransmitter,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 748–755, 2002.
- S. D. Varma and K. R. Hegde, “Effect of α-ketoglutarate against selenite cataract formation,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 913–918, 2004.
- E. D. Son, G. H. Choi, H. Kim, B. Lee, I. S. Chang, and J. S. Hwang, “Alpha-ketoglutarate stimulates procollagen production in cultured human dermal fibroblasts, and decreases UVB-induced wrinkle formation following topical application on the dorsal skin of hairless mice,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1395–1399, 2007.
- S. Nilsang, A. Kumar, and S. K. Rakshit, “Effect of α-ketoglutarate on monoclonal antibody production of hybridoma cell lines in serum-free and serum-containing medium,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 151, no. 2-3, pp. 489–501, 2008.
- A. K. A. Silva, C. Richard, M. Bessodes, D. Scherman, and O.-W. Merten, “Growth factor delivery approaches in hydrogels,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2009.
- S. Pavlukhina and S. Sukhishvili, “Polymer assemblies for controlled delivery of bioactive molecules from surfaces,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 822–836, 2011.
- Y. Choi, S. Y. Kim, S. H. Kim, K.-S. Lee, C. Kim, and Y. Byun, “Long-term delivery of all-trans-retinoic acid using biodegradable PLLA/PEG-PLLA blended microspheres,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 215, no. 1-2, pp. 67–81, 2001.
- U. Edlund and A.-C. Albertsson, “Degradable polymer microspheres for controlled drug delivery,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 157, pp. 67–112, 2002.
- J. H. Park, M. Ye, and K. Park, “Biodegradable polymers for microencapsulation of drugs,” Molecules, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 146–161, 2005.
- S. Ketie, H. K. Leo, and L. W. K. Menno, “Polymeric microspheres for medical applications,” Materials, vol. 3, pp. 3537–3564, 2010.
- D. Singh, V. Nayak, and A. Kumar, “Proliferation of myoblast skeletal cells on three-dimensional supermacroporous cryogels,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 371–381, 2010.
- M. P. Fatima, I. Y. Galaev, and B. Mattiason, “Production and properties of cryogels by radical polymerization,” in Macroporous Polymers.: Production Properties and Biotechnological/Biomedical Applications, B. Mattiasson, A. Kumar, and I. Y. Galaev, Eds., pp. 23–47, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2009.
- S. Bhat, A. Tripathi, and A. Kumar, “Supermacroprous chitosan-agarose-gelatin cryogels: In vitro characterization and in vivo assessment for cartilage tissue engineering,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 8, no. 57, pp. 540–554, 2011.
- N. Kathuria, A. Tripathi, K. K. Kar, and A. Kumar, “Synthesis and characterization of elastic and macroporous chitosan-gelatin cryogels for tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 406–418, 2009.
- S. Dhawan, A. K. Singla, and V. R. Sinha, “Evaluation of mucoadhesive properties of chitosan microspheres prepared by different methods,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 5, no. 4, article e67, 2004.
- K. Mladenovskat, E. Janevic, M. G. Dodov, et al., “BSA—loaded gelatin microspheres: comparative studies on biodegradation and drug release in presence of collagenase and trypsin,” Macedonian Pharamaceutical Bulletin, vol. 48, no. 1-2, pp. 9–14, 2002.
- C. Long, “A general method for the estimation of a-keto-acids, and its application to a-keto-acid metabolism in pigeon brain,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 36, pp. 807–810, 1942.
- T. Vishnoi and A. Kumar, “Conducting cryogel scaffold as a potential biomaterial for cell stimulation and proliferation,” Journal of Material Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 447–459, 2013.
- E. Jain, A. A. Karande, and A. Kumar, “Supermacroporous polymer-based cryogel bioreactor for monoclonal antibody production in continuous culture using hybridoma cells,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 170–180, 2011.
- B. A. Donzanti and B. K. Yamamoto, “An improved and rapid HPLC-EC method for the isocratic separation of amino acid neurotransmitters from brain tissue and microdialysis perfusates,” Life Sciences, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 913–922, 1988.
- S. Nilsang, V. Nehru, F. M. Plieva et al., “Three-dimensional culture for monoclonal antibody production by hybridoma cells immobilized in macroporous gel particles,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1122–1131, 2008.
- D. Singh, T. Vishnoi, A. Tripathi, and A. Kumar, “Effect of alpha keto glutarate onn growth and metabolism of cells cultured on three dimensional cryogel matrix,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 521–530, 2013.
- K. Yao, Y. Yin, X. Li et al., “Alpha-ketoglutarate inhibits glutamine degradation and enhances protein synthesis in intestinal porcine epithelial cells,” Amino Acids, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2491–2500, 2011.
- E. Schulze-Lohoff, S. Zanner, A. Ogilvie, and R. B. Sterzel, “Extracellular ATP stimulates proliferation of cultured mesangial cells via P2-purinergic receptors,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 263, no. 3, part 2, pp. F374–F383, 1992.
- E. J. J. van Zoelen, D. R. Twardzik, and M. J. van Oostwaard, “Neuroblastoma cells produce transforming growth factors during exponential growth in a defined hormone-free medium,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 81, no. 13 I, pp. 4085–4089, 1984.
- D. M. Bradham and W. E. Horton Jr., “In vivo cartilage formation from growth factor modulated articular chondrocytes,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 352, pp. 239–249, 1998.
- P. Korinkova and Z. Lodin, “The metabolism of glucose of nerve cells cultivated under different conditions,” Acta Histochemica, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 47–65, 1976.
- R. E. Fox, I. B. Hopkins, E. T. Cabacungan, and J. T. Tildon, “The role of glutamine and other alternate substrates as energy sources in the fetal rat lung type II cell,” Pediatric Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 135–141, 1996.
- S. Picossi, B. R. Belitsky, and A. L. Sonenshein, “Molecular mechanism of the regulation of Bacillus subtilis gltAB expression by GltC,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 365, no. 5, pp. 1298–1313, 2007.
- G. C. Mathews and J. S. Diamond, “Neuronal glutamate uptake contributes to GABA synthesis and inhibitory synaptic strength,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 2040–2048, 2003.
- L. K. Bak, A. Schousboe, and H. S. Waagepetersen, “The glutamate/GABA-glutamine cycle: aspects of transport, neurotransmitter homeostasis and ammonia transfer,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 641–653, 2006.
- J. Coster, R. McCauley, and J. Hall, “Glutamine: metabolism and application in nutrition support,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2004.