- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 297093, 6 pages
Clinical Evaluation of CyberKnife in the Treatment of Vestibular Schwannomas
1Department of Radiation-Oncology, Taipei Medical University Wan-Fang Hospital, Taipei 110, Taiwan
2Department of Radiation-Oncology, Taipei Medical University Shuang-Ho Hospital, New Taipei City 23561, Taiwan
3Department of Neurosurgery, Taipei Medical University Wan-Fang Hospital, Taipei 110, Taiwan
4Department of Neurosurgery, Taipei Medical University Shuang-Ho Hospital, New Taipei City 23561, Taiwan
5Department of Neurological Surgery, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, No. 325, Section 2, Chenggong Road, Neihu District, Taipei 114, Taiwan
6Department of Radiation Oncology, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 114, Taiwan
7Stereotactic Radiosurgery Center, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 114, Taiwan
Received 9 May 2013; Revised 27 September 2013; Accepted 1 October 2013
Academic Editor: Sonshin Takao
Copyright © 2013 Jo-Ting Tsai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Lassaletta and J. Gavilan, “An update on the treatment of vestibular schwannoma,” Acta Otorrinolaringológica Española, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 2009.
- S.-E. Stangerup, M. Tos, J. Thomsen, and P. Caye-Thomasen, “True incidence of vestibular schwannoma?” Neurosurgery, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 1335–1340, 2010.
- J. M. Propp, B. J. McCarthy, F. G. Davis, and S. Preston-Martin, “Descriptive epidemiology of vestibular schwannomas,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2006.
- D. Dutta, S. B. Subramanian, V. Murli, H. Sudahar, P. G. Gopalakrishna Kurup, and M. Potharaju, “Dosimetric comparison of Linac-based (BrainLAB) and robotic radiosurgery (CyberKnife) stereotactic system plans for acoustic schwannoma,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 637–642, 2012.
- A. M. Quesnel and M. J. McKenna, “Current strategies in management of intracanalicular vestibular schwannoma,” Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 335–340, 2011.
- T. Hasegawa, Y. Kida, T. Kato, H. Iizuka, and T. Yamamoto, “Factors associated with hearing preservation after Gamma Knife surgery for vestibular schwannomas in patients who retain serviceable hearing: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 1078–1086, 2011.
- Y. H. Kim, D. G. Kim, J. H. Han, et al., “Hearing outcomes after stereotactic radiosurgery for unilateral intracanalicular vestibular schwannomas: implication of transient volume expansion,” International Journal of Radiation, Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 61–67, 2013.
- M. Brown, M. Ruckenstein, D. Bigelow et al., “Predictors of hearing loss after gamma knife radiosurgery for vestibular schwannomas: age, cochlear dose, and tumor coverage,” Neurosurgery, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 605–613, 2011.
- C. de Paula Vernetta, M. H. Orts Alborch, F. J. García Callejo, J. B. Ramírez Sabio, A. Morant Ventura, and J. Marco Algarra, “Radiosurgery treatment of acoustic neuromas. Our experience,” Acta Otorrinolaringológica Española, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 75–78, 2007.
- C. Collen, B. Ampe, T. Gevaert et al., “Single fraction versus fractionated linac-based stereotactic radiotherapy for vestibular schwannoma: a single-institution experience,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. e503–e509, 2011.
- O. W. M. Meijer, W. P. Vandertop, J. C. Baayen, and B. J. Slotman, “Single-fraction versus fractionated linac-based stereotactic radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma: a single-institution study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1390–1396, 2003.
- D. E. Roos, A. E. Potter, and A. C. Zacest, “Hearing preservation after low dose linac radiosurgery for acoustic neuroma depends on initial hearing and time,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 420–424, 2011.
- B. M. Fong, P. Pezeshkian, D. T. Nagasawa, A. de Salles, Q. Gopen, and I. Yang, “Hearing preservation after LINAC radiosurgery and LINAC radiotherapy for vestibular schwannoma,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1065–1070, 2012.
- F. C. A. Timmer, P. E. J. Hanssens, A. E. P. van Haren et al., “Gamma knife radiosurgery for vestibular schwannomas: results of hearing preservation in relation to the cochlear radiation dose,” Laryngoscope, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1076–1081, 2009.
- M. G. Gephart, A. Hansasuta, R. R. Balise, et al., “Cochlea radiation dose correlates with hearing loss after stereotactic radiosurgery of vestibular schwannoma,” World Neurosurgery, vol. 80, no. 3-4, pp. 359–363, 2012.
- G. T. Sakamoto, N. Blevins, and I. C. Gibbs, “Cyberknife radiotherapy for vestibular schwannoma,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 665–675, 2009.
- S. D. Chang, I. C. Gibbs, G. T. Sakamoto, E. Lee, A. Oyelese, and J. R. Adler Jr., “Staged stereotactic irradiation for acoustic neuroma,” Neurosurgery, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1254–1263, 2005.
- H. Ishihara, K. Saito, T. Nishizaki et al., “CyberKnife radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 290–293, 2004.
- J. N. Wagner, M. Glaser, B. Wowra, et al., “Vestibular function and quality of life in vestibular schwannoma: does size matter?” Frontiers in Neurology, vol. 2, article 55, 2011.
- G. Gardner and J. H. Robertson, “Hearing preservation in unilateral acoustic neuroma surgery,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 1988.
- L. D. Lunsford and M. E. Linskey, “Stereotactic radiosurgery in the treatment of patients with acoustic tumors,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 471–491, 1992.
- C.-H. Kim, K. W. Chung, D.-S. Kong et al., “Prognostic factors of hearing preservation after gamma knife radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 214–218, 2010.
- A. Franzin, G. Spatola, C. Serra et al., “Evaluation of hearing function after gamma knife surgery of vestibular schwannomas,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 27, no. 6, p. E3.8, 2009.
- J. Régis, R. Carron, M. C. Park et al., “Wait-and-see strategy compared with proactive Gamma Knife surgery in patients with intracanalicular vestibular schwannomas,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 113, pp. 105–111, 2010.
- H. Kano, D. Kondziolka, A. Khan, J. C. Flickinger, and L. D. Lunsford, “Predictors of hearing preservation after stereotactic radiosurgery for acoustic neuroma: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 863–873, 2009.
- N. Massager, O. Nissim, C. Delbrouck et al., “Irradiation of cochlear structures during vestibular schwannoma radiosurgery and associated hearing outcome,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 733–739, 2007.
- D. T. Ju, J. W. Lin, M. S. Lin et al., “Hypofractionated CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery for acoustic neuromas with and without association to neurofibromatosis Type 2,” Acta Neurochirurgica, Supplementum, vol. 101, pp. 169–173, 2008.
- I. Yang, D. Aranda, S. J. Han et al., “Hearing preservation after stereotactic radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma: a systematic review,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 742–747, 2009.
- I. Yang, M. E. Sughrue, S. J. Han et al., “A comprehensive analysis of hearing preservation after radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 851–859, 2010.
- S. Yomo, R. Carron, J. M. Thomassin, P. H. Roche, and J. Regis, “Longitudinal analysis of hearing before and after radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 877–885, 2012.
- M. E. Linskey, “Hearing preservation in vestibular schwannoma stereotactic radiosurgery: what really matters?” Journal of neurosurgery, vol. 109, pp. S129–S136, 2008.
- I. Yamakami, Y. Uchino, E. Kobayashi, and A. Yamaura, “Conservative management, gamma-knife radiosurgery, and microsurgery for acoustic neurinomas: a systematic review of outcome and risk of three therapeutic options,” Neurological Research, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 682–690, 2003.
- D. W. Andrews, O. Suarez, H. W. Goldman et al., “Stereotactic radiosurgery and fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for the treatment of acoustic schwannomas: comparative observations of 125 patients treated at one institution,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1265–1278, 2001.