- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 297305, 12 pages
In Vitro Characterization of a Multifunctional Staphylokinase Variant with Reduced Reocclusion, Produced from Salt Inducible E. coli GJ1158
1Centre for Bioseparation Technology, VIT University, Vellore 632014, Tamilnadu, India
2Department of Biotechnology, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Nagarjuna Nagar, Guntur 522510, Andhra Pradesh, India
3Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Human Toxicology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
4Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, College of Public Health, 100 Oakdale Campus No. 121 IREH, Iowa City, IA 52242-5000, USA
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 19 June 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editor: Eileen Hao Yu
Copyright © 2013 K. K. Pulicherla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Nichols, N. Townsend, P. Scarborough, et al., European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics 2012, European Heart Network, European Society of Cardiology, Brussels, Belgium, 2012.
- A. T. Cohen, G. Agnelli, F. A. Anderson et al., “Venous thromboembolism (VTE) in Europe—the number of VTE events and associated morbidity and mortality,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 756–764, 2007.
- H. J. Rapold, “Promotion of thrombin activity by thrombolytic therapy without simultaneous anticoagulation,” The Lancet, vol. 335, no. 8687, pp. 481–482, 1990.
- K. Serizawa, T. Urano, Y. Kozima, Y. Takada, and A. Takada, “The potential role of platelet PAI-1 in t-PA mediated clot lysis of platelet rich plasma,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 289–300, 1993.
- K. Ghandehari, “Barriers of thrombolysis therapy in developing countries,” Stroke Research and Treatment, vol. 2011, Article ID 686797, 4 pages, 2011.
- M. I. Bokarewa, T. Jin, and A. Tarkowski, “Staphylococcus aureus: staphylokinase,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 504–509, 2006.
- S. C. Wu, F. J. Castellino, and S. L. Wong, “A fast-acting, modular-structured staphylokinase fusion with Kringle-1 from human plasminogen as the fibrin-targeting domain offers improved clot lysis efficacy,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 20, pp. 18199–18206, 2003.
- S. J. Szarka, E. G. Sihota, H. R. Habibi, and S. Wong, “Staphylokinase as a plasminogen activator component in recombinant fusion proteins,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 506–513, 1999.
- R. G. Miele, M. Prorok, V. A. Costa, and F. J. Castellino, “Glycosylation of asparagine-28 of recombinant staphylokinase with high-mannose-type oligosaccharides results in a protein with highly attenuated plasminogen activator activity,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 12, pp. 7769–7776, 1999.
- D. V. Sakharov, H. R. Lijnen, and D. C. Rijken, “Interactions between staphylokinase, plasmin(ogen), and fibrin. Staphylokinase discriminates between free plasminogen and plasminogen bound to partially degraded fibrin,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 44, pp. 27912–27918, 1996.
- T. Yamada, Y. Shimada, and M. Kikuchi, “Integrin-specific tissue-type plasminogen activator engineered by introduction of the Arg-Gly-Asp sequence,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 228, no. 2, pp. 306–311, 1996.
- Y. Pal, J. C. Gupta, and K. J. Mukherjee, “Optimizing recombinant protein expression in the T7 system under the control of the proUp promoter,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2001.
- J. Gowrishankar and D. Manna, “How is osmotic regulation of transcription of the Escherichia coli proU operon achieved? A review and a model,” Genetica, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 363–378, 1996.
- B. Choi, P. Bobrowicz, R. C. Davidson et al., “Use of combinatorial genetic libraries to humanize N-linked glycosylation in the yeast Pichia pastoris,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 5022–5027, 2003.
- J. M. Cregg, T. S. Vedvick, and W. C. Raschke, “Recent advances in the expression of foreign genes in Pichia pastoris,” Bio/Technology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 905–910, 1993.
- P. Bhandari and J. Gowrishankar, “An Escherichia coli host strain useful for efficient overproduction of cloned gene products with NaCl as the inducer,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 179, no. 13, pp. 4403–4406, 1997.
- J. Szemraj, B. Walkowiak, I. Kawecka et al., “A new recombinant thrombolytic and antithrombotic agent with higher fibrin affinity—a staphylokinase variant. I. In vitro study,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 2156–2165, 2005.
- M. Kowalski, G. Brown, M. Bieniasz et al., “Cloning and expression of a new recombinant thrombolytic and anthithrombotic agent—a staphylokinase variant,” Acta Biochimica Polonica, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 41–53, 2009.
- M. Wang, Y. Wang, J. Wang et al., “Construction and characterization of a novel staphylokinase variant with thrombin-inhibitory activity,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1923–1927, 2009.
- N. V. Thrombogenics, 2012, http://www.thrombogenics.com/.
- K. K. Pulicherla, G. S. Gadupudi, V. P. B. Rekha, K. Seetharam, A. Kumar, and K. R. S. S. Rao, “Isolation, cloning and expression of mature staphylokinase from lysogenic Staphylococcus aureus collected from a local wound sample in a salt inducible E. coli expression host,” International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, vol. 30, pp. 35–42, 2011.
- J. Sambrook and D. W. Russel, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- L. A. Devriese and A. van de Kerckhove, “A comparison of methods used for testing staphylokinase (fibrinolysin) production in Staphylococcus strains,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 457–465, 1980.
- T. Astrup and I. Stendorff, “A fibrinolytic system in human milk,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 605–608, 1953.
- Q. Bi, X. Cen, Y. Huang, and S. Zhu, “Construction and characterization of trifunctional single-chain urokinase-type plasminogen activators. Trifunctional plasminogen activators,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 269, no. 6, pp. 1708–1713, 2002.
- T. Trieu, D. Behnke, D. Gerlach, and J. Tang, “Activation of human plasminogen by recombinant staphylokinase,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 223, pp. 156–167, 1993.
- K. W. Jackson, N. Esmon, and J. Tang, “Streptokinase and staphylokinase,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 80, pp. 387–394, 1981.
- B. Schlott, K. H. Gührs, M. Hartmann, A. Röcker, and D. Collen, “Staphylokinase requires NH2-terminal proteolysis for plasminogen activation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 9, pp. 6067–6072, 1997.
- D. Collen, B. Schlott, Y. Engelborghs et al., “On the mechanism of the activation of human plasminogen by recombinant staphylokinase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 11, pp. 8284–8289, 1993.
- E. Lacoste, I. Martineau, and G. Gagnon, “Platelet concentrates: effects of calcium and thrombin on endothelial cell proliferation and growth factor release,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 1498–1507, 2003.
- L. Zhang, J. Wang, M. Yu, and B. Ru, “Functional properties of a recombinant chimeric plasminogen activator with platelet-targeted fibrinolytic and anticoagulant potential,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 304–311, 2004.
- A. Challen, W. J. Branch, and J. H. Cummings, “Quantitation of platelet mass during aggregation in the electronic (wellcome) whole blood aggregometer,” Journal of Pharmacological Methods, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 1982.
- J. M. Maraganore and B. A. Adelman, “Hirulog: a direct thrombin inhibitor for management of acute coronary syndromes,” Coronary Artery Disease, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 438–448, 1996.