- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 298401, 6 pages
Leptin Increases Blood Pressure and Markers of Endothelial Activation during Pregnancy in Rats
Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 47100 Sg Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 10 April 2013; Revised 13 August 2013; Accepted 23 August 2013
Academic Editor: Rei Shibata
Copyright © 2013 Hisham Saleh Ibrahim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. J. Scarpace and M. Matheny, “Leptin induction of UCP1 gene expression is dependent on sympathetic innervation,” American Journal of Physiology—Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 275, no. 2, pp. E259–E264, 1998.
- J. E. Schneider, R. M. Blum, and G. N. Wade, “Metabolic control of food intake and estrous cycles in Syrian hamsters. I. Plasma insulin and leptin,” American Journal of Physiology—Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, vol. 278, no. 2, pp. R476–R485, 2000.
- M. Abelenda, A. Ledesma, E. Rial, and M. Puerta, “Leptin administration to cold-acclimated rats reduces both food intake and brown adipose tissue thermogenesis,” Journal of Thermal Biology, vol. 28, no. 6-7, pp. 525–530, 2003.
- M. A. Pelleymounter, M. J. Cullen, M. B. Baker et al., “Effects of the obese gene product on body weight regulation in ob/ob mice,” Science, vol. 269, no. 5223, pp. 540–543, 1995.
- P. J. Scarpace, M. Matheny, B. H. Pollock, and N. Tümer, “Leptin increases uncoupling protein expression and energy expenditure,” American Journal of Physiology—Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 273, no. 1, pp. E226–E230, 1997.
- S. Collins, C. M. Kuhn, A. E. Petro, A. G. Swick, B. A. Chrunyk, and R. S. Surwit, “Role of leptin in fat regulation,” Nature, vol. 380, no. 6576, p. 677, 1996.
- K. Rahmouni and W. G. Haynes, “Leptin and the cardiovascular system,” Recent Progress in Hormone Research, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 225–244, 2004.
- M. P. Nasrallah and F. N. Ziyadeh, “Overview of the physiology and pathophysiology of leptin with special emphasis on its role in the kidney,” in Seminars in Nephrology, Elsevier, 2013.
- F. Schinzari, M. Tesauro, V. Rovella et al., “Leptin stimulates both endothelin-1 and nitric oxide activity in lean subjects but not in patients with obesity-related metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 1235–1241, 2013.
- M. Aizawa-Abe, Y. Ogawa, H. Masuzaki et al., “Pathophysiological role of leptin in obesity-related hypertension,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1243–1252, 2000.
- A. S. Greenberg and M. S. Obin, “Obesity and the role of adipose tissue in inflammation and metabolism,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 461S–465S, 2006.
- S. Mehta and J. A. Farmer, “Obesity and inflammation: a new look at an old problem,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 134–138, 2007.
- M. Wolf, E. Kettyle, L. Sandler, J. L. Ecker, J. Roberts, and R. Thadhani, “Obesity and preeclampsia: the potential role of inflammation,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 757–762, 2001.
- J. C. Madan, J. M. Davis, W. Y. Craig et al., “Maternal obesity and markers of inflammation in pregnancy,” Cytokine, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 61–64, 2009.
- F. M. H. Van Dielen, C. Van't Veer, A. M. Schols, P. B. Soeters, W. A. Buurman, and J. W. M. Greve, “Increased leptin concentrations correlate with increased concentrations of inflammatory markers in morbidly obese individuals,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1759–1766, 2001.
- K. Miehle, H. Stepan, and M. Fasshauer, “Leptin, adiponectin and other adipokines in gestational diabetes mellitus and pre-eclampsia,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2012.
- H. J. Singh, A. A. Bakar, A. C. Romli, and A. Nila, “Raised leptin concentrations in feto-placental tissues from women with preeclampsia,” Hypertension in Pregnancy, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 191–199, 2005.
- J. C. Chambers, L. Fusi, I. S. Malik, D. O. Haskard, M. De Swiet, and J. S. Kooner, “Association of maternal endothelial dysfunction with preeclampsia,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 12, pp. 1607–1612, 2001.
- J. M. Roberts and K. Y. Lain, “Recent insights into the pathogenesis of pre-eclampsia,” Placenta, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 359–372, 2002.
- M. N. Haron, U. J. A. D'Souza, H. Jaafar, R. Zakaria, and H. J. Singh, “Exogenous leptin administration decreases sperm count and increases the fraction of abnormal sperm in adult rats,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 322–324, 2010.
- J. Bella, P. R. Kolatkar, C. W. Marlor, J. M. Greve, and M. G. Rossmann, “The structure of the two amino-terminal domains of human ICAM-1 suggests how it functions as a rhinovirus receptor and as an LFA-1 integrin ligand,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 4140–4145, 1998.
- Z. Vadasz, T. Haj, K. Halasz et al., “Semaphorin 3A is a marker for disease activity and a potential immunoregulator in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 14, no. 3, article R146, 2012.
- A. N. Faria, F. F. Ribeiro Filho, S. R. G. Ferreira, and M. T. Zanella, “Impact of visceral fat on blood pressure and insulin sensitivity in hypertensive obese women,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1203–1206, 2002.
- W. G. Haynes, D. A. Morgan, S. A. Walsh, A. L. Mark, and W. I. Sivitz, “Receptor-mediated regional sympathetic nerve activation by leptin,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 270–278, 1997.
- J. C. Dunbar, Y. Hu, and H. Lu, “Intracerebroventricular leptin increases lumbar and renal sympathetic nerve activity and blood pressure in normal rats,” Diabetes, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 2040–2043, 1997.
- M. L. G. Correia and K. Rahmouni, “Role of leptin in the cardiovascular and endocrine complications of metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 603–610, 2006.
- M. Madajka, M. Korda, J. White, and T. Malinski, “Effect of aspirin on constitutive nitric oxide synthase and the biovailability of NO,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 110, no. 5-6, pp. 317–321, 2003.
- C. A. Ecelbarger, “Proteomics and sodium transport,” Proteomics in Nephrology, vol. 141, pp. 124–141, 2004.
- R. De Caterina, L. Ghiadoni, S. Taddei et al., “Soluble E-selectin in essential hypertension: a correlate of vascular structural changes,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 259–266, 2001.
- J. S. Yudkin, C. D. A. Stehouwer, J. J. Emeis, and S. W. Coppack, “C-reactive protein in healthy subjects: associations with obesity, insulin resistance, and endothelial dysfunction: a potential role for cytokines originating from adipose tissue?” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 972–978, 1999.
- H. O. Steinberg, H. Chaker, R. Leaming, A. Johnson, G. Brechtel, and A. D. Baron, “Obesity/insulin resistance is associated with endothelial dysfunction: implications for the syndrome of insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 2601–2610, 1996.
- M. Hashimoto, M. Akishita, M. Eto et al., “The impairment of flow-mediated vasodilatation in obese men with visceral fat accumulation,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 477–484, 1998.
- J. J. Cha, Y. Y. Hyun, Y. H. Jee et al., “Plasma concentration of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (sICAM-1) is elevated in type 2 diabetic patients, and sICAM-1 synthesis is associated with leptin-induced activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway,” Inflammation, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 878–887, 2013.
- N. Hou and J. D. Luo, “Leptin and cardiovascular diseases,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 905–913, 2011.
- J. Beltowski, “Leptin and atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 189, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 2006.
- M. Y. Wang, Y. T. Zhou, C. B. Newgard, and R. H. Unger, “A novel leptin receptor isoform in rat,” FEBS Letters, vol. 392, no. 2, pp. 87–90, 1996.
- C. Serradeil-Le Gal, D. Raufaste, G. Brossard et al., “Characterization and localization of leptin receptors in the rat kidney,” FEBS Letters, vol. 404, no. 2-3, pp. 185–191, 1997.
- D. C. H. Dong Cheol Han, M. Isono, S. Chen et al., “Leptin stimulates type I collagen production in db/db mesangial cells: glucose uptake and TGF-β type II receptor expression,” Kidney International, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 1315–1323, 2001.
- G. Wolf, A. Hamann, D. C. Han et al., “Leptin stimulates proliferation and TGF-β expression in renal glomerular endothelial cells: potential role in glomerulosclerosis,” Kidney International, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 860–872, 1999.
- B. L. Kasiske and J. T. Crosson, “Renal disease in patients with massive obesity,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 1105–1109, 1986.
- K. Sharma and F. N. Ziyadeh, “The emerging role of transforming growth factor-β in kidney diseases,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Fluid and Electrolyte Physiology, vol. 266, no. 6, pp. F829–F842, 1994.