- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 303162, 12 pages
Acute and Chronic Oral Toxicity of a Partially Purified Plaunotol Extract from Croton stellatopilosus Ohba
1Pharmaceutical Technology (International) Program, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Phayathai Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
2Medical Plant Research Institute, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Tivanond Road, Nonthaburi 11000, Thailand
3Department of Biotech Business, Tipco Biotech Co. Ltd., Phetkasem Road, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77000, Thailand
4Department of Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Botany, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Phayathai Road, Bangkok 10300, Thailand
Received 6 August 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: Lillian Barros
Copyright © 2013 Chatchai Chaotham et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Salatino, M. L. F. Salatino, and G. Negri, “Traditional uses, chemistry and pharmacology of Croton species (Euphorbiaceae),” Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 11–33, 2007.
- W. Sitthlthawom, B. Potduang, and W. De-Eknamkul, “Localization of plaunotol in the leaf of Croton stellatopilosus Ohba,” ScienceAsia, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 17–20, 2006.
- K. Shiratori, S. Watanabe, T. Takeuchi, J. Chang, and Y. Moriyoshi, “Effect of plaunotol on release of plasma secretin and pancreatic exocrine secretion in humans,” Pancreas, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 323–328, 1989.
- K. Shiratori, S. Watanabe, T. Takeuchi, and K. Shimizu, “Plaunotol inhibits postprandial gastrin release by its unique secretin-releasing action in humans,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1140–1145, 1990.
- T. Koga, H. Inoue, C. Ishii, Y. Okazaki, H. Domon, and Y. Utsui, “Effect of plaunotol in combination with clarithromycin or amoxicillin on Helicobacter pylori in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 133–136, 2002.
- H. Y. Fu, Y. Yabe, K. Asahi et al., “(2E,6Z,10E)-7-hydroxymethyl-3,11,15-trimethyl-2,6,10,14-hexadecatetraen-1-ol (plaunotol) increases cyclooxygenase-2 expression via nuclear factor κB and cyclic AMP response element in rat gastric epithelial cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 524, no. 1–3, pp. 38–43, 2005.
- N. Nilubol, “Process for extraction and purification of plaunotol,” patent no. 5264638, 1993, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5264638.html.
- P. O. Rinthong, S. Zhu, K. Komatsu, S. Chanama, and W. De-Eknamkul, “Genetic variation of Croton stellatopilosus Ohba based on non-coding DNA sequences of ITS,trnK and trnL-F regions,” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 65, no. 3-4, pp. 641–645, 2011.
- K. Higuchi, T. Watanabe, T. Tanigawa et al., “Are gastroprotective drugs useful for gastric ulcer healing: re-evaluation using current ICH E9 guidelines,” Inflammopharmacology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 18–21, 2007.
- R. Paduch, M. Kandefer-Szerszeń, M. Trytek, and J. Fiedurek, “Terpenes: substances useful in human healthcare,” Archivum Immunologiae et Therapiae Experimentalis, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 315–327, 2007.
- N. Sunthornsaj, L. W. Fun, L. F. Evangelista et al., “Kelnac,” in MIMS Annual Thailand, pp. 427–428, MediMedia, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004.
- A. Vongchareonsathit and W. De-Eknamkul, “Rapid TLC-densitometric analysis of plaunotol from Croton sublyratus leaves,” Planta Medica, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 279–280, 1998.
- P. O. Rinthong, A. Jindaprasert, and W. De-Eknamkul, “Simple densitometric TLC analysis of plaunotol for screening of high-plaunotol-containing plants of Croton stellatopilosus Ohba,” Journal of Planar Chromatography, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 2009.
- G. L. Humanson, “Part I. Basic procedure,” in Animal Tissue Technique, pp. 1–129, Freeman WH and Company, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1979.
- E. Kitazawa, M. Kurabayashi, S. Kasuga, O. Oda, and A. Ogiso, “New ester of diterpene alcohol from Croton sublyratus,” Annual Report of Sankyo Research Laboratories, vol. 34, pp. 39–41, 1982.
- S. Kobayashi, C. Ishibashi, A. Morita, H. Masuda, and A. Ogiso, “Anti-ulcer activities of (E, Z, E)-7-hydroxymethyl-3,11, 15-trimethyl-2, 6, 10, 14-hexadecatetraen-1-ol (CS-684), a new acycic diterpene alcohol from a Thai medicinal plant, on experimental acute gastric and duodenal ulcers,” Pharmacometrics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 599–607, 1982.
- J. Yamada, K. Kawai, N. H. Tsuno et al., “Plaunotol induces apoptosis of gastric cancer cells,” Planta Medica, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 1068–1073, 2007.
- N. Yoshikawa, J. Yamada, N. H. Tsuno et al., “Plaunotol and geranylgeraniol induce caspase-mediated apoptosis in colon cancer,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 246–253, 2009.
- A. Loomis and W. A. Hayes, “Numbers in toxicity,” in Loomis's Essentials of Toxicology, pp. 17–32, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1996.
- R. M. P. Gutierrez, E. G. Baez, M. S. L. Cortez, and S. A. Cárdenas, “Extracts of bixa inhibit glycation and AGEs formation in vitro,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 942–948, 2011.
- S. C. Gad, “The rat: pathology,” in Animal Models in Toxicology, S. C. Gad and C. P. Chengellis, Eds., pp. 78–81, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- Y. Pimainog, A. Yothinarak, and P. Jornrakate, “Reference ranges for hematological and clinical chemistry values in Wistar rats,” Bulletin of the Department of Medical Sciences, vol. 45, pp. 27–36, 2003.
- S. B. Rosalki, A. Y. Foo, A. Burlina et al., “Multicenter evaluation of Iso-ALP test kit for measurement of bone alkaline phosphatase activity in serum and plasma,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 648–652, 1993.
- T. Ziebart, F. Koch, M. O. Klein et al., “Geranylgeraniol—a new potential therapeutic approach to bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis of the jaw,” Oral Oncology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 195–201, 2011.
- S. L. Stockham and M. A. Scott, Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, Iowa State Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 2002.
- H. Kaneko, T. Mitsuma, H. Nagai et al., “Effect of plaunotol on hypergastrinemia induced by long-term omeprazole administration in humans,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 160–165, 1995.
- D. C. Crick, D. A. Andres, and C. J. Waechter, “Farnesol is utilized for protein isoprenylation and the biosynthesis of cholesterol in mammalian cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 590–599, 1995.
- T. Kotti, D. D. Head, C. E. McKenna, and D. W. Russell, “Biphasic requirement for geranylgeraniol in hippocampal long-term potentiation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 32, pp. 11394–11399, 2008.