- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 304320, 10 pages
Role of Stenting for Intracranial Atherosclerosis in the Post-SAMMPRIS Era
1Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
2Neurological Surgery and Radiology, Division of Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Surgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia Health System, P.O. Box 800212, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Received 3 October 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Steven J. Monteith
Copyright © 2013 Dale Ding et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. K. S. Wong, “Global burden of intracranial atherosclerosis,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 158–159, 2006.
- R. L. Sacco, D. E. Kargman, Q. Gu, and M. C. Zamanillo, “Race-ethnicity and determinants of intracranial atherosclerotic cerebral infarction: the Northern Manhattan stroke study,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 14–20, 1995.
- F. Rincon, R. L. Sacco, G. Kranwinkel et al., “Incidence and risk factors of intracranial atherosclerotic stroke: the northern manhattan stroke study,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2009.
- M. I. Chimowitz, M. J. Lynn, H. Howlett-Smith et al., “Comparison of warfarin and aspirin for symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 13, pp. 1305–1316, 2005.
- F. Nahab, G. Cotsonis, M. Lynn et al., “Prevalence and prognosis of coexistent asymptomatic intracranial stenosis,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 1039–1041, 2008.
- T. Mori, K. Kazita, K. Chokyu, T. Mima, and K. Mori, “Short-term arteriographic and clinical outcome after cerebral angioplasty and stenting for intracranial vertebrobasilar and carotid atherosclerotic occlusive disease,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 249–254, 2000.
- A. Bose, M. Hartmann, H. Henkes et al., “A novel, self-expanding, nitinol stent in medically refractory intracranial atherosclerotic stenoses: the Wingspan study,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1531–1537, 2007.
- D. Fiorella, E. I. Levy, A. S. Turk et al., “US multicenter experience with the Wingspan stent system for the treatment of intracranial atheromatous disease: periprocedural results,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 881–887, 2007.
- O. O. Zaidat, R. Klucznik, M. J. Alexander et al., “The NIH registry on use of the Wingspan stent for symptomatic 70–99% intracranial arterial stenosis,” Neurology, vol. 70, no. 17, pp. 1518–1524, 2008.
- M. I. Chimowitz, M. J. Lynn, C. P. Derdeyn et al., “Stenting versus aggressive medical therapy for intracranial arterial stenosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 11, pp. 993–1003, 2011.
- A. I. Qureshi, F. M. Al-Senani, S. Husain et al., “Intracranial angioplasty and stent placement after stenting and aggressive medical management for preventing recurrent stroke in intracranial stenosis (SAMMPRIS) trial: present state and future considerations,” Journal of Neuroimaging, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2012.
- M. P. Marks, “Is there a future for endovascular treatment of intracranial atherosclerotic disease after Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for Preventing Recurrent Stroke and Intracranial Stenosis (SAMMPRIS)?” Stroke, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 580–584, 2012.
- D. Ding and K. C. Liu, “Applications of stenting for intracranial atherosclerosis,” Neurosurgical focus, vol. 30, no. 6, 15 pages, 2011.
- K. A. Blackham, P. M. Meyers, T. A. Abruzzo et al., “Standard of practice: endovascular treatment of intracranial atherosclerosis,” Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 397–406, 2012.
- K. Gröschel, S. Schnaudigel, S. M. Pilgram, K. Wasser, and A. Kastrup, “A systematic review on outcome after stenting for intracranial atherosclerosis,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. e340–e347, 2009.
- P.-H. Lü, J. W. Park, S. Park et al., “Intracranial stenting of subacute symptomatic atherosclerotic occlusion versus stenosis,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 3470–3476, 2011.
- S. C. Yu, T. W. Leung, K. T. Lee, and L. K. Wong, “Learning curve of Wingspan stenting for intracranial atherosclerosis: single-center experience of 95 consecutive patients,” The Journal of the NeuroInterventional Surgery, 2013.
- S. Park, D. G. Lee, W. J. Chung, D. H. Lee, and D. C. Suh, “Long-term outcomes of drug-eluting stents in symptomatic intracranial stenosis,” Neurointervention, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2013.
- L. Zhang, Q. Huang, Y. Zhang et al., “A single-center study of Wingspan stents for symptomatic atherosclerotic stenosis of the middle cerebral artery,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 362–366, 2013.
- R. Gandini, A. Chiaravalloti, E. Pampana et al., “Intracranial atheromatous disease treatment with the Wingspan stent system: evaluation of clinical, procedural outcome and restenosis rate in a single-center series of 21 consecutive patients with acute and mid-term results,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 741–747, 2013.
- S. Rohde, J. Seckinger, S. Hahnel, P. A. Ringleb, M. Bendszus, and M. Hartmann, “Stent design lowers angiographic but not clinical adverse events in stenting of symptomatic intracranial stenosis—results of a single center study with 100 consecutive patients,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 87–94, 2013.
- K. S. Kim, D. H. Hwang, Y. H. Ko et al., “Usefulness of stent implantation for treatment of intracranial atherosclerotic stenoses,” Neurointervention, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2012.
- Z. Vajda, M. Aguilar, T. Göhringer, D. Horváth-Rizea, H. Bäzner, and H. Henkes, “Treatment of intracranial atherosclerotic disease with a balloon-expandable paclitaxel eluting stent : procedural safety, efficacy and mid-term patency,” Clinical Neuroradiology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 227–233, 2011.
- R. Mohammadian, A. Pashapour, E. Sharifipour et al., “A comparison of stent implant versus medical treatment for severe symptomatic intracranial stenosis: a controlled clinical trial,” Cerebrovascular Diseases Extra, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 108–120, 2012.
- L. Zhang, Q. Huang, Y. Zhang et al., “Wingspan stents for the treatment of symptomatic atherosclerotic stenosis in small intracranial vessels: safety and efficacy evaluation,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 343–347, 2012.
- N. Tarlov, R. Jahan, J. L. Saver et al., “Treatment of high risk symptomatic intracranial atherosclerosis with balloon mounted coronary stents and Wingspan stents: single center experience over a 10 year period,” Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 2012.
- S. C. Yu, T. Leung, E. Hung, K. T. Lee, and L. K. S. Wong, “Angioplasty and stenting for intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis with nitinol stent: factors affecting technical success and patient safety,” Neurosurgery, vol. 70, no. 1, supplement, pp. 104–113, 2012.
- W.-J. Jiang, E. Cheng-Ching, A. Abou-Chebl et al., “Multicenter analysis of stenting in symptomatic intracranial atherosclerosis,” Neurosurgery, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2012.
- Z. Vajda, E. Schmid, T. Güthe et al., “The modified bose method for the endovascular treatment of intracranial atherosclerotic arterial stenoses using the enterprise stent,” Neurosurgery, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 91–101, 2012.
- J. Li, Z. W. Zhao, G. D. Gao et al., “Wingspan stent for high-grade symptomatic vertebrobasilar artery atherosclerotic stenosis,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 268–278, 2012.
- W. Kurre, F. Brassel, R. Brüning et al., “Complication rates using balloon-expandable and self-expanding stents for the treatment of intracranial atherosclerotic stenoses : analysis of the INTRASTENT multicentric registry,” Neuroradiology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2012.
- V. Costalat, I. L. Maldonado, J.-F. Vendrell et al., “Endovascular treatment of symptomatic intracranial stenosis with the Wingspan stent system and Gateway PTA balloon: a multicenter series of 60 patients with acute and midterm results. Clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 686–693, 2011.
- M. Jin, X. Fu, Y. Wei, B. Du, X. T. Xu, and W. J. Jiang, “Higher risk of recurrent ischemic events in patients with intracranial in-stent restenosis,” Stroke, vol. 44, pp. 2990–2994, 2013.
- T. S. Park, B. J. Choi, T. H. Lee, J. S. Song, D. Y. Lee, and S. M. Sung, “Urgent recanalization with stenting for severe intracranial atherosclerosis after transient ischemic attack or minor stroke,” Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 322–326, 2011.
- A. Abou-Chebl, Q. Bashir, and J. S. Yadav, “Drug-eluting stents for the treatment of intracranial atherosclerosis: initial experience and midterm angiographic follow-up,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. e165–e168, 2005.
- R. Gupta, F. Al-Ali, A. J. Thomas et al., “Safety, feasibility, and short-term follow-up of drug-eluting stent placement in the intracranial and extracranial circulation,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2562–2566, 2006.
- A. I. Qureshi, J. F. Kirmani, H. M. Hussein et al., “Early and intermediate-term outcomes with drug-eluting stents in high-risk patientswith symptomatic intracranial stenosis,” Neurosurgery, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1044–1051, 2006.
- M. J. Alexander, “Intracranial stenting for intracranial atherosclerotic disease: still much to learn,” The Journal of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 85–86, 2012.
- C. P. Derdeyn, D. Fiorella, M. J. Lynn et al., “Impact of operator and site experience on outcomes after angioplasty and stenting in the SAMMPRIS trial,” The Journal of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 528–533, 2012.
- Y. Wang, X. Zhao, L. Liu et al., “Clopidogrel with aspirin in acute minor stroke or transient ischemic attack,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 369, no. 1, pp. 11–19, 2013.
- O. O. Zaidat, A. C. Castonguay, T. N. Nguyen et al., “Impact of SAMMPRIS on the future of intracranial atherosclerotic disease management: polling results from the ICAD symposium at the International Stroke Conference,” The Journal of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, 2013.
- M. P. Marks, J. C. Wojak, F. Al-Ali et al., “Angioplasty for symptomatic intracranial stenosis: Clinical outcome,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1016–1020, 2006.
- T. M. Dumont, P. Kan, K. V. Snyder, L. N. Hopkins, A. H. Siddiqui, and E. I. Levy, “Revisiting angioplasty without stenting for symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis after the stenting and aggressive medical management for preventing recurrent stroke in intracranial stenosis (SAMMPRIS) study,” Neurosurgery, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1103–1110, 2012.
- T. Mori, M. Fukuoka, K. Kazita, and K. Mori, “Follow-up study after intracranial percutaneous transluminal cerebral balloon angioplasty,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1525–1533, 1998.
- T. Mori, K. Mori, M. Fukuoka, M. Arisawa, and S. Honda, “Percutaneous transluminal cerebral angioplasty: serial angiographic follow-up after successful dilatation,” Neuroradiology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 1997.
- P. Kan, M. Mokin, A. A. Abla et al., “Utility of intravascular ultrasound in intracranial and extracranial neurointerventions: experience at University at Buffalo Neurosurgery-Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 32, no. 1, p. E6, 2012.
- H. Zacharatos, A. E. Hassan, and A. I. Qureshi, “Intravascular ultrasound: principles and cerebrovascular applications,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 586–597, 2010.
- M. R. Alexander, M. Murgai, C. W. Moehle, and G. K. Owens, “Interleukin-1β modulates smooth muscle cell phenotype to a distinct inflammatory state relative to PDGF-DD via NF-κB-dependent mechanisms,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 417–429, 2012.