- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 306081, 15 pages
Pharmacophore Modeling and Docking Studies on Some Nonpeptide-Based Caspase-3 Inhibitors
1Pharmaceutical Chemistry Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr. Harisingh Gour University, Sagar, Madhya Pradesh 470003, India
2Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand 835 215, India
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 23 July 2013; Accepted 23 July 2013
Academic Editor: Gjumrakch Aliev
Copyright © 2013 Simant Sharma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Wellington and M. R. Hayden, “Caspases and neurodegeneration: on the cutting edge of new therapeutic approaches,” Clinical Genetics, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2000.
- A. Haunstetter and S. Izumo, “Apoptosis: basic mechanisms and implications for cardiovascular disease,” Circulation Research, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 1111–1129, 1998.
- N. C. Hoglen, L. Chen, C. D. Fisher, B. P. Hirakawa, T. Groessl, and P. C. Contreras, “Characterization of IDN-6556 (3-[2-(2-tert-butyl-phenylaminooxalyl)-amino]-propionylamino]-4-oxo-5-(2,3,5, 6-tetrafluoro-phenoxy)-pentanoic acid): a liver-targeted caspase inhibitor,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 309, no. 2, pp. 634–640, 2004.
- M. D. Jacobson, “Anti-apoptosis therapy: a way of treating neural degeneration?” Current Biology, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. R418–R421, 1998.
- A. Mohr and R. M. Zwacka, “In situ trapping of initiator caspases reveals intermediate surprises,” Cell Biology International, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 526–530, 2007.
- C. A. Marques, U. Keil, A. Bonert et al., “Neurotoxic mechanisms caused by the alzheimer's disease-linked Swedish amyloid precursor protein. Mutation oxidative stress, caspases, and the JNK pathway,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 30, pp. 28294–28302, 2003.
- J. G. Chapman, W. P. Magee, H. A. Stukenbrok, G. E. Beckius, A. J. Milici, and W. R. Tracey, “A Novel nonpeptidic caspase-3/7 inhibitor, (S)-(+)-5-[1-(2-methoxymethylpyrrolidinyl)sulfonyl]isatin reduces myocardial ischemic injury,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 456, no. 1–3, pp. 59–68, 2002.
- C. W. Scott, C. Sobotka-briner, D. E. Wilkins et al., “Novel small molecule inhibitors of caspase-3 block cellular and biochemical features of apoptosis,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 304, no. 1, pp. 433–440, 2003.
- D. M. Anselmo, F. F. Amersi, X. Shen et al., “FTY720 pretreatment reduces warm hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury through inhibition of T-lymphocyte infiltration,” The American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 843–849, 2002.
- S. E. Webber, J. Tikhe, S. T. Worland et al., “Design, synthesis, and evaluation of nonpeptidic inhibitors of human rhinovirus 3C protease,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 26, pp. 5072–5082, 1996.
- S. E. Webber, K. Okano, T. L. Little et al., “Tripeptide aldehyde inhibitors of human rhinovirus 3C protease: design, synthesis, biological evaluation, and cocrystal structure solution of P1 glutamine isosteric replacements,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 15, pp. 2786–2805, 1998.
- Q. M. Wang, R. B. Johnson, L. N. Jungheim, J. D. Cohen, and E. C. Villarreal, “Dual inhibition of human rhinovirus 2A and 3C proteases by homophthalimides,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 916–920, 1998.
- P. J. Lakshmi, B. V. S. S. Kumar, R. S. Nayana et al., “Design, synthesis, and discovery of novel non-peptide inhibitor of caspase-3 using ligand based and structure based virtual screening approach,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 6040–6047, 2009.
- M. Garcia-Calvo, E. P. Peterson, B. Leiting, R. Ruel, D. W. Nicholson, and N. A. Thornberry, “Inhibition of human caspases by peptide-based and macromolecular inhibitors,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 49, pp. 32608–32613, 1998.
- D. S. Karanewsky, X. Bai, S. D. Linton et al., “Conformationally constrained inhibitors of caspase-1 (interleukin-1β converting enzyme) and of the human CED-3 homologue caspase-3 (CPP32, APOPAIN),” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 8, no. 19, pp. 2757–2762, 1998.
- E. L. Grimm, B. Roy, R. Aspiotis et al., “Solid phase synthesis of selective caspase-3 peptide inhibitors,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 845–851, 2004.
- I. C. Choong, W. Lew, D. Lee et al., “Identification of potent and selective small-molecule inhibitors of caspase-3 through the use of extended tethering and structure-based drug design,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 23, pp. 5005–5022, 2002.
- J. W. Becker, J. Rotonda, S. M. Soisson et al., “Reducing the peptidyl features of caspase-3 inhibitors: a structural analysis,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 2466–2474, 2004.
- R. G. Karki and V. M. Kulkarni, “A feature based pharmacophore for Candida albicans MyristoylCoA: protein N-myristoyltransferase inhibitors,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 147–163, 2001.
- N. Singh, T. L. Nolan, and C. R. McCurdy, “Chemical function-based pharmacophore development for novel, selective kappa opioid receptor agonists,” Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 131–139, 2008.
- J. C. Burnett, C. Wang, J. E. Nuss et al., “Pharmacophore-guided lead optimization: the rational design of a non-zinc coordinating, sub-micromolar inhibitor of the botulinum neurotoxin serotype a metalloprotease,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 19, no. 19, pp. 5811–5813, 2009.
- U. A. Shah, H. S. Deokar, S. S. Kadam, and V. M. Kulkarni, “Pharmacophore generation and atom-based 3D-QSAR of novel 2-(4-methylsulfonylphenyl)pyrimidines as COX-2 inhibitors,” Molecular Diversity, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 559–568, 2010.
- J. H. van Drie, “Strategies for the determination of pharmacophoric 3D database queries,” Journal of Computer-Aided Molecular Design, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 39–52, 1997.
- O. A. Clement and A. T. Mehl, “HipHop: pharmacophores based on multiple common-feature alignments,” in Pharmacophore Perception, Development and Use in Drug Design, O. F. Guner, Ed., pp. 69–84, International University Line, La Jolla, Calif, USA, 2000.
- Maestro, “Maestro, version 8.5,” Schrödinger, LLC, New York, NY, USA.
- “Phase, version 3.0,” Schrödinger, LLC, New York, NY, USA.
- D. V. Kravchenko, V. V. Kysil, A. P. Ilyn et al., “1,3-dioxo-4-methyl-2,3-dihydro-1H-pyrrolo[3,4-c]quinolines as potent caspase-3 inhibitors,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1841–1845, 2005.
- D. V. Kravchenko, V. M. Kysil, S. E. Tkachenko, S. Maliarchouk, I. M. Okun, and A. V. Ivachtchenko, “Pyrrolo[3,4-c]quinoline-1,3-diones as potent caspase-3 inhibitors. Synthesis and SAR of 2-substituted 4-methyl-8-(morpholine-4-sulfonyl)-pyrrolo[3,4-c]quinoline-1,3-diones,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1377–1383, 2005.
- A. Golbraikh, M. Shen, Z. Xiao, Y. Xiao, K. H. Lee, and A. Tropsha, “Rational selection of training and test sets for the development of validated QSAR models,” Journal of Computer-Aided Molecular Design, vol. 17, no. 2–4, pp. 241–253, 2003.
- S. Ajmani and S. A. Kulkarni, “A dual-response partial least squares regression QSAR model and its application in design of dual activators of PPARα and PPARγ,” QSAR and Combinatorial Science, vol. 27, no. 11-12, pp. 1291–1304, 2008.
- “Glide, version 5.0,” Schrödinger, LLC, New York, USA.
- S. Sharma, V. Ravichandran, P. K. Jain, V. K. Mourya, and R. K. Agrawal, “Prediction of caspase-3 inhibitory activity of 1,3-dioxo-4-methyl-2,3-dihydro-1h-pyrrolo[3,4-c] quinolines: QSAR study,” Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 424–431, 2008.
- C. Bissantz, B. Kuhn, and M. Stahl, “A medicinal chemist's guide to molecular interactions,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 14, pp. 5061–5084, 2010.