- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 306418, 10 pages
In Vitro and In Vivo Investigation of the Potential of Amorphous Microporous Silica as a Protein Delivery Vehicle
1Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, BIOMAT Research Group, KU Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 7, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
2Laboratory of Bacteriology, Rega Institute, KU Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
3Laboratory of Radiopharmacy, KU Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
4Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, KU Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
5Centre for Surface Chemistry and Catalysis, KU Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 23, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 28 June 2013; Accepted 9 July 2013
Academic Editor: Weibo Cai
Copyright © 2013 Amol Chaudhari et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Hinderliter and S. May, “Cooperative adsorption of proteins onto lipid membranes,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 18, no. 28, article S09, pp. S1257–S1270, 2006.
- V. Vogel and G. Baneyx, “The tissue engineering puzzle: a molecular perspective,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 5, pp. 441–463, 2003.
- M. Malmsten, D. Muller, and B. Lassen, “Sequential adsorption of human serum albumin (HSA), immunoglobulin G (IgG), and fibrinogen (Fgn) at HMDSO plasma polymer surfaces,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 1997.
- T. Albrektsson and C. Johansson, “Osteoinduction, osteoconduction and osseointegration,” European Spine Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, supplement 2, pp. S96–S101, 2001.
- A. Palmquist, O. M. Omar, M. Esposito, J. Lausmaa, and P. Thomsen, “Titanium oral implants: surface characteristics, interface biology and clinical outcome,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 7, supplement 5, pp. S515–S527, 2010.
- X. E. Dereka, C. E. Markopoulou, and I. A. Vrotsos, “Role of growth factors on periodontal repair,” Growth Factors, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 260–267, 2006.
- P. V. Hauschka, A. E. Mavrakos, and M. D. Iafrati, “Growth factors in bone matrix. Isolation of multiple types by affinity chromatography on heparin-Sepharose,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 261, no. 27, pp. 12665–12674, 1986.
- A. H. Reddi, “Bone morphogenetic proteins: from basic science to clinical applications,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. S1–6, 2001.
- H. Cheng, W. Jiang, F. M. Phillips et al., “Osteogenic activity of the fourteen types of human bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs),” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 1544–1552, 2003.
- E. Canalis, T. McCarthy, and M. Centrella, “Growth factors and the regulation of bone remodeling,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 277–281, 1988.
- M. P. Lutolf, F. E. Weber, H. G. Schmoekel et al., “Repair of bone defects using synthetic mimetics of collagenous extracellular matrices,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 513–518, 2003.
- R. H. Li and J. M. Wozney, “Delivering on the promise of bone morphogenetic proteins,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 255–265, 2001.
- J. H. Brekke and J. M. Toth, “Principles of tissue engineering applied to programmable osteogenesis,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 380–398, 1998.
- T. Boontheekul and D. J. Mooney, “Protein-based signaling systems in tissue engineering,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 559–565, 2003.
- Y. Liu, J. P. Li, E. B. Hunziker, and K. De Groot, “Incorporation of growth factors into medical devices via biomimetic coatings,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 364, no. 1838, pp. 233–248, 2006.
- M. Isobe, Y. Yamazaki, M. Mori, K. Ishihara, N. Nakabayashi, and T. Amagasa, “The role of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in PLGA capsules at an extraskeletal site of the rat,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 1999.
- T. Akamaru, D. Suh, S. D. Boden, H.-S. Kim, A. Minamide, and J. Louis-Ugbo, “Simple carrier matrix modifications can enhance delivery of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 for posterolateral spine fusion,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 429–434, 2003.
- S. Kokubo, M. Mochizuki, S. Fukushima et al., “Long-term stability of bone tissues induced by an osteoinductive biomaterial, recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 and a biodegradable carrier,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1795–1803, 2004.
- D. M. Cullinane, S. A. Lietman, N. Inoue, L. W. Deitz, and E. Y. S. Chao, “The effect of recombinant human osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) impregnation on allografts in a canine intercalary bone defect,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1240–1245, 2002.
- J. M. Lane, A. W. Yasko, E. Tomin et al., “Bone marrow and recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in osseous repair,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 361, pp. 216–227, 1999.
- V. Karageorgiou and D. Kaplan, “Porosity of 3D biomaterial scaffolds and osteogenesis,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 5474–5491, 2005.
- S.-H. Lee and H. Shin, “Matrices and scaffolds for delivery of bioactive molecules in bone and cartilage tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, no. 4-5, pp. 339–359, 2007.
- P. C. Bessa, M. Casal, and R. L. Reis, “Bone morphogenetic proteins in tissue engineering: the road from laboratory to clinic, part II (BMP delivery),” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 2-3, pp. 81–96, 2008.
- G. N. King, N. King, and F. J. Hughes, “Effect of two delivery systems for recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 on periodontal regeneration in vivo,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 226–236, 1998.
- J. Rouquerol, D. Avnir, D. H. Everett et al., “Guidelines for the characterization of porous solids,” Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, vol. 87, no. C, pp. 1–9, 1994.
- C. A. Aerts, E. Verraedt, R. Mellaerts et al., “Tunability of pore diameter and particle size of amorphous microporous silica for diffusive controlled release of drug compounds,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 36, pp. 13404–13409, 2007.
- E. Verraedt, M. Pendela, E. Adams, J. Hoogmartens, and J. A. Martens, “Controlled release of chlorhexidine from amorphous microporous silica,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2010.
- Q. Tang, Y. Xu, D. Wu et al., “Studies on a new carrier of trimethylsilyl-modified mesoporous material for controlled drug delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2006.
- E. Verraedt, A. Braem, A. Chaudhari et al., “Controlled release of chlorhexidine antiseptic from microporous amorphous silica applied in open porosity of an implant surface,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 419, no. 1-2, pp. 28–32, 2011.
- A. Chaudhari, A. Braem, J. Vleugels et al., “Bone tissue response to porous and functionalized titanium and silica based coatings,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e24186, 2011.
- D. H. R. Kempen, L. Lu, T. E. Hefferan et al., “Retention of in vitro and in vivo BMP-2 bioactivities in sustained delivery vehicles for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 22, pp. 3245–3252, 2008.
- P. Q. Ruhé, O. C. Boerman, F. G. M. Russel, P. H. M. Spauwen, A. G. Mikos, and J. A. Jansen, “Controlled release of rhBMP-2 loaded poly(dl-lactic-co-glycolic acid)/calcium phosphate cement composites in vivo,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 106, no. 1-2, pp. 162–171, 2005.
- H. R. Herschman, “Micro-PET imaging and small animal models of disease,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 378–384, 2003.
- M. E. Phelps, “Positron emission tomography provides molecular imaging of biological processes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 16, pp. 9226–9233, 2000.
- S. S. Gambhir, “Molecular imaging of cancer with positron emission tomography,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 683–693, 2002.
- W. F. Maier, I.-C. Tilgner, M. Wiedorn, and H.-C. Ko, “Preparation and characterization of microporous metal oxides,” Advanced Materials, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 726–730, 1993.
- C. A. Aerts, E. Verraedt, A. Depla et al., “Potential of amorphous microporous silica for ibuprofen controlled release,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 397, no. 1-2, pp. 84–91, 2010.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- S. Brunauer, P. H. Emmett, and E. Teller, “Adsorption of gases in multimolecular layers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 309–319, 1938.
- B. C. Lippens and J. H. de Boer, “Studies on pore systems in catalysts. V. The t method,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 319–323, 1965.
- D. Shcharbin, E. Pedziwiatr, and M. Bryszewska, “How to study dendriplexes I: characterization,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 186–197, 2009.
- A. K. Wright and M. R. Thompson, “Hydrodynamic structure of bovine serum albumin determined by transient electric birefringence,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 15, no. 2, part 1, pp. 137–141, 1975.
- J. M. Peula-Garcia, R. Hidaldo-Alvarez, and F. J. De las Nieves, “Protein co-adsorption on different polystyrene latexes: electrokinetic characterization and colloidal stability,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 275, no. 2, pp. 198–202, 1997.
- J. Ho, M. K. Danquah, H. Wang, and G. M. Forde, “Protein loaded mesoporous silica spheres as a controlled delivery platform,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 351–358, 2008.
- A. Kondo and K. Higashitani, “Adsorption of model proteins with wide variation in molecular properties on colloidal particles,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 344–351, 1992.
- C. E. Giacomelli and W. Norde, “The adsorption-desorption cycle. Reversibility of the BSA-silica system,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 233, no. 2, pp. 234–240, 2001.
- H. Stutz, “Protein attachment onto silica surfaces—a survey of molecular fundamentals, resulting effects and novel preventive strategies in CE,” Electrophoresis, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2032–2061, 2009.
- P. M. Claesson, E. Blomberg, J. C. Fröberg, T. Nylander, and T. Arnebrant, “Protein interactions at solid surfaces,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 57, no. C, pp. 161–227, 1995.
- S. Fukuzaki, H. Urano, and K. Nagata, “Adsorption of bovine serum albumin onto metal oxide surfaces,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 163–167, 1996.
- C. C. Perry and T. Keeling-Tucker, “Biosilicification: the role of the organic matrix in structure control,” Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 537–550, 2000.
- Z. S. Haidar, R. C. Hamdy, and M. Tabrizian, “Delivery of recombinant bone morphogenetic proteins for bone regeneration and repair. Part A: current challenges in BMP delivery,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1817–1824, 2009.
- G. N. King and D. L. Cochran, “Factors that modulate the effets of bone morphogenetic protein-induced periodontal regeneration: a critical review,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 925–936, 2002.