- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 307602, 6 pages
Preparation, Modification, and Characterization of Alginate Hydrogel with Nano-/Microfibers: A New Perspective for Tissue Engineering
1Nucleus of Cellular and Tecidual Biology (NCTBio), Post-Graduate Program in Dentistry, Federal University of Pelotas, Rua Gonçalves Chaves 457, Centro, 96015-560 Pelotas, RS, Brazil
2Department of Operative Dentistry School of Dentistry, Federal University of Pelotas, Rua Gonçalves Chaves 457, Centro, 96015-560 Pelotas, RS, Brazil
3Department of Operative Dentistry School of Dentistry, University North of Paraná (UNOPAR), Rua Marselha, Jardim Piza, 86041-140 Londrina, PR, Brazil
4Technology Development Center, Federal University of Pelotas, Rua Felix da Cunha 809, Centro, 96010-00 Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Received 16 March 2013; Accepted 10 May 2013
Academic Editor: Kacey Gribbin Marra
Copyright © 2013 Bianca Palma Santana et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Nedel, D. D. A. André, I. O. de Oliveira et al., “Stem cells: therapeutic potential in dentistry,” The journal of contemporary dental practice, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 90–96, 2009.
- F. Nedel, F. N. Soki, M. C. M. Conde et al., “Comparative analysis of two colorimetric assays in dental pulp cell density,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2011.
- B. P. Santana, G. F. D. R. Paganotto, F. Nedel, et al., “Nano-/microfiber scaffold for tissue engineering: physical and biological properties,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 100, no. 11, pp. 3051–3058, 2012.
- R. Langer and J. P. Vacanti, “Tissue engineering,” Science, vol. 260, no. 5110, pp. 920–926, 1993.
- F. F. Demarco, M. C. M. Conde, B. N. Cavalcanti, L. Casagrande, V. T. Sakai, and J. E. Nör, “Dental pulp tissue engineering,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2011.
- F. P. Hartwig, F. Nedel, T. V. Collares, S. B. Tarquinio, J. E. Nör, and F. F. Demarco, “Telomeres and tissue engineering: the potential roles of TERT in VEGF-mediated angiogenesis,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1275–1281, 2012.
- J. Zhu, “Bioactive modification of poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogels for tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 17, pp. 4639–4656, 2010.
- F. F. Demarco, L. Casagrande, Z. Zhang et al., “Effects of morphogen and scaffold porogen on the differentiation of dental pulp stem cells,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1805–1811, 2010.
- K. M. Woo, V. J. Chen, and P. X. Ma, “Nano-fibrous scaffolding architecture selectively enhances protein adsorption contributing to cell attachment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 531–537, 2003.
- K. M. Woo, J. Jun, V. J. Chen et al., “Nano-fibrous scaffolding promotes osteoblast differentiation and biomineralization,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 335–343, 2007.
- B.-H. Choi, Y. S. Choi, D. G. Kang, B. J. Kim, Y. H. Song, and H. J. Cha, “Cell behavior on extracellular matrix mimic materials based on mussel adhesive protein fused with functional peptides,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 34, pp. 8980–8988, 2010.
- L. A. Smith and P. X. Ma, “Nano-fibrous scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 125–131, 2004.
- K. Tuzlakoglu, N. Bolgen, A. J. Salgado, M. E. Gomes, E. Piskin, and R. L. Reis, “Nano- and micro-fiber combined scaffolds: a new architecture for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1099–1104, 2005.
- C.-Y. Yu, X.-C. Zhang, F.-Z. Zhou, X.-Z. Zhang, S.-X. Cheng, and R.-X. Zhuo, “Sustained release of antineoplastic drugs from chitosan-reinforced alginate microparticle drug delivery systems,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 357, no. 1-2, pp. 15–21, 2008.
- H. H. Tønnesen and J. Karlsen, “Alginate in drug delivery systems,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 621–630, 2002.
- C. Juliano, M. Cossu, P. Pigozzi, G. Rassu, and P. Giunchedi, “Preparation, in vitro characterization and preliminary in vivo evaluation of buccal polymeric films containing chlorhexidine,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1153–1158, 2008.
- G. D. Nicodemus and S. J. Bryant, “Cell encapsulation in biodegradable hydrogels for tissue engineering applications,” Tissue Engineering B, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 149–165, 2008.
- L. N. Novikova, A. Mosahebi, M. Wiberg, G. Terenghi, J. O. Kellerth, and L. N. Novikov, “Alginate hydrogel and matrigel as potential cell carriers for neurotransplantation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 242–252, 2006.
- J. P. Frampton, M. R. Hynd, M. L. Shuler, and W. Shain, “Fabrication and optimization of alginate hydrogel constructs for use in 3D neural cell culture,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID 015002, 2011.
- W. R. Gombotz and S. F. Wee, “Protein release from alginate matrices,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 267–285, 1998.
- H. Park, S. W. Kang, B. Kim, D. J. Mooney, and K. Y. Lee, “Shear-reversibly crosslinked alginate hydrogels for tissue engineering,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 895–901, 2009.
- A. C. Jen, M. C. Wake, and A. G. Mikos, “Review: hydrogels for cell immobilization,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 357–364, 1996.
- T. Sone, E. Nagamori, T. Ikeuchi et al., “A novel gene delivery system in plants with calcium alginate micro-beads,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 87–91, 2002.
- K. Dobie, G. Smith, A. J. Sloan, and A. J. Smith, “Effects of alginate hydrogels and TGF-β1 on human dental pulp repair in vitro,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 43, no. 2-3, pp. 387–390, 2002.
- J. W. Lee, Y. J. Park, S. J. Lee, S. K. Lee, and K. Y. Lee, “The effect of spacer arm length of an adhesion ligand coupled to an alginate gel on the control of fibroblast phenotype,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 21, pp. 5545–5551, 2010.
- S. Henn, F. Nedel, R. V. de Carvalho et al., “Characterization of an antimicrobial dental resin adhesive containing zinc methacrylate,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1797–1802, 2011.
- F. Nedel, K. Begnini, P. H. Carvalho, R. G. Lund, F. T. Beira, and F. A. del Pino, “Antiproliferative activity of flower hexane extract obtained from mentha spicata associated with mentha rotundifolia against the MCF7, KB, and NIH/3T3 Cell Lines,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 955–958, 2012.
- S. I. Jeong, M. D. Krebs, C. A. Bonino, S. A. Khan, and E. Alsberg, “Electrospun alginate nanofibers with controlled cell adhesion for tissue engineering,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 934–943, 2010.
- J. L. Drury and D. J. Mooney, “Hydrogels for tissue engineering: scaffold design variables and applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 24, pp. 4337–4351, 2003.
- K. Cai, A. Rechtenbach, J. Hao, J. Bossert, and K. D. Jandt, “Polysaccharide-protein surface modification of titanium via a layer-by-layer technique: characterization and cell behaviour aspects,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 30, pp. 5960–5971, 2005.
- J. Choi, T. Konno, R. Matsuno, M. Takai, and K. Ishihara, “Surface immobilization of biocompatible phospholipid polymer multilayered hydrogel on titanium alloy,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 216–223, 2008.
- S. Oh, K. S. Brammer, Y. S. J. Li et al., “Stem cell fate dictated solely by altered nanotube dimension,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 2130–2135, 2009.
- B. E. Rapuano, J. J. E. Lee, and D. E. Macdonald, “Titanium alloy surface oxide modulates the conformation of adsorbed fibronectin to enhance its binding to α5β1 integrins in osteoblasts,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 185–194, 2012.
- J. F. Blanco, F. M. Sánchez-Guijo, S. Carrancio, S. Muntion, J. García-Briñon, and M. del Cañizo, “Titanium and tantalum as mesenchymal stem cell scaffolds for spinal fusion: an in vitro comparative study,” European Spine Journal, vol. 20, no. 3, Supplemnt, pp. 353–360, 2011.
- M. Gómez-Florit, M. Rubert, J. M. Ramis, et al., “TiO2 Scaffolds Sustain Differentiation of MC3T3-E1 Cells,” Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 336–344, 2012.
- M. Schindler, I. Ahmed, J. Kamal et al., “A synthetic nanofibrillar matrix promotes in vivo-like organization and morphogenesis for cells in culture,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 28, pp. 5624–5631, 2005.
- K. Park, Y. M. Ju, J. S. Son, K. Ahn, and D. K. Han, “Surface modification of biodegradable electrospun nanofiber scaffolds and their interaction with fibroblasts,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 369–382, 2007.
- C. Y. Xu, R. Inai, M. Kotaki, and S. Ramakrishna, “Aligned biodegradable nanofibrous structure: a potential scaffold for blood vessel engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 877–886, 2004.
- F. Yang, R. Murugan, S. Wang, and S. Ramakrishna, “Electrospinning of nano/micro scale poly(l-lactic acid) aligned fibers and their potential in neural tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 2603–2610, 2005.