- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 308515, 11 pages
Anticestodal Activity of Endophytic Pestalotiopsis sp. on Protoscoleces of Hydatid Cyst Echinococcus granulosus
1Laboratory of Gastrointestinal Infections and Molecular Diagnosis, Department of Microbiology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221 005, India
2Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221005, India
3Electron Microscope Facility, Department of Anatomy, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221005, India
Received 15 April 2013; Accepted 16 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jozef Anné
Copyright © 2013 Vijay C. Verma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Porras-Alfaro and P. Bayman, “Hidden fungi, emergent properties: endophytes and microbiomes,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 49, pp. 291–315, 2011.
- A. H. Aly, A. Debbab, and P. Proksch, “Fungal endophytes: unique plant inhabitants with great promises,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1829–1845, 2011.
- V. C. Verma, R. N. Kharwar, and G. A. Strobel, “Chemical and functional diversity of natural products from plant associated endophytes,” Natural Product Communications, vol. 4, pp. 1511–1532, 2009.
- S. Chandra, “Endophytic fungi: novel sources of anticancer lead molecules,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2012.
- L. W. Wang, Y. L. Zhang, F. C. Lin, Y. Z. Hu, and C. L. Zhang, “Natural products with antitumor activity from endophytic fungi,” Mini Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, pp. 1056–1074, 2011.
- S. K. Deshmukh and S. A. Verekar, “Fungal endophytes: a potential source of antifungal compounds,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 4, pp. 2045–2070, 2012.
- V. C. Verma, E. Lobkovsky, A. C. Gange, S. K. Singh, and S. Prakash, “Piperine production by endophytic fungus Periconia sp. isolated from Piper longum L,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 427–431, 2011.
- J. Zhao, T. Shan, Y. Mou, and L. Zhou, “Plant-derived bioactive compounds produced by endophytic fungi,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 159–168, 2011.
- A. Stierle, G. Strobel, and D. Stierle, “Taxol and taxane production by Taxomyces andreanae, an endophytic fungus of Pacific yew,” Science, vol. 260, no. 5105, pp. 214–216, 1993.
- P. K. Murthy, S. K. Joseph, and P. S. R. Murthy, “Plants products in the treatment and control of filariasis and other helminth infections and assay system for anti-filarial/anti-helnitic activity,” Planta Medica, vol. 77, pp. 647–661, 2011.
- N. Boonman, S. Wiyakrutta, N. Sriubolmas, and A. Dharmkrong-At Chusattayanond, “Acanthamoebicidal activity of Fusarium sp. Tlau3, an endophytic fungus from Thunbergia laurifolia Lindl,” Parasitology Research, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1083–1090, 2008.
- S. Mandal and M. Deb Mandal, “Human cystic echinococcosis: epidemiologic, zoonotic, clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic aspects,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 253–260, 2012.
- D. P. McManus, W. Zhang, J. Li, and P. B. Bartley, “Echinococcosis,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9392, pp. 1295–1304, 2003.
- J. Eckert and P. Deplazes, “Biological, epidemiological, and clinical aspects of echinococcosis, a zoonosis of increasing concern,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 107–135, 2004.
- M. Lyagoubi, S. Mouline, A. El Mesnaoui, A. El-Aziz, and M. C. Soussi, “Surgical procedures used in Morocco for removal of hydatid cysts,” in Compendium on Cystic Echinococcosis in Africa and in Middle Eastern Countries With Special Reference To Morocco, F. L. Andersen, H. Ouhelli, and M. Kachani, Eds., pp. 186–193, Brigham Young University Print Services, Provo, Utah, 1997.
- M. K. A. Shambesh, “Human cystic echinococcosis in North Africa (Excluding Morocco),” in Compendium on Cystic Echinococcosis in Africa and in Middle Eastern Countries With Special Reference To Morocco, F. L. Andersen, H. Ouhelli, and M. Kachani, Eds., pp. 223–244, Brigham Young University Print Services, Provo, Utah, 1997.
- T. S. Barnes, P. Deplazes, B. Gottstein et al., “Challenges for diagnosis and control of cystic hydatid disease,” Acta Tropica, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- M. Moazeni and A. Roozitalab, “High scolicidal effect of Zataria multiflora on protoccoleces of hydatid cyst: an in vitro study,” Comparative Clinical Pathology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 99–104, 2012.
- M. Moazeni, M. J. Saharkhiz, A. A. Hoseini, and A. M. Alavi, “In vitro scolicidal effect of Satureja khuzistanica (Jamzad) essential oil,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 616–620, 2012.
- D. A. Yones, G. A. Taher, and Z. Z. Ibraheim, “In vitro effects of some herbs used in Egyptian traditional medicine on viability of protoscolices of hydatid cysts,” Korean Journal of Parasitology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 255–263, 2011.
- M. A. Maggiore, A. A. Albanese, L. B. Gende, M. J. Eguaras, G. M. Denegri, and M. C. Elissondo, “Anthelmintic effect of Mentha spp. essential oils on Echinococcus granulosus protoscoleces and metacestodes,” Parasitology Research, vol. 110, pp. 1103–1112, 2011.
- M. Moazeni, M. J. Saharkhiz, and A. A. Hosseini, “In vitro lethal effect of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi L.) essential oil on hydatid cyst protoscoleces,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 187, pp. 203–208, 2012.
- V. C. Verma, S. K. Gond, A. Kumar, R. N. Kharwar, and G. Strobel, “The endophytic mycoflora of bark, leaf, and stem tissues of Azadirachta indica A. Juss (Neem) from Varanasi (India),” Microbial Ecology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 119–125, 2007.
- V. C. Verma, S. K. Gond, A. Kumar, A. Mishra, R. N. Kharwar, and A. C. Gange, “Endophytic actinomycetes from Azadirachta indica A. Juss.: isolation, diversity, and anti-microbial activity,” Microbial Ecology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 749–756, 2009.
- H. L. Barnett and B. B. Hunter, Illustrated Genera of Imperfect Fungi, Macmillan, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 1998.
- M. B. Ellis, More Dematiaceous Hyphomycetes, Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew, UK, 1976.
- J. A. Von Arx, The Genera of Fungi Sporulating in Pure Culture, J. Cramer in der A.R.Gantner-Verlag-Kommanditgesellschaft, Vaduz, Liechtenstein, 1978.
- G. C. Ainsworth, F. K. Sparrow, and A. S. Sussman, The Fungi: An advanced Treatise, vol. 4, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1973.
- J. D. Smyth and N. J. Barrett, “Procedures for testing the viability of human hydatid cysts following surgical removal especially after chemotherapy,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 74, pp. 849–852, 1980.
- R. C. A. Thompson, “Biology and Systematic of Echinococcus,” in Echinococcus and Hydatid Diseases, R. C. A. Thompson and A. J. Lymbery, Eds., pp. 1–50, C.A.B. International, Wallingford, UK, 1995.
- F. Rodríguez-Caabeiro, N. Casado, and E. Juárez-Peláez, “Efecto in vitro de praziquantel, mebendazole y oxfendazole sobre protoescَlex de Echinococcus granulosus,” Review Iber Parasitology, vol. 49, pp. 77–83, 1989.
- M. A. Urrea-París, M. J. Moreno, N. Casado, and F. Rodriguez-Caabeiro, “In vitro effect of praziquantel and albendazole combination therapy on the larval stage of Echinococcus granulosus,” Parasitology Research, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 957–964, 2000.
- J. Pérez-Serrano, J. Martínez, G. Denegri, N. Casado, G. Bodega, and F. Rodríguez-Caabeiro, “In vitro effect of albendazole and albendazole sulphoxide on 70 and 60 kDa heat shock proteins in Echinococcus granulosus protoscoleces,” Research and Reviews in Parasitology, vol. 61, pp. 67–71, 2001.
- N. Casado, J. Pérez-Serrano, G. Denegri, and F. Rodríguez-Caabeiro, “Development of a chemotherapeutic model for the in vitro screening of drugs against Echinococcus granulosus cysts: the effects of an albendazole-albendazole sulphoxide combination,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 1996.
- F. Cobo, C. Yarnoz, B. Sesma et al., “Albendazole plus praziquantel versus albendazole alone as a pre- operative treatment in intra-abdominal hydatidosis caused by Echinococcus granulosus,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 462–466, 1998.
- K. S. Richards, D. L. Morris, D. Daniels, and E. M. Riley, “Echinococcus granulosus: the effects of praziquantel, in vivo and in vitro, on the ultrastructure of equine strain murine cysts,” Parasitology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 323–336, 1988.
- A. Verheyen, “Echinococcus granulosus: the influence of mebendazole therapy on the ultrastructural morphology of the germinal layer of hydatid cysts in humans and mice,” Zeitschrift fur Parasitenkunde, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 1982.
- J. Pérez-Serrano, G. Denegri, N. Casado, and F. Rodríguez-Caabeiro, “In vivo effect of oral albendazole and albendazole sulphoxide on development of secondary echinococcosis in mice,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1341–1345, 1997.
- J. L. Garcia-Llamazares, G. Merino-Pelaez, J. G. Prietio-Fernande, and A. I. Alvarez de Felipe, “Effects of netobimin treatmnet on the glucose and glycogen contents of Echinococcus granulosus cysts from gerbils,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2002.
- M. E. Sarciron, S. Walbaum, C. Arsac, G. Raynaud, and A. F. Petavy, “Echinococcus granulosus: isoprinosine treatment of the metacestode stage,” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 658–665, 1993.