- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 309723, 6 pages
Diagnostic Procedures and Management of Dry Eye
1Department of Ophthalmology, Clinical Hospital Dubrava, Avenija Gojka Šuška 6, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
2Department of Ophthalmology, University Clinic Vuk Vrhovac, Clinical Hospital Merkur, Zajčeva ulica 19, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 19 July 2013
Academic Editor: Fernando M. Penha
Copyright © 2013 Snježana Kaštelan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Behrens, J. J. Doyle, L. Stern et al., “Dysfunctional tear syndrome: a Delphi approach to treatment recommendations,” Cornea, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 900–907, 2006.
- P. D. O'Brien and L. M. T. Collum, “Dry eye: diagnosis and current treatment strategies,” Current Allergy and Asthma Reports, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 314–319, 2004.
- H. Nakamura, A. Kawakami, and K. Eguchi, “Mechanisms of autoantibody production and the relationship between autoantibodies and the clinical manifestations in Sjögren's syndrome,” Translational Research, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 281–288, 2006.
- C. Vitali, S. Bombardieri, R. Jonsson et al., “Classification criteria for Sjögren's syndrome: a revised version of the European criteria proposed by the American-European Consensus Group,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 554–558, 2002.
- J. A. Smith, J. Albenz, C. Begley et al., “The epidemiology of dry eye disease: report of the epidemiology subcommittee of the international Dry Eye WorkShop (2007),” Ocular Surface, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 93–107, 2007.
- B. Miljanović, R. Dana, D. A. Sullivan, and D. A. Schaumberg, “Impact of dry eye syndrome on vision-related quality of life,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 409–e2, 2007.
- D. A. Schaumberg, D. A. Sullivan, J. E. Buring, and M. R. Dana, “Prevalence of dry eye syndrome among US women,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 318–326, 2003.
- D. A. Schaumberg, D. A. Sullivan, and M. R. Dana, “Epidemiology of dry eye syndrome,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 506, pp. 989–998, 2002.
- S. E. Moss, R. Klein, and B. E. K. Klein, “Prevalance of and risk factors for dry eye syndrome,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 1264–1268, 2000.
- J. L. Gayton, “Etiology, prevalence, and treatment of dry eye disease,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 405–412, 2009.
- J. Clegg, J. Guest, A. Lehman, and A. Smith, “The annual cost of dry eye syndrome in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom among patients managed by ophthalmologists,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 263–274, 2006.
- S. Shimmura, J. Shimazaki, and K. Tsubota, “Results of a population-based questionnaire on the symptoms and lifestyles associated with dry eye,” Cornea, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 408–411, 1999.
- C. Yazdani, T. McLaughlin, J. E. Smeeding, and J. Walt, “Prevalence of treated dry eye disease in a managed care population,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1672–1682, 2001.
- W. B. Jackson, “Management of dysfunctional tear syndrome: a Canadian consensus,” Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 385–394, 2009.
- S. C. Pflugfelder, “Anti-inflammatory therapy of dry eye,” Ocular Surface, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2003.
- R. Latkany, “Dry eyes: etiology and management,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 287–291, 2008.
- S. Kastelan, A. Lukenda, J. Salopek-Rabatic, J. Pavan, and M. Gotovac, “Dry eye symptoma and signs in long-term contact lens wearers,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 199–203, 2013.
- J. Salopek-Rabatic, J. Pavan, S. Kastelan, and L. Rabatic, “Glaucoma patients and contact lenses—how to fit—how to treat,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 195–199, 2013.
- E. Goto, Y. Yagi, Y. Matsumoto, and K. Tsubota, “Impaired functional visual acuity of dry eye patients,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 2002.
- R. M. Schiffman, M. D. Christianson, G. Jacobsen, J. D. Hirsch, and B. L. Reis, “Reliability and validity of the ocular surface disease index,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 615–621, 2000.
- F. D. Pinho Tavares, R. S. Fernandes, T. F. Bernardes, A. A. Bonfioli, and E. J. Carneiro Soares, “Dry eye disease,” Seminars in Ophthalmology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 84–93, 2010.
- P. Buchholz, C. S. Steeds, L. S. Stern et al., “Utility assessment to measure the impact of dry eye disease,” Ocular Surface, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 155–161, 2006.
- F. Eperjesi, M. Aujla, and H. Bartlett, “Reproducibility and repeatability of the OcuSense TearLab osmometer,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 250, no. 8, pp. 1201–1205, 2012.
- V. Karampatakis, A. Karamitsos, A. Skriapa, and G. Pastiadis, “Comparison between normal values of 2- and 5-minute schirmer test without anesthesia,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 497–501, 2010.
- N. Yokoi, A. J. Bron, J. M. Tiffany, K. Maruyama, A. Komuro, and S. Kinoshita, “Relationship between tear volume and tear meniscus curvature,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 122, no. 9, pp. 1265–1269, 2004.
- A. J. Bron, V. E. Evans, and J. A. Smith, “Grading of corneal and conjunctival staining in the context of other dry eye tests,” Cornea, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 640–650, 2003.
- M. B. Abelson, G. W. Ousler III, L. A. Nally, D. Welch, and K. Krenzer, “Alternative reference values for tear film break up time in normal and dry eye populations,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 506, pp. 1121–1125, 2002.
- E. Toker and E. Asfuroǧlu, “Corneal and conjunctival sensitivity in patients with dry eye: the effect of topical cyclosporine therapy,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 2010.
- G. W. Ousler III, K. W. Hagberg, M. Schindelar, D. Welch, and M. B. Abelson, “The ocular protection index,” Cornea, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 509–513, 2008.
- T. Fujihara, T. Takeuchi, K. Saito, Y. Kitajima, T. K. Kobayashi, and K. Tsubota, “Evaluation of human conjunctival epithelium by a combination of brush cytology and flow cytometry: an approach to the quantitative technique,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 456–460, 1997.
- A. J. Bron, M. B. Abelson, G. Ousler et al., “Methodologies to diagnose and monitor dry eye disease: report of the diagnostic methodology subcommittee of the international Dry Eye Workshop (2007),” Ocular Surface, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 108–152, 2007.
- W. Stevenson, S. K. Chauhan, and R. Dana, “Dry eye disease: an immune-mediated ocular surface disorder,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 90–100, 2012.
- S. C. Pflugfelder, G. Geerling, S. Kinoshita et al., “Management and therapy of dry eye disease: report of the management and therapy subcommittee of the international Dry Eye WorkShop (2007),” Ocular Surface, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 163–178, 2007.
- B. Miljanović, K. A. Trivedi, M. R. Dana, J. P. Gilbard, J. E. Buring, and D. A. Schaumberg, “Relation between dietary n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and clinically diagnosed dry eye syndrome in women,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 887–893, 2005.
- S. Barabino, M. Rolando, P. Camicione et al., “Systemic linoleic and γ-linolenic acid therapy in dry eye syndrome with an inflammatory component,” Cornea, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 97–101, 2003.
- T. Kojima, R. Ishida, M. Dogru et al., “The effect of autologous serum eyedrops in the treatment of severe dry eye disease: a prospective randomized case-control study,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 242–246, 2005.
- S. Kinoshita, K. Oshiden, S. Awamura, H. Suzuki, and N. Nakamichi, “A randomized, multicenter phase 3 study comparing 2% rebamipide (OPC-12759) with 0.1% sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of dry eye,” Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 1158–1165, 2013.
- S. A. Baxter and P. R. Laibson, “Punctal plugs in the management of dry eyes,” Ocular Surface, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 255–265, 2004.
- K. Tsubota, M. Yamada, and K. Urayama, “Spectacle side panels and moist inserts for the treatment of dry-eye patients,” Cornea, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 197–201, 1994.
- P. Rosenthal, J. M. Cotter, and J. Baum, “Treatment of persistent corneal epithelial defect with extended wear of a fluid-ventilated gas-permeable scleral contact lens,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2000.