- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 309769, 10 pages
Streptomyces lunalinharesii Strain 235 Shows the Potential to Inhibit Bacteria Involved in Biocorrosion Processes
Departamento de Microbiologia Geral, Instituto de Microbiologia Prof. Paulo de Góes, Centro de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Bloco I, Ilha do Fundão, 21941-590 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 28 September 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editor: Neelu Nawani
Copyright © 2013 Juliana Pacheco da Rosa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Y. Zhu, J. Lubeck, and J. J. Kilbane, “Characterization of microbial communities in gas industry pipelines,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 5354–5363, 2003.
- R. Zuo, “Biofilms: strategies for metal corrosion inhibition employing microorganisms,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 1245–1253, 2007.
- M. J. Feio, V. Rainha, M. A. Reis, A. R. Lino, and I. T. E. Fonseca, “The influence of the Desulfovibrio desulfuricans 14 ATCC 27774 on the corrosion of mild steel,” Materials and Corrosion—Werkstoffe und Korrosion, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 691–697, 2000.
- M. Magot, B. Ollivier, and B. K. C. Patel, “Microbiology of petroleum reservoirs,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 103–116, 2000.
- E. Korenblum, I. Von Der Weid, A. L. S. Santos et al., “Production of antimicrobial substances by Bacillus subtilis LFE-1, B. firmus H2O-1 and B. licheniformis T6-5 isolated from an oil reservoir in Brazil,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 667–675, 2005.
- I. Von Der Weid, E. Korenblum, D. Jurelevicius et al., “Molecular diversity of bacterial communities from subseafloor rock samples in a deep-water production basin in Brazil,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 5–14, 2008.
- L. R. Gardner and P. S. Stewart, “Action of glutaraldehyde and nitrite against sulfate-reducing bacterial biofilms,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 354–360, 2002.
- S. S. Branda, J. E. González-Pastor, E. Dervyn, S. D. Ehrlich, R. Losick, and R. Kolter, “Genes involved in formation of structured multicellular communities by Bacillus subtilis,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 186, no. 12, pp. 3970–3979, 2004.
- R. F. Jack, D. B. Ringelberg, and D. C. White, “Differential corrosion rates of carbon steel by combinations of Bacillus sp., Hafnia alvei and Desulfovibrio gigas established by phospholipid analysis of electrode biofilm,” Corrosion Science, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1843–1853, 1992.
- H. A. Videla and L. K. Herrera, “Microbiologically influenced corrosion: looking to the future,” International Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 169–180, 2005.
- J. Larsen, P. F. Sanders, and R. E. Talbot, “Experience with the use of tetrakis hydroxymethyl phosphonium sulfate (THPS) for the control of downhole hydrogen sulfide,” in Proceedings of the Corrosion Conference, NACE, March 2000.
- H. A. Videla, “Prevention and control of biocorrosion,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 259–270, 2002.
- R. Zuo, D. Örnek, B. C. Syrett et al., “Inhibiting mild steel corrosion from sulfate-reducing bacteria using antimicrobial-producing biofilms in Three-Mile-Island process water,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 275–283, 2004.
- J. Berdy, “Bioactive microbial metabolites,” Journal of Antibiotics (Tokyo), vol. 58, pp. 1–26, 2005.
- R. Ben Ameur Mehdi, S. Sioud, L. Fourati Ben Fguira, S. Bejar, and L. Mellouli, “Purification and structure determination of four bioactive molecules from a newly isolated Streptomyces sp. TN97 strain,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1506–1513, 2006.
- P. Sun, K. N. Maloney, S. J. Nam et al., “Fijimycins A-C, three antibacterial etamycin-class depsipeptides from a marine-derived Streptomyces sp,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, pp. 6557–6562, 2011.
- L. P. Trenozhnikova, A. K. Khasenova, A. S. Balgimbaeva et al., “Characterization of the antibiotic compound no. 70 produced by Streptomyces sp. IMV-70,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, 8 pages, 2012.
- Z. Q. Xiong, Z. P. Zhang, J. H. Li, S. J. Wei, and G. Q. Tua, “Characterization of Streptomyces padanus JAU4234, a producer of actinomycin X2, fungichromin, and a new polyene macrolide antibiotic,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 589–592, 2012.
- P. K. Jain and P. C. Jain, “Isolation, characterization and antifungal activity of Streptomyces sampsonii GS 1322,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 203–206, 2007.
- B. Prapagdee, C. Kuekulvong, and S. Mongkolsuk, “Antifungal potential of extracellular metabolites produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus against phytopathogenic fungi,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 330–337, 2008.
- Y. Ouhdouch, M. Barakate, and C. Finance, “Actinomycetes of Moroccan habitats: isolation and screening for antifungal activities,” European Journal of Soil Biology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 69–74, 2001.
- L. T. A. S. Semêdo, A. A. Linhares, R. C. Gomes et al., “Isolation and characterization of actinomycetes from Brazilian tropical soils,” Microbiological Research, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 291–299, 2001.
- R. R. R. Coelho, A. Lopes, L. T. A. S. Semêdo, and F. S. Cruz, “Culture filtrates of actinomycetes isolated from tropical soils inhibit Trypanosoma cruzi replication in vitro,” Revista de Microbiologia, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 307–313, 1995.
- S. A. Reis, L. V. Costa, E. D. C. Cavalcanti et al., “Protein synthesis inhibitory activity in culture filtrates from new strains of Streptomyces isolated from Brazilian tropical soils,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 138–143, 2003.
- D. R. Sacramento, R. R. R. Coelho, M. D. Wigg et al., “Antimicrobial and antiviral activities of an actinomycete (Streptomyces sp.) isolated from a Brazilian tropical forest soil,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 225–229, 2004.
- E. B. Shirling and D. Gottlieb, “Methods for characterization of Streptomyces species,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 313–340, 1966.
- G. V. Sebastián, Avaliação da população bacteriana presente em um reservatório de petróleo situado em águas profundas brasileiras, com ênfase no isolamento e caracterização de estirpes de Bacillus [dissertação], Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 1999.
- R. F. Schleif and P. C. Wensink, Practical Methods in Molecular Biology, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- M. J. Feio, V. Zinkevich, I. B. Beech et al., “Desulfovibrio alaskensis sp. nov., a sulphate-reducing bacterium from a soured oil reservoir,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1747–1752, 2004.
- J. R. Postgate, The Sulfate-Reducing Bacteria, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1984.
- A. S. Rosado and L. Seldin, “Production of a potentially novel anti-microbial substance by Bacillus polymyxa,” World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 521–528, 1993.
- I. Von Der Weid, D. S. Alviano, A. L. S. Santos, R. M. A. Soares, C. S. Alviano, and L. Seldin, “Antimicrobial activity of Paenibacillus peoriae strain NRRL BD-62 against a broad spectrum of phytopathogenic bacteria and fungi,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1143–1151, 2003.
- P. Valente, F. C. Gouveia, G. A. Lemos, D. Pimentel, L. C. Mendonça-Hagler, and A. N. Hagler, “PCR-amplified ITS length variation within the yeast genus Metschnikowia,” Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 179–181, 1997.
- W. G. Weisburg, S. M. Barns, D. A. Pelletier, and D. J. Lane, “16S ribosomal DNA amplification for phylogenetic study,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 697–703, 1991.
- F. E. Löffler, Q. Sun, J. Li, and J. M. Tiedje, “16S rRNA gene-based detection of tetrachloroethene-dechlorinating Desulfuromonas and Dehalococcoides species,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1369–1374, 2000.
- J. Sambrook, E. F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- S. F. Altschul, W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers, and D. J. Lipman, “Basic local alignment search tool,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 1990.
- J. D. Thompson, T. J. Gibson, F. Plewniak, F. Jeanmougin, and D. G. Higgins, “The CLUSTAL X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 4876–4882, 1997.
- P. Cashion, M. A. Holder Franklin, J. McCully, and M. Franklin, “A rapid method for the base ratio determination of bacterial DNA,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 461–466, 1977.
- J. De Ley, H. Cattoir, and A. Reynaerts, “The quantitative measurement of DNA hybridization from renaturation rates.,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 133–142, 1970.
- V. A. R. Huss, H. Festl, and K. H. Schleifer, “Studies on the spectrophotometric determination of DNA hybridization from renaturation rates,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 184–192, 1983.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- R. F. de Souza, R. R. R. Coelho, A. Macrae et al., “Streptomyces lunalinharesii sp. nov., a chitinolytic streptomycete isolated from cerrado soil in Brazil,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 2774–2778, 2008.
- B. Lanoot, M. Vancanneyt, B. Hoste et al., “Grouping of streptomycetes using 16S-ITS RFLP fingerprinting,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 156, no. 5-6, pp. 755–762, 2005.
- S. G. Dastager, C. J. Kim, J. C. Lee, D. Agasar, D. J. Park, and W. J. Li, “Streptomyces deccanensis sp. nov., an alkaliphilic species isolated from soil,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1089–1093, 2008.
- L. G. Wayne, D. J. Brenner, R. R. Colwell et al., “Report of the Ad Hoc committee on reconciliation of approaches to bacterial systematics,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 463–464, 1987.
- R. C. Gomes, L. T. A. S. Sêmedo, R. M. A. Soares et al., “Purification of a thermostable endochitinase from Streptomyces RC1071 isolated from a cerrado soil and its antagonism against phytopathogenic fungi,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 653–661, 2001.
- A. Fróes, A. Macrae, J. Rosa et al., “Selection of a Streptomyces strain able to produce cell wall degrading enzymes and active against Sclerotinina sclerotiorum,” Journal of Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 798–806, 2012.
- D. Thakur, T. C. Bora, G. N. Bordoloi, and S. Mazumdar, “Influence of nutrition and culturing conditions for optimum growth and antimicrobial metabolite production by Streptomyces sp. 201,” Journal de Mycologie Medicale, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 161–167, 2009.
- J. Yu, Q. Liu, Q. Liu et al., “Effect of liquid culture requirements on antifungal antibiotic production by Streptomyces rimosus MY02,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 2087–2091, 2008.
- K. Eckart, “Mass spectrometry of cyclic peptides,” Mass Spectrometry Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 23–55, 1994.
- A. Cherif, S. Chehimi, F. Limem et al., “Detection and characterization of the novel bacteriocin entomocin 9, and safety evaluation of its producer, Bacillus thuringiensis ssp. entomocidus HD9,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 990–1000, 2003.
- F. Cladera-Olivera, G. R. Caron, and A. Brandelli, “Bacteriocin-like substance production by Bacillus licheniformis strain P40,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 251–256, 2004.
- S. Kavitha, S. Senthilkumar, S. Gnanamanickam, M. Inayathullah, and R. Jayakumar, “Isolation and partial characterization of antifungal protein from Bacillus polymyxa strain VLB16,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 3236–3243, 2005.
- L. He, W. L. Chen, and Y. Liu, “Production and partial characterization of bacteriocin-like pepitdes by Bacillus licheniformis ZJU12,” Microbiological Research, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 321–326, 2006.
- Y. Guo, E. Huang, C. Yuan, L. Zhang, and A. E. Yousef, “Isolation of a Paenibacillussp. strain and structural elucidation of its broad-spectrum lipopeptide antibiotic,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 78, no. 9, pp. 3156–3165, 2012.
- M. Atanassova, Y. Choiset, M. Dalgalarrondo et al., “Isolation and partial biochemical characterization of a proteinaceous anti-bacteria and anti-yeast compound produced by Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei strain M3,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 87, no. 1-2, pp. 63–73, 2003.
- S. Ohmomo, S. Murata, N. Katayama et al., “Purification and some characteristics of enterocin ON-157, a bacteriocin produced by Enterococcus faecium NIAI 157,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 81–89, 2000.
- M. Meincken, D. L. Holroyd, and M. Rautenbach, “Atomic force microscopy study of the effect of antimicrobial peptides on the cell envelope of Escherichia coli,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 4085–4092, 2005.
- M. Hartmann, M. Berditsch, J. Hawecker, M. F. Ardakani, D. Gerthsen, and A. S. Ulrich, “Damage of the bacterial cell envelope by antimicrobial peptides gramicidin S and PGLa as revealed by transmission and scanning electron microscopy,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 3132–3142, 2010.