- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 313905, 11 pages
Antioxidant Capacity and the Correlation with Major Phenolic Compounds, Anthocyanin, and Tocopherol Content in Various Extracts from the Wild Edible Boletus edulis Mushroom
1Department of Industrial Biotechnology, Faculty of Biotechnology, University of Agronomical Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Bucharest, 59 Marasti Boulevard, 011464 Bucharest, Romania
2Department of Physical-Chemical Analysis and Quality Control, National Institute for Chemical-Pharmaceutical Research and Development (ICCF Bucharest), 112 Vitan Road, 031299 Bucharest, Romania
Received 12 September 2012; Accepted 16 October 2012
Academic Editor: Marija Mostarica-Stojković
Copyright © 2013 Emanuel Vamanu and Sultana Nita. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Robaszkiewicz, G. Bartosz, M. Lawrynowicz, and M. Soszynski, “The Role of polyphenols, β-carotene, and lycopene in the antioxidative action of the extracts of dried, edible mushrooms,” Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 2010, Article ID 173274, 9 pages, 2010.
- M. Rai, G. Tidke, and S. P. Wasser, “Therapeutic potential of mushrooms,” Natural Product Radiance, vol. 4, pp. 246–257, 2005.
- J. Y. Yeh, L. H. Hsieh, K. T. Wu, and C. F. Tsai, “Antioxidant properties and antioxidant compounds of various extracts from the edible basidiomycete Grifola frondosa (Maitake),” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 3197–3211, 2011.
- M. Elmastas, O. Isildak, I. Turkekul, and N. Temur, “Determination of antioxidant activity and antioxidant compounds in wild edible mushrooms,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 337–345, 2007.
- P. Mattila, A. M. Lampi, R. Ronkainen, J. Toivo, and V. Piironen, “Sterol and vitamin D2 contents in some wild and cultivated mushrooms,” Food Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 293–298, 2002.
- B. Ribeiroa, R. Lopesa, P. B. Andradea et al., “Comparative study of phytochemicals and antioxidant potential of wild edible mushroom caps and stipes,” Food Chemistry, vol. 110, pp. 47–56, 2008.
- S. Y. Tsai, H. L. Tsai, and J. L. Mau, “Antioxidant properties of Agaricus blazei, Agrocybe cylindracea, and Boletus edulis,” LWT, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1392–1402, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, S. J. Kim, H. R. Park et al., “The different antioxidant and anticancer activities depending on the color of oyster mushrooms,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1016–1020, 2009.
- R. Singla, A. Ganguli, and M. Ghosh, “Antioxidant activities and polyphenolic properties of raw and osmotically dehydrated dried mushroom (Agaricus bisporous) snack food,” International Journal of Food Properties, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1290–1299, 2010.
- L. Ramkumar, T. Ramanathan, P. Thirunavukkarasu, and N. Arivuselvan, “Antioxidant and radical scavenging activity of nine edible mushrooms extract,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 6, pp. 950–953, 2010.
- M. V. Kumaraswamy and S. Satish, “Antioxidant and anti-lipoxygenase activity of Thespesia lampas Dalz & Gibs,” Advances in Biological Research, vol. 2, pp. 56–59, 2008.
- N. Alam, K. N. Yoon, and T. S. Lee, “Evaluation of the antioxidant and antityrosinase activities of three extracts from Pleurotus nebrodensis fruiting bodies,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, pp. 2978–2986, 2011.
- S. I. Lim, C. W. Cho, U. K. Choi, and Y. C. Kim, “Antioxidant activity and ginsenoside pattern of fermented white ginseng,” Journal of Ginseng Research, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 168–174, 2010.
- K. Sunil, K. M. Dinesh, S. Kamal, S. Nidhan, and V. Bhoodev, “Antioxidant and free radical scavenging potential of Citrullus colocynthis (L.) Schrad. methanolic fruit extract,” Acta Pharmaceutica, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 215–221, 2008.
- V. O. Oyetayo, C. H. Dong, and Y. J. Yao, “Antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of aqueous extract from Dictyophora indusiata,” The Open Mycology Journal, vol. 3, pp. 20–26, 2009.
- N. Abdullah, S. M. Ismail, N. Aminudin, A. S. Shuib, and B. F. Lau, “Evaluation of selected culinary-medicinal mushrooms for antioxidant and CE inhibitory activities,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 464238, 12 pages, 2012.
- C. Anesini, G. E. Ferraro, and R. Filip, “Total polyphenol content and antioxidant capacity of commercially available tea (Camellia sinensis) in Argentina,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 19, pp. 9225–9229, 2008.
- I. S. Kim, M. R. Yang, O. H. Lee, and S. N. Kang, “Antioxidant activities of hot water extracts from various spices,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 4120–4131, 2011.
- L. Barros, T. Cruz, P. Baptista, L. M. Estevinho, and I. C. F. R. Ferreira, “Wild and commercial mushrooms as source of nutrients and nutraceuticals,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 2742–2747, 2008.
- S. Parthasarathy, J. B. Azizi, S. Ramanathan et al., “Evaluation of antioxidant and antibacterial activities of aqueous, methanolic and alkaloid extracts from Mitragyna speciosa (rubiaceae family) leaves,” Molecules, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 3964–3974, 2009.
- J. Dai and R. J. Mumper, “Plant phenolics: extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer properties,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 7313–7352, 2010.
- S. M. Kim and B. H. Um, “Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds among blueberry cultivars by HPLC-ESI/MS and on-line HPLC-ABTS system,” Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, vol. 5, pp. 5008–5016, 2011.
- P. Li, L. Huo, W. Su et al., “Free radical-scavenging capacity, antioxidant activity and phenolic content of Pouzolzia zeylanica,” Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 709–717, 2011.
- D. Martysiak-Zurowska and W. Wenta, “A comparison of abts and dpph methods for assessing the total antioxidant capacity of human milk,” ACTA Scientiarum Polonorum, vol. 11, pp. 83–89, 2012.
- W. Binsan, S. Benjakul, W. Visessanguan, S. Roytrakul, M. Tanaka, and H. Kishimura, “Antioxidative activity of Mungoong, an extract paste, from the cephalothorax of white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei),” Food Chemistry, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 185–193, 2008.
- L. Barros, M. J. Ferreira, B. Queirós, I. C. F. R. Ferreira, and P. Baptista, “Total phenols, ascorbic acid, β-carotene and lycopene in Portuguese wild edible mushrooms and their antioxidant activities,” Food Chemistry, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 413–419, 2007.
- O. Beyhan, M. Elmastaş, and F. Gedikli, “Total phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of leaf, dry fruit and fresh fruit of feijoa (Acca sellowiana, Myrtaceae),” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 1065–1072, 2010.
- I. Gulcin, I. O. Kufrevioglu, M. Oktay, and M. E. Buyukokuroglu, “Antioxidant, antimicrobial, antiulcer and analgesic activities of nettle (Urtica dioica L.),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 90, no. 2-3, pp. 205–215, 2004.
- J. L. Mau, H. C. Lin, and C. C. Chen, “Antioxidant properties of several medicinal mushrooms,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 21, pp. 6072–6077, 2002.
- B. Hazra, S. Biswas, and N. Mandal, “Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of Spondias pinnata,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 8, pp. 63–73, 2008.
- S. Maqsood and S. Benjakul, “Comparative studies of four different phenolic compounds on in vitro antioxidative activity and the preventive effect on lipid oxidation of fish oil emulsion and fish mince,” Food Chemistry, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 123–132, 2010.
- L. Barros, S. Falcão, P. Baptista, C. Freire, M. Vilas-Boas, and I. C. F. R. Ferreira, “Antioxidant activity of Agaricus sp. mushrooms by chemical, biochemical and electrochemical assays,” Food Chemistry, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 2008.
- L. Barros, P. Baptista, L. M. Estevinho, and I. C. F. R. Ferreira, “Bioactive properties of the medicinal mushroom Leucopaxillus giganteus mycelium obtained in the presence of different nitrogen sources,” Food Chemistry, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 179–186, 2007.
- A. A. H. Kadhum, A. A. Al-Amiery, A. Y. Musa, and A. B. Mohamad, “The antioxidant activity of new coumarin derivatives,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, pp. 5747–5761, 2011.
- S. S. Sakat and A. R. Juvekar, “Comparative study of Erythrina indica Lam. (Febaceae) leaves extracts for antioxidant activity,” Journal of Young Pharmacists, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 2010.
- A. G. Estévez and J. Jordán, “Nitric oxide and superoxide, a deadly cocktail,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 962, pp. 207–211, 2002.
- J. Pal, S. Ganguly, K. S. Tahsin, and K. Acharya, “In vitro free radical scavenging activity of wild edible mushroom, Pleurotus squarrosulus (Mont.) Singer,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1210–1218, 2010.
- M. Rajasekaran and C. Kalaimagal, “In vitro antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of a medicinal mushroom, Ganoderma Lucidum,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Research, vol. 3, pp. 1427–1433, 2011.
- P. Thirunavukkarasu, T. Ramanathan, R. Shanmugapriya, G. Umamaheswari, and G. Renugadevi, “Antioxidant and free radical scavenging effect of Acanthus ilicifolius,” Research Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 6, pp. 218–222, 2011.
- Y. L. Lee, G. W. Huang, Z. C. Liang, and J. L. Mau, “Antioxidant properties of three extracts from Pleurotus citrinopileatus,” LWT, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 823–833, 2007.
- A. Keles, I. Koca, and H. Genccelep, “Antioxidant properties of wild edible mushrooms,” Journal of Food Processing & Technology, vol. 2, pp. 130–136, 2011.
- E. S. Lin, C. T. Yang, H. J. Chou, and T. T. Chang, “Screening of antioxidant activities by the edible basidiomycete antrodia cinnamomea strains in submerged culture,” Journal of Food Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1141–1156, 2010.
- I. Palacios, M. Lozano, C. Moro et al., “Antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds occurring in edible mushrooms,” Food Chemistry, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 674–678, 2011.
- “Functional substrates for growth of culinary and medicinal mushrooms,” Patent 7178285 Issued on February 20, 2007.
- F. S. Reis, E. Pereira, L. Barros, M. J. Sousa, A. Martins, and I. C. F. R. Ferreira, “Biomolecule profiles in inedible wild mushrooms with antioxidant value,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 4328–4338, 2011.
- N. M. Shofian, A. A. Hamid, A. Osman et al., “Effect of freeze-drying on the antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activity of selected tropical fruits,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 4678–4692, 2011.