- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 314091, 10 pages
Heparin and Carboxymethylchitosan Metal Nanoparticles: An Evaluation of Their Cytotoxicity
1Dipartimento di Biotecnologie e Scienze della Vita, Università dell'Insubria, 21100 Varese, Italy
2Dipartimento di Scienze Teoriche ed Applicate, Università dell'Insubria, 21100 Varese, Italy
3Dipartimento di Chimica, Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica “G. Natta,” Politecnico di Milano, 20131 Milano, Italy
4Interuniversity Center “The Protein Factory,” Politecnico di Milano, ICRM-CNR Milano and Università dell'Insubria, 20131 Milano, Italy
5Division of Oncology and Hematology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
Received 23 October 2012; Revised 3 January 2013; Accepted 3 January 2013
Academic Editor: Xudong Huang
Copyright © 2013 Adriana Bava et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Cattaneo, R. Gornati, E. Sabbioni et al., “Nanotechnology and human health: risks and benefits,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 730–744, 2010.
- H. Eidi, O. Joubert, G. Attik et al., “Cytotoxicity assessment of heparin nanoparticles in NR8383 macrophages,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 396, no. 1-2, pp. 156–165, 2010.
- M. M. Kemp and R. J. Linhardt, “Heparin-based nanoparticles,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 77–87, 2010.
- V. K. Mourya, N. N. Inamdar, and A. Tiwari, “Carboxymethyl chitosan and its applications,” Advanced Materials Letters, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–33, 2010.
- R. Riva, H. Ragelle, A. des Rieux, N. Duhem, C. Jérôme, and V. Préat, “Chitosan and chitosan derivatives in drug delivery and tissue engineering,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 244, pp. 19–44, 2011.
- A. Zhu, L. Yuan, and T. Liao, “Suspension of Fe3O4 nanoparticles stabilized by chitosan and o-carboxymethylchitosan,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 350, no. 1-2, pp. 361–368, 2008.
- H. Y. Hwang, I. S. Kim, I. C. Kwon, and Y. H. Kim, “Tumor targetability and antitumor effect of docetaxel-loaded hydrophobically modified glycol chitosan nanoparticles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2008.
- R. Dinarvand, N. Sepehri, S. Manoochehri, H. Rouhani, and F. Atyabi, “Polylactide-co-glycolide nanoparticles for controlled delivery of anticancer agents,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 877–895, 2011.
- C. E. Mora-Huertas, H. Fessi, and A. Elaissari, “Polymer-based nanocapsules for drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 385, no. 1-2, pp. 113–142, 2010.
- A. Bava, R. Gornati, F. Cappellini, L. Caldinelli, L. Pollegioni, and G. Bernardini, “D-amino acid oxidase-nanoparticle system: a potential novel approach for cancer enzymatic therapy,” Nanomedicine, 2013.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Mädler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5761, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- S. Singh and H. S. Nalwa, “Nanotechnology and health safety - Toxicity and risk assessments of nanostructured materials on human health,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 3048–3070, 2007.
- E. Papis, R. Gornati, J. Ponti, M. Prati, E. Sabbioni, and G. Bernardini, “Gene expression in nanotoxicology: a search for biomarkers of exposure to cobalt particles and ions,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 198–203, 2007.
- E. Papis, R. Gornati, M. Prati, J. Ponti, E. Sabbioni, and G. Bernardini, “Gene expression in nanotoxicology research: analysis by differential display in BALB3T3 fibroblasts exposed to cobalt particles and ions,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 2007.
- M. Di Gioacchino, N. Verna, L. Di Giampaolo et al., “Immunotoxicity and sensitizing capacity of metal compounds depend on speciation,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 15–22, 2007.
- A. Munoz and M. Costa, “Elucidating the mechanisms of nickel compound uptake: a review of particulate and nano-nickel endocytosis and toxicity,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 260, pp. 1–16, 2012.
- A. G. . Cattaneo, R. Gornati, M. Chiriva-Internati, and G. Bernardini, “Ecotoxicology of nanomaterials: the role of invertebrate testing,” Invertebrate Survival Journal, vol. 6, pp. 78–97, 2009.
- Y. Xu, Z. Wen, and Z. Xu, “Chitosan nanoparticles inhibit the growth of human hepatocellular carcinoma xenografts through an antiangiogenic mechanism,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 5103–5109, 2009.
- P. Poizot, S. Laruelle, S. Grugeon, L. Dupont, and J. M. Tarascon, “Nano-sized transition-metal oxides as negative-electrode materials for lithium-ion batteries,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6803, pp. 496–499, 2000.
- L. D. Pachón and G. Rothenberg, “Transition-metal nanoparticles: synthesis, stability and the leaching issue,” Applied Organometallic Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 288–299, 2008.
- M. Moreno-Mañas and R. Pleixats, “Formation of carbon-carbon bonds under catalysis by transition-metal nanoparticles,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 638–643, 2003.
- S. Rafique, M. Idrees, A. Nasim, H. Akbar, and A. Athar, “Transition metal complexes as potential therapeutic agents,” Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 38–45, 2010.
- A. Zhu, M. B. Chan-Park, S. Dai, and L. Li, “The aggregation behavior of O-carboxymethylchitosan in dilute aqueous solution,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 43, no. 3-4, pp. 143–149, 2005.
- Y. Y. Liang and L. M. Zhang, “Bioconjugation of papain on superparamagnetic nanoparticles decorated with carboxymethylated chitosan,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1480–1486, 2007.
- D. R. Kester, I. W. Duedall, D. N. Connors, and R. M. Pytkowicz, “Preparation of artificial sea water,” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 176–179, 1967.
- R. Bhattacharya and P. Mukherjee, “Biological properties of "naked" metal nanoparticles,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1289–1306, 2008.
- J. Conde, G. Doria, and P. Baptista, “Noble metal nanoparticles applications in cancer,” Journal of Drug Delivery, vol. 2012, Article ID 751075, 12 pages, 2012.
- J. L. Martinez-Hurtado, “Metallic nanoparticle block copolymer vesicles with enhanced optical properties,” Nanomaterials, vol. 1, pp. 20–30, 2011.
- P. Tartaj, M. Del Puerto Morales, S. Veintemillas-Verdaguer, T. González-Carreño, and C. J. Serna, “The preparation of magnetic nanoparticles for applications in biomedicine,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. R182–R197, 2003.
- M. M. Kemp, A. Kumar, S. Mousa et al., “Synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles stabilized with glycosaminoglycans having distinctive biological activities,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 589–595, 2009.
- H. Khurshid, S. H. Kim, M. J. Bonder et al., “Development of heparin-coated magnetic nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery applications,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105, no. 7, Article ID 07B308, 3 pages, 2009.
- C. Sun, J. S. H. Lee, and M. Zhang, “Magnetic nanoparticles in MR imaging and drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1252–1265, 2008.
- O. Veiseh, J. W. Gunn, and M. Zhang, “Design and fabrication of magnetic nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery and imaging,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 284–304, 2010.
- D. Y. Lee, “Highly effective T2 MR contrast agent based on heparinized superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 843–847, 2011.
- K. Lee, H. Lee, K. H. Bae, and T. G. Park, “Heparin immobilized gold nanoparticles for targeted detection and apoptotic death of metastatic cancer cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 25, pp. 6530–6536, 2010.
- K. A. Min, F. Yu, V. C. Yang, X. Zhang, and G. R. Rosania, “Transcellular transport of heparin-coated magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (Hep-MION) under the influence of an applied magnetic field,” Pharmaceutics, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 119–135, 2010.
- A. Villanueva, M. Cãete, A. G. Roca et al., “The influence of surface functionalization on the enhanced internalization of magnetic nanoparticles in cancer cells,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 11, Article ID 115103, 9 pages, 2009.
- E. Sabbioni, S. Fortaner, M. Farina et al., “Interaction with culture medium components, cellular uptake and intracellular distribution of cobalt nanoparticles, microparticles and ions in Balb/3T3 mouse fibroblasts,” Nanotoxicology, 2012.
- C. Wilhelm and F. Gazeau, “Universal cell labelling with anionic magnetic nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 22, pp. 3161–3174, 2008.
- E. Papis, F. Rossi, M. Raspanti et al., “Engineered cobalt oxide nanoparticles readily enter cells,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 189, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 2009.
- H. Arami, Z. Stephen, O. Veiseh, and M. Zhang, “Chitosan-coated iron oxide nanoparticles for molecular imaging and drug delivery,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 243, pp. 63–184, 2011.
- X. G. Chen and H. J. Park, “Chemical characteristics of O-carboxymethyl chitosans related to the preparation conditions,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 355–359, 2003.
- A. P. Zhu, N. Fang, M. B. Chan-Park, and V. Chan, “Interaction between O-carboxymethylchitosan and dipalmitoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine bilayer,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 34, pp. 6873–6879, 2005.
- P. Agrawal, G. J. Strijkers, and K. Nicolay, “Chitosan-based systems for molecular imaging,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 42–58, 2010.
- D. Bhattacharya, M. Das, D. Mishra et al., “Folate receptor targeted, carboxymethyl chitosan functionalized iron oxide nanoparticles: a novel ultradispersed nanoconjugates for bimodal imaging,” Nanoscale, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1653–1662, 2011.
- T. T. Trang Mai, P. T. Ha, H. N. Pham et al., “Chitosan and O-carboxymethylchitosan modified Fe3O4 for hyperthermic treatment,” Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 3, Article ID 015006, 5 pages, 2012.
- C. F. Jones and D. W. Grainger, “In vitro assessments of nanomaterial toxicity,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 438–456, 2009.