- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 314823, 7 pages
Familial Aggregation of Metabolic Syndrome Indicators in Portuguese Families
1CIFI2D, Faculty of Sports, University of Porto, Rua Dr. Plácido Costa 91, 4200-450 Porto, Portugal
2Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, 6400 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
3INSERM, UMR S937, Institute for Cardiometabolism and Nutrition (ICAN), Pierre and Marie Curie University (UPMC, Paris6), 75654 Paris Cedex 13, France
Received 11 April 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2013 D. M. Santos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. M. Reaven, “Role of insulin resistance in human disease,” Diabetes, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1595–1607, 1988.
- B. Isomaa, P. Almgren, T. Tuomi et al., “Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 683–689, 2001.
- H.-M. Lakka, D. E. Laaksonen, T. A. Lakka et al., “The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 21, pp. 2709–2716, 2002.
- K. G. Alberti and P. Z. Zimmet, “Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 539–553, 1998.
- E. S. Ford, W. H. Giles, and A. H. Mokdad, “Increasing prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among U.S. adults,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2444–2449, 2004.
- J. R. Churilla, E. C. Fitzhugh, and D. L. Thompson, “The metabolic syndrome: how definition impacts the prevalence and risk in U.S. adults: 1999–2004 NHANES,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 331–342, 2007.
- M. Fiuza, N. Cortez-Dias, S. Martins, and A. Belo, “Metabolic syndrome in Portugal: prevalence and implications for cardiovascular risk—results from the VALSIM Study,” Revista Portuguesa de Cardiologia, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1495–1529, 2008.
- R. B. Ervin, “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among adults 20 years of age and over, by sex, age, race and ethnicity, and body mass index: United States, 2003–2006,” National Health Statistics Reports, no. 13, pp. 1–7, 2009.
- S. Vattikuti, J. Guo, and C. C. Chow, “Heritability and genetic correlations explained by common SNPS for metabolic syndrome traits,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 8, no. 3, Article ID e1002637, 2012.
- R. C. Elston, J. M. Satagopan, and S. Sun, Eds., Statistical Human Genetics. Methods and Protocols, Humana Press, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- W. Tang, Y. Hong, M. A. Province et al., “Familial clustering for features of the metabolic syndrome: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Family Heart Study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 631–636, 2006.
- D. A. Trégouet, B. Herbeth, I. Juhan-Vague, G. Siest, P. Ducimetiere, and L. Tiret, “Bivariate familial correlation analysis of quantitative traits by use of estimating equations: application to a familial analysis of the insulin resistance syndrome,” Genetic Epidemiology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 69–83, 1999.
- Z. Pang, D. Zhang, S. Li et al., “Multivariate modelling of endophenotypes associated with the metabolic syndrome in Chinese twins,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2554–2561, 2010.
- C. M. Povel, J. M. A. Boer, and E. J. M. Feskens, “Shared genetic variance between the features of the metabolic syndrome: heritability studies,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 666–669, 2011.
- M. J. V. Rosa and P. Chitas, Portugal: os números. Lisboa, Portugal, 2010.
- T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorel, Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- LDX Cholestech , The Accuracy and Reproducibility of a Rapid, Fingerstick Method for Measuring a Complete Lipid Profile Is Comparable to a Reference Laboratory Method, Cholestech Corporation, 2003.
- LDX Cholestech, The Accuracy and Reproducibility of a Rapid, Fingerstick Method for Measuring a Complete Lipid Profile Is Comparable to a Reference Laboratory Method (b), Cholestech Corporation, 2003.
- J. A. Topouchian, M. A. El Assaad, L. V. Orobinskaia, R. N. El Feghali, and R. G. Asmar, “Validation of two automatic devices for self-measurement of blood pressure according to the International Protocol of the European Society of Hypertension: the Omron M6 (HEM-7001-E) and the Omron R7 (HEM 637-IT),” Blood Pressure Monitoring, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 165–171, 2006.
- J. Blangero and L. Almasy, “Multipoint oligogenic linkage analysis of quantitative traits,” Genetic Epidemiology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 959–964, 1997.
- D.-A. Trégouët and L. Tiret, “Applications of the estimating equations theory to genetic epidemiology: a review,” Annals of Human Genetics, vol. 64, part 1, pp. 1–14, 2000.
- S. Plancoulaine, L. Abel, M. van Beveren et al., “Human herpesvirus 8 transmission from mother to child and between siblings in an endemic population,” The Lancet, vol. 356, no. 9235, pp. 1062–1065, 2000.
- S. Plancoulaine, L. Abel, D. Trégouët et al., “Respective roles of serological status and blood specific antihuman herpesvirus 8 antibody levels in human herpesvirus 8 intrafamilial transmission in a highly endemic area,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 23, pp. 8782–8787, 2004.
- S. Plancoulaine, M. K. Mohamed, N. Arafa et al., “Dissection of familial correlations in hepatitis C virus (HCV) seroprevalence suggests intrafamilial viral transmission and genetic predisposition to infection,” Gut, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1268–1274, 2008.
- P. J. Barter, G. Brandrup-Wognsen, M. K. Palmer, and S. J. Nicholls, “Effect of statins on HDL-C: a complex process unrelated to changes in LDL-C: analysis of the VOYAGER database,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1546–1553, 2010.
- G. A. Kelley, K. S. Kelley, and Z. V. Tran, “Aerobic exercise and lipids and lipoproteins in women: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1148–1164, 2004.
- W. D.Johnson, J. J. M. Kroon, F. L. Greenway, C. Bouchard, D. Ryan, and P. T. Katzmarzyk, “Prevalence of risk factors for metabolic syndrome in adolescents: National health and nutrition examination survey (NHANES), 2001–2006,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 371–377, 2009.
- C. A. Reynolds, L. A. Baker, and N. L. Pedersen, “Models of spouse similarity: applications to fluid ability measured in twins and their spouses,” Behavior Genetics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 73–88, 1996.
- J. Hebebrand, H. Wulftange, T. Goerg et al., “Epidemic obesity: are genetic factors involved via increased rates of assortative mating?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 345–353, 2000.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, J. Hebebrand, and C. Bouchard, “Spousal resemblance in the Canadian population: implications for the obesity epidemic,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 241–246, 2002.
- M. H. M. de Moor, G. Willemsen, I. Rebollo-Mesa, J. H. Stubbe, E. J. C. de Geus, and D. I. Boomsma, “Exercise participation in adolescents and their parents: evidence for genetic and generation specific environmental effects,” Behavior Genetics, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 211–222, 2011.
- D. J. P. Barker, C. N. Hales, C. H. D. Fall, C. Osmond, K. Phipps, and P. M. S. Clark, “Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus, hypertension and hyperlipidaemia (syndrome X): relation to reduced fetal growth,” Diabetologia, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 1993.
- M. Miller, P. Langenberg, and S. Havas, “Impact of lowering triglycerides on raising HDL-C in hypertriglyceridemic and non-hypertriglyceridemic subjects,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 192–195, 2007.
- B. Lamarche, S. Rashid, and G. F. Lewis, “HDL metabolism in hypertriglyceridemic states: an overview,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 286, no. 1-2, pp. 145–161, 1999.
- S. Kathiresan, C. J. Willer, G. M. Peloso, et al., “Common variants at 30 loci contribute to polygenic dyslipidemia,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 56–65, 2009.
- N. F. Butte, A. G. Comuzzie, S. A. Cole et al., “Quantitative genetic analysis of the metabolic syndrome in hispanic children,” Pediatric Research, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1243–1248, 2005.
- Y. Hong, N. L. Pedersen, K. Brismar, and U. de Faire, “Genetic and environmental architecture of the features of the insulin-resistance syndrome,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 143–152, 1997.
- B. Benyamin, T. I. A. Sørensen, K. Schousboe, M. Fenger, P. M. Visscher, and K. O. Kyvik, “Are there common genetic and environmental factors behind the endophenotypes associated with the metabolic syndrome?” Diabetologia, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1880–1888, 2007.
- B. D. Mitchell, C. M. Kammerer, J. Blangero et al., “Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans: the San Antonio Family Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2159–2170, 1996.
- M. de Andrade, R. Guéguen, S. Visvikis, C. Sass, G. Siest, and C. I. Amos, “Extension of variance components approach to incorporate temporal trends and longitudinal pedigree data analysis,” Genetic Epidemiology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 221–232, 2002.
- R. Arya, R. Duggirala, C. P. Jenkinson et al., “Evidence of a novel quantitative-trait locus for obesity on chromosome 4p in Mexican Americans,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 272–282, 2004.
- K. N. Frayn, Metabolic Regulation: A Human Perspective, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2010.