- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 315365, 5 pages
Role of the Promoter Polymorphism IL-6 −174G/C in Dermatomyositis and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
1Department of Clinical Laboratory and Clinical Immunology, Medical University-Sofia, 1 Georgi Sofijski Street, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
2Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Medical University-Sofia, 1 Georgi Sofijski Street, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
3Molecular Medicine Center, Medical University-Sofia, 2 Zdrave Street, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
4Department of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Medical University-Sofia, 2 Zdrave Street, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
528 Diagnostic and Consultative Center-Sofia, 1 Iliya Beshkov Street, 1592 Sofia, Bulgaria
6Department of Nephrology, Ministry of Interior Hospital, 79 Skobelev Boulevard, 1606 Sofia, Bulgaria
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 29 July 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Tomoshige Kino
Copyright © 2013 Maria Hristova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. O'Shea, A. Ma, and P. Lipsky, “Cytokines and autoimmunity,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 2002.
- A. Pawlik, M. Baskiewicz-Masiuk, B. Machalinski, and B. Gawronska-Szklarz, “Association of cytokine gene polymorphisms and the release of cytokines from peripheral blood mononuclear cells treated with methotrexate and dexamethasone,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 351–357, 2006.
- L. Dourmishev, Z. Kamenarska, M. Hristova, R. Dodova, R. Kaneva, and V. Mitev, “Association of TNF- polymorphisms with adult dermatomyositis and systemic lupus erythematosus in Bulgarian patients,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 1467–1473, 2012.
- M. Linker-Israeli, D. J. Wallace, J. Prehn et al., “Association of IL-6 gene alleles with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and with elevated IL-6 expression,” Genes and Immunity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 1999.
- A. Sabry, H. A. Sheashaa, A. El-Husseini et al., “Proinflammatory cytokines (TNF-α and IL-6) in Egyptian patients with SLE: Its correlation with disease activity,” Cytokine, vol. 35, no. 3-4, pp. 148–153, 2006.
- A. Sabry, S. R. Elbasyouni, H. A. Sheashaa et al., “Correlation between levels of TNF-alpha; and IL-6 and hematological involvement in SLE Egyptian Patients with lupus nephritis,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 38, no. 3-4, pp. 731–737, 2006.
- R. C. J. Langen, A. M. W. J. Schols, M. C. J. M. Kelders, J. L. J. van der Velden, E. F. M. Wouters, and Y. M. W. Janssen-Heininger, “Tumor necrosis factor-α inhibits myogenesis through redox-dependent and -independent pathways,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 3, pp. C714–C721, 2002.
- E. Hagiwara, E. M. Adams, P. H. Plotz, and D. M. Klinman, “Abnormal numbers of cytokine producing cells in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 485–491, 1996.
- H. Bilgic, S. R. Ytterberg, S. Amin et al., “Interleukin-6 and type I interferon-regulated genes and chemokines Mark disease activity in dermatomyositis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 3436–3446, 2009.
- D. Fishman, G. Faulds, R. Jeffey et al., “The effect of novel polymorphisms in the interleukin-6 (IL-6) gene on IL-6 transcription and plasma IL-6 levels, and an association with systemic- onset juvenile chronic arthritis,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 102, no. 7, pp. 1369–1376, 1998.
- S. E. Humphries, L. A. Luong, M. S. Ogg, E. Hawe, and G. J. Miller, “The interleukin-6 −174G/C promoter polymorphism is associated with risk of coronary heart disease and systolic blood pressure in healthy men,” European Heart Journal, vol. 22, no. 24, pp. 2243–2252, 2001.
- J. Hulkkonen, M. Pertovaara, J. Antonen, A. Pasternack, and M. Hurme, “Elevated interleukin-6 plasma levels are regulated by the promoter region polymorphism of the IL6 gene in primary Sjögren's syndrome and correlate with the clinical manifestations of the disease,” Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 656–661, 2001.
- R. Sfrent-Cornateanu, C. Mihai, S. Balan, R. Ionescu, and E. Moldoveanu, “The IL-6 promoter polymorphism is associated with disease activity and disability in systemic sclerosis,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 955–959, 2006.
- A. Sawczenko, O. Azooz, J. Paraszczuk et al., “Intestinal inflammation-induced growth retardation acts through IL-6 in rats and depends on the −174 IL-6 G/C polymorphism in children,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 37, pp. 13260–13265, 2005.
- L. di Renzo, A. Bianchi, R. Saraceno et al., “−174G/C IL-6 gene promoter polymorphism predicts therapeutic response to TNF-α blockers,” Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 134–142, 2012.
- A. Bohan and J. B. Peter, “Polymyositis and dermatomyositis I,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 292, no. 7, pp. 344–347, 1975.
- A. Bohan and J. B. Peter, “Polymyositis and dermatomyositis II,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 292, no. 8, pp. 403–407, 1975.
- I. N. Targoff, F. W. Miller, T. A. Medsger Jr., and C. V. Oddis, “Classification criteria for the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 527–535, 1997.
- M. Libra, S. S. Signorelli, Y. Bevelacqua et al., “Analysis of G(−174)C IL-6 polymorphism and plasma concentrations of inflammatory markers in patients with type 2 diabetes and peripheral arterial disease,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 211–215, 2006.
- E. Hamdy, R. A. Afify, A. Kamal, D. Abass, and M. Mahmoud, “IL-6 promoter polymorphism (−174G/C) and systemic lupus erythematosus,” Comperative Clinical Pathology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 975–979, 2012.
- K. H. Chua, B. P. Kee, S. Y. Tan, and L. H. Lian, “Interleukin-6 promoter polymorphisms (−174G/C) in Malaysian patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 551–555, 2009.
- H. Schotte, B. Schlüter, S. Rust, G. Assmann, W. Domschke, and M. Gaubitz, “Interleukin-6 promoter polymorphism (−174G/C) in Caucasian German patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 393–400, 2001.
- M. J. Santos, D. Fernandes, S. Capela, J. C. da Silva, and J. E. Fonseca, “Interleukin-6 promoter polymorphism −174G/C is associated with nephritis in Portuguese Caucasian systemic lupus erythematosus patients,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 409–413, 2011.
- C.-M. Huang, A.-P. Huo, C.-H. Tsai, C.-L. Chen, and F.-J. Tsai, “Lack of association of interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 255–259, 2006.
- S. A. Borinskaya, A. S. Gureev, A. A. Orlova, et al., “Allele frequency distributions of −174G/C polymorphism in regulatory region of interleukin 6 gene (IL6) in Russian and worldwide populations,” Russian Journal of Genetics, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 98–109, 2013.
- Y. H. Lee, H. S. Lee, S. J. Choi, J. D. Ji, and G. G. Song, “The association between interleukin-6 polymorphisms and systemic lupus erythematosus: a meta-analysis,” Lupus, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2012.
- E. M. Godarzi, E. K. Sarvestani, E. Aflaki, and Z. Amirghofran, “Interleukin-6 gene polymorphism in Iranian patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 179–184, 2011.
- L. A. Schaap, S. M. F. Pluijm, D. J. H. Deeg, and M. Visser, “Inflammatory markers and loss of muscle mass (sarcopenia) and strength,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 526.e9–526.e17, 2006.
- F. Haddad, F. Zaldivar, D. M. Cooper, and G. R. Adams, “IL-6-induced skeletal muscle atrophy,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 911–917, 2005.