- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 316430, 6 pages
Factors Affecting Bilirubin Levels during First 48 Hours of Life in Healthy Infants
1Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
2Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Received 19 April 2013; Revised 18 May 2013; Accepted 20 May 2013
Academic Editor: Sohinee Bhattacharya
Copyright © 2013 Betul Siyah Bilgin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. F. Watchko, “Neonatal indirect hyperbilirubinemia and kernicterus,” in Avery's Diseases of the Newborn, C. A. Gleason and S. U. Devaskar, Eds., pp. 1123–1142, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2012.
- M. Kaplan, R. J. Wong, E. Sibley, and D. K. Stevenson, “Neonatal jaundice and liver disease,” in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Diseases of the Fetus and Infant, R. J. Martin, A. A. Fanoroff, and M. C. Walsh, Eds., pp. 1443–1491, Mosby Elsevier, St. Lousis, Mo, USA, 9th edition, 2011.
- AAP Subcommittee on Hyperbilirubinemia, “Management of hyperbilirubinemia in the newborn infant 35 or more weeks of gestation,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 297–316, 2004.
- D. R. Zimmerman, G. Klinger, and P. Merlob, “Early discharge after delivery. A study of safety and risk factors,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 3, pp. 1363–1369, 2003.
- D. de Amici, P. Delmonte, L. Martinotti et al., “Can anesthesiologic strategies for caesarean section influence newborn jaundice? A retrospective and prospective study,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 97–102, 2001.
- L. M. S. Dubowitz, V. Dubowitz, and C. Goldberg, “Clinical assessment of gestational age in the newborn infant,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1970.
- L. O. Lubchenco, C. Hansman, M. Dressler, and E. Boyd, “Intrauterine growth as estimated from liveborn birth-weight data at 24 to 42 weeks of gestation,” Pediatrics, vol. 32, pp. 793–800, 1963.
- M. F. MacDorman, F. Menacker, and E. Declercq, “Cesarean birth in the United States: epidemiology, trends, and outcomes,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 293–307, 2008.
- V. K. Bhutani, L. Johnson, and E. M. Sivieri, “Predictive ability of a predischarge hour-specific serum bilirubin for subsequent significant hyperbilirubinemia in healthy term and near-term newborns,” Pediatrics, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 6–14, 1999.
- E. K. Hutton and E. S. Hassan, “Late versus early clamping of the umbilical cord in full-term neonates: systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 11, pp. 1241–1252, 2007.
- W. Phuapradit, K. Chaturachinda, and S. Auntlamai, “Risk factors for neonatal hyperbilirubinemia,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 424–428, 1993.
- A. Bulbul, F. Okan, S. Uslu, E. Isci, and A. Nuhoglu, “Clinical characteristics of term newborns with hiperbilirubinemia and identification of the risk factors for hiperbilirubinemia,” Turkish Archieves of Pediatrics, vol. 40, pp. 204–210, 2005 (Turkish).
- S. Alkan, Ü. Tiraş, Y. Dallar, and D. Sunay, “Effect of anaesthetic agents administered to the mothers on transcutaneous bilirubin levels in the neonates,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 993–996, 2010.
- R. Gale, D. S. Seidman, S. Dollberg, and D. K. Stevenson, “Epidemiology of neonatal jaundice in the Jerusalem population,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 82–86, 1990.
- Y. Yamauchi and I. Yamanouchi, “Difference in TcB readings between full term newborn infants born vaginally and by cesarean section,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 824–828, 1989.
- H. T. Ozcakir, S. Lacin, Y. B. Baytur, N. Lüleci, and U. S. Inceboz, “Different anesthesiologic strategies have no effect on neonatal jaundice,” Archives of gynecology and obstetrics, vol. 270, no. 3, pp. 179–181, 2004.
- R. Jouppila, L. Larva, P. Jouppila, M. Koivisto, and A. Pakarinen, “Effect of segmental epidural analgesia on neonatal serum bilirubin concentration and incidence of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 179–182, 1983.
- D. A. Clark and S. A. Landaw, “Bupivacaine alters red blood cell properties: a possible explanation for neonatal jaundice associated with maternal anesthesia,” Pediatric Research, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 341–343, 1985.
- N. Ameh and E. A. Ameh, “Timing of passage of first meconium and stooling pattern in normal Nigerian newborns,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 129–133, 2009.
- R. Doodnath and P. Puri, “A systematic review and meta-analysis of Hirschsprung's disease presenting after childhood,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1107–1110, 2010.
- D. Burge and M. Drewett, “Meconium plug obstruction,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 108–110, 2004.
- M. Alex and D. P. Gallant, “Toward understanding the connections between infant jaundice and infant feeding,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 429–438, 2008.
- J. Y. Chen, U. P. Ling, and J. H. Chen, “Early meconium evacuation: effect on neonatal hyperbilirubinemia,” The American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 232–234, 1995.
- D. Bader, Y. Yanir, A. Kugelman, M. Wilhelm-Kafil, and A. Riskin, “Induction of early meconium evacuation: is it effective in reducing the level of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia?” The American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 329–333, 2005.
- L. E. Weisman, G. B. Merenstein, M. Digirol, J. Collins, G. Frank, and C. Hudgins, “The effect of early meconium evacuation on early-onset hyperbilirubinemia,” The American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 137, no. 7, pp. 666–668, 1983.
- H. Tateishi, Y. Yamauchi, I. Yamanouchi, and M. T. Khashaba, “Effect of mode of delivery, parity and umbilical blood gas on first meconium passage in full-term healthy neonates,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 66, no. 2-3, pp. 146–149, 1994.
- P. V. Barrett, “Hyperbilirubinemia of fasting,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 217, no. 10, pp. 1349–1353, 1971.
- B. F. Felsher, D. Rickard, and A. G. Redeker, “The reciprocal relation between caloric intake and the degree of hyperbilirubinemia in Gilbert's syndrome,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 283, no. 4, pp. 170–172, 1970.
- U. Gartner, T. Goeser, and A. W. Wolkoff, “Effect of fasting on the uptake of bilirubin and sulfobromophthalein by the isolated perfused rat liver,” Gastroenterology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 1707–1713, 1997.
- S. Ip, M. Chung, J. Kulig et al., “An evidence-based review of important issues concerning neonatal hyperbilirubinemia,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. e130–e153, 2004.
- G. Bertini, C. Dani, M. Tronchin, and F. F. Rubaltelli, “Is breastfeeding really favoring early neonatal jaundice?” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 3, article E41, 2001.
- M. L. Wang, D. J. Dorer, M. P. Fleming, and E. A. Catlin, “Clinical outcomes of near-term infants,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 372–376, 2004.
- T. M. Bird, J. M. Bronstein, R. W. Hall, C. L. Lowery, R. Nugent, and G. P. Mays, “Late preterm infants: birth outcomes and health care utilization in the first year,” Pediatrics, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. e311–e319, 2010.
- A. Leone, P. Ersfeld, M. Adams, P. M. Schiffer, H. U. Bucher, and R. Arlettaz, “Neonatal morbidity in singleton late preterm infants compared with full-term infants,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. e6–e10, 2012.
- M. Kaplan, M. Muraca, H. J. Vreman et al., “Neonatal bilirubin production-conjugation imbalance: effect of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and borderline prematurity,” Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. F123–F127, 2005.
- N. Kawade and S. Onishi, “The prenatal and postnatal development of UDP-glucuronyltransferase activity towards bilirubin and the effect of premature birth on this activity in the human liver,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 196, no. 1, pp. 257–260, 1981.
- J. F. Watchko, “Hyperbilirubinemia and bilirubin toxicity in the late preterm infant,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 839–852, 2006.
- I. O. Ipek, A. Bozaykut, S. C. Çağrıl, and R. G. Sezer, “Does cord blood bilirubin level help the physician in the decision of early postnatal discharge?” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1375–1378, 2012.