- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 316980, 9 pages
Taenia crassiceps Infection Does Not Influence the Development of Experimental Rheumatoid Arthritis
1Unidad de Biomedicina, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), 54090 Tlalnepantla, MEX, Mexico
2Carrera de Medicina, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), 54090 Tlalnepantla, MEX, Mexico
Received 14 August 2012; Accepted 12 October 2012
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2013 Aaxin M. Ortiz-Flores et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. E. Gabriel and K. Michaud, “Epidemiological studies in incidence, prevalence, mortality, and comorbidity of the rheumatic diseases,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 11, no. 3, article 229, 2009.
- G. S. Firestein, “Evolving concepts of rheumatoid arthritis,” Nature, vol. 423, no. 6937, pp. 356–361, 2003.
- F. M. Brennan and I. B. McInnes, “Evidence that cytokines play a role in rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 3537–3545, 2008.
- A. K. Andersson, C. Li, and F. M. Brennan, “Recent developments in the immunobiology of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 10, no. 2, article 204, 2008.
- C. M. Weyand, “New insights into the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 39, no. 1, supplement, pp. 3–8, 2000.
- J. P. Van Hamburg, P. S. Asmawidjaja, N. Davelaar et al., “Th17 cells, but not Th1 cells, from patients with early rheumatoid arthritis are potent inducers of matrix metalloproteinases and proinflammatory cytokines upon synovial fibroblast interaction, including autocrine interleukin-17A production,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 2011.
- P. Maffia, J. M. Brewer, J. A. Gracie et al., “Inducing experimental arthritis and breaking self-tolerance to joint-specific antigens with trackable, ovalbumin-specific T cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 151–156, 2004.
- D. P. Strachan, “Hay fever, hygiene, and household size,” British Medical Journal, vol. 299, no. 6710, pp. 1259–1260, 1989.
- P. Zaccone, O. T. Burton, and A. Cooke, “Interplay of parasite-driven immune responses and autoimmunity,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2008.
- D. M. McKay, “The therapeutic helminth?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 109–114, 2009.
- A. Espinoza-Jiménez, I. Rivera-Montoya, R. Cárdenas-Arreola, L. Morán, and L. I. Terrazas, “Taenia crassiceps infection attenuates multiple low-dose streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Journal of Biomedicine & Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 850541, 11 pages, 2010.
- J. L. Reyes, A. F. Espinoza-Jiménez, M. I. González, L. Verdin, and L. I. Terrazas, “Taenia crassiceps infection abrogates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis,” Cellular Immunology, vol. 267, no. 2, pp. 77–87, 2011.
- R. M. Maizels, E. J. Pearce, D. Artis, M. Yazdanbakhsh, and T. A. Wynn, “Regulation of pathogenesis and immunity in helminth infections,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 206, no. 10, pp. 2059–2066, 2009.
- L. I. Terrazas, D. Montero, C. A. Terrazas, J. L. Reyes, and M. Rodríguez-Sosa, “Role of the programmed death-1 pathway in the suppressive activity of alternatively activated macrophages in experimental cysticercosis,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 35, no. 13, pp. 1349–1358, 2005.
- Y. Osada and T. Kanazawa, “Parasitic helminths: new weapons against immunological disorders,” Journal of Biomedicine & Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 743758, 9 pages, 2010.
- D. L. Asquith, A. L. Miller, I. B. McInnes, and F. Y. Liew, “Autoimmune disease: rheumatoid arthritis,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 39, pp. 1991–2058, 2009.
- X. Song, J. Shen, H. Wen et al., “Impact of Schistosoma japonicum infection on collagen-induced arthritis in DBA/1 mice: a murine model of human rheumatoid arthritis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 8, Article ID e23453, 2011.
- Y. He, J. Li, W. Zhuang et al., “The inhibitory effect against collagen-induced arthritis by Schistosoma japonicum infection is infection stage-dependent,” BMC Immunology, vol. 11, article 28, 2010.
- M. C. Salinas-Carmona, G. de la Cruz-Galicia, I. Pérez-Rivera et al., “Spontaneous arthritis in MRL/lpr mice is aggravated by Staphylococcus aureus and ameliorated by Nippostrongylus brasiliensis infections,” Autoimmunity, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2009.
- A. Wang, M. Fernando, G. Leung, V. Phan, D. Smyth, and D. M. McKay, “Exacerbation of oxazolone colitis by infection with the helminth Hymenolepis diminuta: involvement of IL-5 and eosinophils,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 177, no. 6, pp. 2850–2859, 2010.
- D. M. McKay and J. L. Wallace, “Acetic acid induced ulceration in rats is not affected by infection with hymenolepis diminuta,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 481–482, 2009.
- M. M. Hunter, A. Wang, K. S. Parhar et al., “In vitro-derived alternatively activated macrophages reduce colonic inflammation in mice,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 1395–1405, 2010.
- F. Chiuso-Minicucci, D. B. Van, S. F. G. Zorzella-Pezavento et al., “Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis evolution was not modified by multiple infections with Strongyloides venezuelensis,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 303–308, 2011.