- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 318981, 9 pages
DHA Inhibits Protein Degradation More Efficiently than EPA by Regulating the PPARγ/NFκB Pathway in C2C12 Myotubes
Department of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, College of Animal Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
Received 9 May 2013; Accepted 29 June 2013
Academic Editor: Gabriel F. Anhe
Copyright © 2013 Yue Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Li, S. Malhotra, and A. Kumar, “Nuclear factor-kappa B signaling in skeletal muscle atrophy,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 1113–1126, 2008.
- S. Schreiber, S. Nikolaus, and J. Hampe, “Activation of nuclear factor κB inflammatory bowel disease,” Gut, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 477–484, 1998.
- M. Jové, A. Planavila, J. C. Laguna, and M. Vázquez-Carrera, “Palmitate-induced interleukin 6 production is mediated by protein kinase C and nuclear-factor B activation and leads to glucose transporter 4 down-regulation in skeletal muscle cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 146, no. 7, pp. 3087–3095, 2005.
- S. Chung, J. M. Brown, J. N. Provo, R. Hopkins, and M. K. McIntosh, “Conjugated linoleic acid promotes human adipocyte insulin resistance through NFκB-dependent cytokine production,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 46, pp. 38445–38456, 2005.
- Y.-P. Li, R. J. Schwartz, I. D. Waddell, B. R. Holloway, and M. B. Reid, “Skeletal muscle myocytes undergo protein loss and reactive oxygen- mediated NF-κB activation in response to tumor necrosis factor α,” FASEB Journal, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 871–880, 1998.
- K. J. Tracey, H. Wei, K. R. Manogue et al., “Cachectin/tumor necrosis factor induces cachexia, anemia, and inflammation,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 1211–1227, 1988.
- M. B. Reid, “Response of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway to changes in muscle activity,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 6, pp. R1423–R1431, 2005.
- E. Castillero, A. I. Martín, M. López-Menduiña, M. A. Villanْa, and A. López-Calderón, “Eicosapentaenoic acid attenuates arthritis-induced muscle wasting acting on atrogin-1 and on myogenic regulatory factors,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 297, no. 5, pp. R1331–R1322, 2009.
- P. P. H. Hommelberg, J. Plat, R. C. J. Langen, A. M. W. J. Schols, and R. P. Mensink, “Fatty acid-induced NF-κB activation and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle are chain length dependent,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 296, no. 1, pp. E114–E120, 2009.
- M. J. Tisdale, “Inhibition of lipolysis and muscle protein degradation by EPA in cancer cachexia,” Nutrition, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. S31–S33, 1996.
- A. S. Whitehouse, H. J. Smith, J. L. Drake, and M. J. Tisdale, “Mechanism of attenuation of skeletal muscle protein catabolism in cancer cachexia by eicosapentaenoic acid,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 3604–3609, 2001.
- H. J. Smith, N. A. Greenberg, and M. J. Tisdale, “Effect of eicosapentaenoic acid, protein and amino acids on protein synthesis and degradation in skeletal muscle of cachectic mice,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 408–412, 2004.
- F. Huang, H. Wei, H. Luo, S. Jiang, and J. Peng, “EPA inhibits the inhibitor of κBa (IκBa)/NF-κB/muscle RING finger 1 pathway in C2C12 myotubes in a PPARγ-dependent manner,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 348–356, 2011.
- Y. K. Kim, S. C. Hyun, H. J. Won, S. K. Sung, and G. C. Hyae, “Phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted on chromosome 10 suppression is an important process in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-β signaling in adipocytes and myotubes,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1554–1562, 2007.
- J. A. Chavez, T. A. Knotts, L.-P. Wang et al., “A role for ceramide, but not diacylglycerol, in the antagonism of insulin signal transduction by saturated fatty acids,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 12, pp. 10297–10303, 2003.
- M. M. Desler, S. J. Jones, C. W. Smith, and T. L. Woods, “Effects of dexamethasone and anabolic agents on proliferation and protein synthesis and degradation in C2C12 myogenic cells,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 1265–1273, 1996.
- N. C. Andrews and D. V. Faller, “A rapid micropreparation technique for extraction of DNA-binding proteins from limiting numbers of mammalian cells,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 19, no. 9, p. 2499, 1991.
- T. Babcock, W. S. Helton, and N. J. Espat, “Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): an antiinflammatory ω-3 fat with potential clinical applications,” Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 11-12, pp. 1116–1118, 2000.
- C.-J. Lo, K. C. Chiu, M. Fu, R. Lo, and S. Helton, “Fish oil decreases macrophage tumor necrosis factor gene transcription by altering the NFκB activity,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 216–221, 1999.
- Z. Gao, Q. He, B. Peng, P. J. Chiao, and J. Ye, “Regulation of nuclear translocation of HDAC3 by IκBα is required for tumor necrosis factor inhibition of peroxisome proliferator- activated receptor γ function,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 7, pp. 4540–4547, 2006.
- A. H. V. Remels, R. C. J. Langen, H. R. Gosker et al., “PPARγ inhibits NF-κB-dependent transcriptional activation in skeletal muscle,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 297, no. 1, pp. E174–E183, 2009.
- H. Li, X. Z. Ruan, S. H. Powis et al., “EPA and DHA reduce LPS-induced inflammation responses in HK-2 cells: evidence for a PPAR-γ-dependent mechanism,” Kidney International, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 867–874, 2005.