- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 319047, 11 pages
Analysis of the Anticancer Phytochemicals in Andrographis paniculata Nees. under Salinity Stress
1Medicinal Plant Research Center, Shahed University, Tehran 33191 18651, Iran
2Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
4Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, International Medical University, Bukit Jalil, 57000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 11 July 2013; Accepted 14 October 2013
Academic Editor: Andrei Surguchov
Copyright © 2013 Daryush Talei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Kong-Ngern, S. Daduang, C. H. Wongkham, S. Bunnag, M. Kosittrakun, and P. Theerakulpisut, “Protein profiles in response to salt stress in leaf sheaths of rice seedlings,” ScienceAsia, vol. 31, pp. 403–408, 2005.
- M. M. Chaves, J. Flexas, and C. Pinheiro, “Photosynthesis under drought and salt stress: regulation mechanisms from whole plant to cell,” Annals of Botany, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 551–560, 2009.
- D. W. Lawlor and W. Tezara, “Causes of decreased photosynthetic rate and metabolic capacity in water-deficient leaf cells: a critical evaluation of mechanisms and integration of processes,” Annals of Botany, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 561–579, 2009.
- D. H. Sanchez, F. Lippold, H. Redestig et al., “Integrative functional genomics of salt acclimatization in the model legume Lotus japonicus,” Plant Journal, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 973–987, 2008.
- D. Selmar, “Potential of salt and drought stress to increase pharmaceutical significant secondary compounds in plants,” Landbauforschung Volkenrode, vol. 58, no. 1-2, pp. 139–144, 2008.
- C. A. Jaleel, B. Sankar, R. Sridharan, and R. Panneerselvam, “Soil salinity alters growth, chlorophyll content, and secondary metabolite accumulation in Catharanthus roseus,” Turkish Journal of Biology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 79–83, 2008.
- G. R. Cramer, A. Ergül, J. Grimplet et al., “Water and salinity stress in grapevines: early and late changes in transcript and metabolite profiles,” Functional and Integrative Genomics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 111–134, 2007.
- D. Gagneul, A. Aïnouche, C. Duhazé, R. Lugan, F. R. Larher, and A. Bouchereau, “A reassessment of the function of the so-called compatible solutes in the halophytic plumbaginaceae Limonium latifolium,” Plant Physiology, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 1598–1611, 2007.
- D. H. Sanchez, M. R. Siahpoosh, U. Roessner, M. Udvardi, and J. Kopka, “Plant metabolomics reveals conserved and divergent metabolic responses to salinity,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 209–219, 2008.
- W. Wu, Q. Zhang, Y. Zhu, H. Lam, Z. Cai, and D. Guo, “Comparative metabolic profiling reveals secondary metabolites correlated with soybean salt tolerance,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 23, pp. 11132–11138, 2008.
- R. Verpoorte, R. Van Der Hejden, H. J. G. Ten Hoopen, and J. Memelink, “Metabolic engineering of plant secondary metabolite pathways for the production of fine chemicals,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 467–479, 1999.
- A. Wahid and A. Ghazanfar, “Possible involvement of some secondary metabolites in salt tolerance of sugarcane,” Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 163, no. 7, pp. 723–730, 2006.
- S. Chutipaijit, S. Cha-Um, and K. Sompornpailin, “Differential accumulations of proline and flavonoids in indica rice varieties against salinity,” Pakistan Journal of Botany, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 2497–2506, 2009.
- C. Olano, F. Lombó, C. Méndez, and J. A. Salas, “Improving production of bioactive secondary metabolites in actinomycetes by metabolic engineering,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 281–292, 2008.
- Y. Yan and Z. Wang, “Genetic transformation of the medicinal plant Salvia miltiorrhiza by Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated method,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 175–184, 2007.
- P. Siripong, B. Kongkathip, K. Preechanukool, P. Picha, K. Tunsuwan, and W. C. Taylor, “Cytotoxic diterpenoid constituents from Andrographis paniculata Nees leaves,” Journal of The Science Society of Thailand, vol. 18, pp. 187–194, 1992.
- A. Valdiani, M. A. Kadir, S. G. Tan, D. Talei, M. P. Abdullah, and S. Nikzad, “Nain-e Havandi Andrographis paniculata present yesterday, absent today: a plenary review on underutilized herb of Iran's pharmaceutical plants,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 39, pp. 5409–5424, 2012.
- M. Rajani, N. Shrivastava, and M. N. Ravishankara, “A rapid method for isolation of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata Nees (Kalmegh),” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 204–209, 2000.
- A. Basak, U. K. Banik, S. Basak, N. G. Seiah, and S. Li, “Evaluation of anti-proprotein convertase activity of diterpene andrographolid derived products,” in Regulation of Carcinogenesis, Angiogenesis and Metastasis by the Proprotein Convertases (PCs): A New Potential Strategy in Cancer Therapy, pp. 137–154, Springer, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- H. Ko, B. Wei, and W. Chiou, “The effect of medicinal plants used in Chinese folk medicine on RANTES secretion by virus-infected human epithelial cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 205–210, 2006.
- J. Y. Chun, R. Tummala, N. Nadiminty et al., “Andrographolide, an herbal medicine, inhibits interleukin-6 expression and suppresses prostate cancer cell growth,” Genes and Cancer, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 868–876, 2010.
- D. Pekthong, N. Blanchard, C. Abadie et al., “Effects of Andrographis paniculata extract and Andrographolide on hepatic cytochrome P450 mRNA expression and monooxygenase activities after in vivo administration to rats and in vitro in rat and human hepatocyte cultures,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 179, no. 2-3, pp. 247–255, 2009.
- W. Chao, Y. Kuo, and B. I.-F. Lin, “Anti-inflammatory activity of new compounds from Andrographis paniculata by nf-κb transactivation inhibition,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 2505–2512, 2010.
- S. Gupta, J. N. S. Yadava, and J. S. Tandon, “Antisecretory (antidiarrhoeal) activity of Indian medicinal plants against Escherichia coli enterotoxin-induced secretion in rabbit and guinea pig ileal loop models,” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 198–204, 1993.
- K. S. Mc-Whirter, “Breeding of cross pollinated crops,” in Plant Breeding, R. Knight, Ed., pp. 79–121, Australian Vicechancellors’ Committee, 1979.
- D. Talei, A. K. Mihdzar, M. Y. Khanif, A. Valdiani, and M. A. Puad, “Response of King of Bitters (Andrographis paniculata Nees.) seedlings to salinity stress beyond the salt tolerance threshold,” Australian Journal of Crop Science, vol. 6, pp. 1059–1067, 2012.
- L. Cisneros-Zevallos, “The use of controlled postharvest abiotic stresses as a tool for enhancing the nutraceutical content and adding-value of fresh fruits and vegetables,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1560–1565, 2003.
- R. Desingh and G. Kanagaraj, “Influence of salinity stress on photosynthesis and antioxidative systems in two cotton varieties,” General and Applied Plant Physiology, vol. 33, pp. 221–234, 2007.
- H. Koca, M. Bor, F. Özdemir, and I. Türkan, “The effect of salt stress on lipid peroxidation, antioxidative enzymes and proline content of sesame cultivars,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 344–351, 2007.
- H. Hichem, D. Mounir, and E. A. Naceur, “Differential responses of two maize (Zea mays L.) varieties to salt stress: changes on polyphenols composition of foliage and oxidative damages,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 144–151, 2009.
- R. M. Ali and H. M. Abbas, “Response of salt stressed barley seedlings to phenylurea,” Plant, Soil and Environment, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 158–162, 2003.
- I. Bettaieb Rebey, I. Jabri-Karoui, I. Hamrouni-Sellami, S. Bourgou, F. Limam, and B. Marzouk, “Effect of drought on the biochemical composition and antioxidant activities of cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) seeds,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 238–245, 2012.
- N. Karray-Bouraoui, M. Rabhi, M. Neffati et al., “Salt effect on yield and composition of shoot essential oil and trichome morphology and density on leaves of Mentha pulegium,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 338–343, 2009.
- A. A. Mohamed and A. A. Aly, “Alterations of some secondary metabolites and enzymes activity by using exogenous antioxidant compound in onion plants grown under seawater salt stress,” American-Eurasian Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 3, pp. 139–146, 2008.
- P. D. Hare, W. A. Cress, and J. van Staden, “Dissecting the roles of osmolyte accumulation during stress,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 535–553, 1998.
- I. Rajpar, Y. M. Khanif, Z. Zia-Ul-Hassan, A. N. Shah, M. Arshad, and S. Galani, “Growth, herb yield and phytochemical contents in a medicinal herb Andrographis paniculata under saline irrigation,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 5, no. 23, pp. 5528–5533, 2011.
- D. Talei, A. K. Mihdzar, M. Y. Khanif, M. S. Saad, A. R. Valdiani, and M. A. Puad, “Salinity effects on macro and micronutrients uptake in medicinal plant of Andrographis paniculata,” Plant Omics Journal, vol. 5, pp. 271–278, 2012.
- D. Talei, A. Valdiani, M. P. Abdullah, and S. A. Hassan, “A rapid and effective method for dormancy breakage and germination of King of Bitters (Andrographis paniculata Nees.) seeds,” Maydica, vol. 57, pp. 98–105, 2012.
- S. K. Mishra, N. S. Sangwan, and R. S. Sangwan, “Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh): a review,” Pharmacognosy Reviews, vol. 1, pp. 283–298, 2007.
- A. Valdiani, A. K. Mihdzar, M. S. Saad, D. Talei, and S. G. Tan, “Intra-specific hybridization: generator of genetic diversification and heterosis in Andrographis paniculata Nees. A bridge from extinction to survival,” Gene, vol. 505, pp. 23–36, 2012.
- A. Valdiani, D. Talei, S. G. Tan et al., “A classical genetic solution to enhance the biosynthesis of anticancer phytochemicals in Andrographis paniculata Nees,” PLoS ONE. In press.
- K. Vijaykumar, P. B. S. Murthy, S. Kannababu, B. Syamasundar, and G. V. Subbaraju, “Estimation of Adrographolide in Andrographis paniculata herb, extracts and dosage forms,” International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering, vol. 5, pp. 27–39, 2007.