- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 321762, 7 pages
Total Marrow Irradiation as Part of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Asian Patients with Multiple Myeloma
1Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, New Taipei City 220, Taiwan
2Department of Nursing, Oriental Institute of Technology, New Taipei City 220, Taiwan
3Department of Biotechnology, School of Healthy Technology, Ming Chuan University, Taipei 111, Taiwan
4Division of Radiation Oncology, Department of Radiology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, No. 21, Section 2, Nanya S. Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei City 220, Taiwan
5School and Graduate Institute of Physical Therapy, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 100, Taiwan
6Physical Therapy Center, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 100, Taiwan
7Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
8Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Received 5 June 2013; Revised 6 August 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Maria F. Chan
Copyright © 2013 Shih-Chiang Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Attal, J. Harousseau, A. Stoppa et al., “A prospective, randomized trial of autologous bone marrow transplantation and chemotherapy in multiple myeloma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 2, pp. 91–97, 1996.
- B. Barlogie, S. Jagannath, D. H. Vesole et al., “Superiority of tandem autologous transplantation over standard therapy for previously untreated multiple myeloma,” Blood, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 789–793, 1997.
- S. Lenhoff, M. Hjorth, E. Holmberg, et al., “Impact on survival of high-dose therapy with autologous stem cell support in patients younger than 60 years with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: a population-based study. Nordic Myeloma Study Group,” Blood, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2000.
- D. Cunningham, L. Paz-Ares, S. Milan et al., “High-dose melphalan and autologous bone marrow transplantation as consolidation in previously untreated myeloma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 759–763, 1994.
- P. Moreau, T. Facon, M. Attal et al., “Comparison of 200 mg/m2 melphalan and 8 Gy total body irradiation plus 140 mg/m2 melphalan as conditioning regimens for peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: final analysis of the Intergroupe Francophone du Myélome 9502 randomized trial,” Blood, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 731–735, 2002.
- O. Thomas, M. Mahé, L. Campion et al., “Long-term complications of total body irradiation in adults,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 125–131, 2001.
- S. Sampath, T. E. Schultheiss, and J. Wong, “Dose response and factors related to interstitial pneumonitis after bone marrow transplant,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 876–884, 2005.
- J. Y. C. Wong, A. Liu, T. Schultheiss et al., “Targeted total marrow irradiation using three-dimensional image-guided tomographic intensity-modulated radiation therapy: an alternative to standard total body irradiation,” Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 306–315, 2006.
- S. K. Hui, M. R. Verneris, P. Higgins et al., “Helical tomotherapy targeting total bone marrow—first clinical experience at the University of Minnesota,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 250–255, 2007.
- P. Shueng, S. Lin, N. Chong et al., “Total marrow irradiation with helical tomotherapy for bone marrow transplantation of multiple myeloma: first experience in Asia,” Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2009.
- J. Y. C. Wong, J. Rosenthal, A. Liu, T. Schultheiss, S. Forman, and G. Somlo, “Image-guided total-marrow irradiation using helical tomotherapy in patients with multiple myeloma and acute leukemia undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 273–279, 2009.
- G. Somlo, R. Spielberger, P. Frankel et al., “Total marrow irradiation: a new ablative regimen as part of tandem autologous stem cell transplantation for patients with multiple myeloma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 174–182, 2011.
- F. Sahebi, R. Spielberger, N. M. Kogut et al., “Maintenance thalidomide following single cycle autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplant in patients with multiple myeloma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 825–829, 2006.
- B. G. M. Durie and S. E. Salmon, “A clinical staging system for multiple myeloma. Correlation of measured myeloma cell mass with presenting clinical features, response to treatment, and survival,” Cancer, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 842–854, 1975.
- T. Facon, J. Harousseau, F. Maloisel et al., “Stem cell factor in combination with filgrastim after chemotherapy improves peripheral blood progenitor cell yield and reduces apheresis requirements in multiple myeloma patients: a randomized, controlled trial,” Blood, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1218–1225, 1999.
- J. J. Lahuerta, J. Martinez-Lopez, C. Grande et al., “Conditioning regimens in autologous stem cell transplantation for multiple myeloma: a comparative study of efficacy and toxicity from the Spanish registry for transplantation in multiple myeloma,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 138–147, 2000.
- B. Shank, F. C. H. Chu, and R. Dinsmore, “Hyperfractionated total body irradiation for bone marrow transplantation. Results in seventy leukemia patients with allogeneic transplants,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1607–1611, 1983.
- S. K. Hui, J. Kapatoes, J. Fowler et al., “Feasibility study of helical tomotherapy for total body or total marrow irradiation,” Medical Physics, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 3214–3224, 2005.
- R. A. Clift, C. D. Buckner, F. R. Appelbaum, et al., “Allogeneic marrow transplantation in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in the chronic phase: a randomized trial of two irradiation regimens,” Blood, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 1660–1665, 1991.
- R. A. Clift, C. D. Buckner, F. R. Appelbaum, K. M. Sullivan, R. Storb, and E. D. Thomas, “Long-term follow-up of a randomized trial of two irradiation regimens for patients receiving allogeneic marrow transplants during first remission of acute myeloid leukemia,” Blood, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 1455–1456, 1998.
- I. M. Ghobrial and A. K. Stewart, “ASH evidence-based guidelines: what is the role of maintenance therapy in the treatment of multiple myeloma?” Hematology/The Education Program of the American Society of Hematology, pp. 587–589, 2009.
- M. Cavo, F. Di Raimondo, E. Zamagni et al., “Short-term thalidomide incorporated into double autologous stem-cell transplantation improves outcomes in comparison with double autotransplantation for multiple myeloma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 30, pp. 5001–5007, 2009.
- T. Hideshima, D. Chauhan, Y. Shima et al., “Thalidomide and its analogs overcome drug resistance of human multiple myeloma cells to conventional therapy,” Blood, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 2943–2950, 2000.
- F. E. Davies, N. Raje, T. Hideshima et al., “Thalidomide and immunomodulatory derivatives augment natural killer cell cytotoxicity in multiple myeloma,” Blood, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 210–216, 2001.
- D. Gupta, S. P. Treon, Y. Shima et al., “Adherence of multiple myeloma cells to bone marrow stromal cells upregulates vascular endothelial growth factor secretion: therapeutic applications,” Leukemia, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1950–1961, 2001.
- M. Attal, J. Harousseau, S. Leyvraz et al., “Maintenance therapy with thalidomide improves survival in patients with multiple myeloma,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 10, pp. 3289–3294, 2006.
- B. Barlogie, G. Tricot, E. Anaissie et al., “Thalidomide and hematopoietic-cell transplantation for multiple myeloma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 10, pp. 1021–1030, 2006.
- B. Barlogie, M. Pineda-Roman, F. van Rhee et al., “Thalidomide arm of total therapy 2 improves complete remission duration and survival in myeloma patients with metaphase cytogenetic abnormalities,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 8, pp. 3115–3121, 2008.
- A. Spencer, H. M. Prince, A. W. Roberts et al., “Consolidation therapy with low-dose thalidomide and prednisolone prolongs the survival of multiple myeloma patients undergoing a single autologous stem-cell transplantation procedure,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1788–1793, 2009.
- B. Barlogie, S. Jagannath, K. R. Desikan et al., “Total therapy with tandem transplants for newly diagnosed multiple myeloma,” Blood, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 1999.
- T. Domenech, E. Gihana, A. Dayan et al., “Haemopoiesis of transplanted patients with autologous marrows assessed by long-term marrow culture,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 488–496, 1994.
- M. Galotto, G. Berisso, L. Delfino et al., “Stromal damage as consequence of high-dose chemo/radiotherapy in bone marrow transplant recipients,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1460–1466, 1999.
- S. A. Bentley, M. E. Brecher, E. Powell, J. S. Serody, J. M. Wiley, and T. C. Shea, “Long-term engraftment failure after marrow ablation and autologous hematopoietic reconstitution: differences between peripheral blood stem cell and bone marrow recipients,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 557–563, 1997.