- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 323491, 5 pages
Incidence and Risk Factors of Early Delirium after Cardiac Surgery
Clinic of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Vilnius University, Siltnamiu 29, 04130 Vilnius, Lithuania
Received 6 April 2013; Revised 11 August 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Matthias Thielmann
Copyright © 2013 Ieva Norkienė et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, APA Press, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1994.
- S. Deiner and J. H. Silverstein, “Postoperative delirium and cognitive dysfunction,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 103, pp. i41–i46, 2009.
- V. Mittal, S. Muralee, D. Williamson et al., “Delirium in the elderly: a comprehensive review,” American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and other Dementias, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 97–109, 2011.
- R. R. Miller III and E. W. Ely, “Delirium and cognitive dysfunction in the intensive care unit,” Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 210–220, 2006.
- A. S. Neto, A. P. Nassar, S. O. Cardoso, et al., “Delirium screening in critically ill patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 40, pp. 1946–1951, 2012.
- J. W. Devlin, J. J. Fong, G. L. Fraser, and R. R. Riker, “Delirium assessment in the critically ill,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 929–940, 2007.
- Z. Zhang, L. Pan, and H. Ni, “Impact of delirium on clinical outcome in critically ill patients: a meta analysis,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 35, pp. 105–111, 2013.
- A. Banerjee, T. D. Girard, and P. Pandharipande, “The complex interplay between delirium, sedation, and early mobility during critical illness: applications in the trauma unit,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 2011.
- D. Zimpfer, M. Czerny, J. Kilo et al., “Cognitive deficit after aortic valve replacement,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 407–412, 2002.
- S. K. Brækken, I. Reinvang, D. Russell, R. Brucher, and J. L. Svennevig, “Association between intraoperative cerebral microembolic signals and postoperative neuropsychological deficit: comparison between patients with cardiac valve replacement and patients with coronary artery bypass grafting,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 573–576, 1998.
- J. A. Hudetz, Z. Iqbal, S. D. Gandhi, K. M. Patterson, A. J. Byrne, and P. S. Pagel, “Postoperative delirium and short-term cognitive dysfunction occur more frequently in patients undergoing valve surgery with or without coronary artery bypass graft surgery compared with coronary artery bypass graft surgery alone: results of a pilot study,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 811–816, 2011.
- N. Bergeron, M.-J. Dubois, M. Dumont, S. Dial, and Y. Skrobik, “Intensive care delirium screening checklist: evaluation of a new screening tool,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 859–864, 2001.
- L. A. Steiner, “Postoperative delirium. Part 1: pathophysiology and risk factors,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 628–636, 2011.
- M. van den Boogaard, P. Pickkers, A. J. Slooter et al., “Development and validation of PRE-DELIRIC (PREdiction of DELIRium in ICu patients) delirium prediction model for intensive care patients: observational multicentre study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 344, article e420, 2012.
- Y. Lin J Chen Z Wang, “Meta-analysis of factors which influence delirium following cardiac surgery,” Journal of Cardiac Surgery, vol. 27, pp. 481–492, 2012.
- A. R. Atti, K. Palmer, S. Volpato, G. Zuliani, B. Winblad, and L. Fratiglioni, “Anaemia increases the risk of dementia in cognitively intact elderly,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 278–284, 2006.
- J. Barr, G. L. Fraser, K. Puntillo, et al., “Clinical practice guidelines for management of pain agitation and delirium in adult patients in intensive care unit,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 41, pp. 278–280, 2013.
- M. Neziraj, N. Sarac Kart, and K. Samuelson, “The intensive care delirium screening checklist: translation and reliability testing in a Swedish ICU,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 819–826, 2011.