- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 324234, 8 pages
Medium-Level Laser in Chronic Tinnitus Treatment
1ENT Department, Regional Hospital, Endach 27, 6330 Kufstein, Austria
2Pradlerstraße 4, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
3University ENT Hospital, Paracelsus Private Medical University, Müllner Hauptstraße 48, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
4University Hospital of Otorhinolaryngology, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstraße 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
5ENT Department, S.D. Asfendiyarov Kazakh National Medical University, Almaty 050012, Kazakhstan
6Department of Medical Statistics, Informatics and Health Economics, Innsbruck Medical University, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Received 12 April 2013; Revised 17 July 2013; Accepted 18 July 2013
Academic Editor: Koji Kawakami
Copyright © 2013 K. Dejakum et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. H. Lockwood, R. J. Salvi, and R. F. Burkard, “Current concepts: tinnitus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 12, pp. 904–910, 2002.
- S. M. Parnes, “Current concepts in the clinical management of patients with tinnitus,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 254, no. 9-10, pp. 406–409, 1997.
- H. P. Zenner and A. Ernst, “Cochlear-motor, transduction and signal-transfer tinnitus: models for three types of cochlear tinnitus,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 249, no. 8, pp. 447–454, 1993.
- J. J. Eggermont, “On the pathophysiology of tinnitus; a review and a peripheral model,” Hearing Research, vol. 48, no. 1-2, pp. 111–123, 1990.
- G. Andersson, M. Fredrikson, L. Lyttkens, C. Hirvelä, T. Furmark, and M. Tillfors, “Regional cerebral blood flow during tinnitus: a PET case study with lidocaine and auditory stimulation,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 120, no. 8, pp. 967–972, 2000.
- A. H. Lockwood, R. J. Salvi, M. L. Coad, M. L. Towsley, D. S. Wack, and B. W. Murphy, “The functional neuroanatomy of tinnitus,” Neurology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 114–120, 1998.
- P. J. Jastreboff and J. W. P. Hazell, “A neurophysiological approach to tinnitus: clinical implications,” British Journal of Audiology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 7–17, 1993.
- P. J. Jastreboff and M. M. Jastreboff, “Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) as a method for treatment of tinnitus and hyperacusis patients,” Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 162–177, 2000.
- C. Zachriat and B. Kröner-Herwig, “Treating chronic tinnitus: comparison of cognitive-behavioural and habituation-based treatments,” Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 187–198, 2004.
- K. Seifert, “Tinnitus from the point of view of an ENT practitioner,” HNO, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 364–368, 2005.
- K. Lamm, H. Lamm, and W. Arnold, “Effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in comparison to conventional or placebo therapy or no treatment in idiopathic sudden hearing loss, acoustic trauma, noise-induced hearing loss and tinnitus. A literature survey,” Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 54, pp. 86–99, 1998.
- T. Kleinjung, P. Eichhammer, B. Langguth et al., “Long-term effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) in patients with chronic tinnitus,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 566–569, 2005.
- G. E. Bryce and M. D. Morrison, “Botulinum toxin treatment of essential palatal myoclonus tinnitus,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 213–216, 1998.
- A. Shulman, A. M. Strashun, and B. A. Goldstein, “GABAA-benzodiazepine-chloride receptor-targeted therapy for tinnitus control: preliminary report,” International Tinnitus Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 30–36, 2002.
- J. Walker, “Relief from chronic pain by low power laser irradiation,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 43, no. 2-3, pp. 339–344, 1983.
- E. Wong, G. Lee, J. Zucherman, and D. T. Mason, “Successful management of female office workers with repetitive stress injury or carpal tunnel syndrome by application of low level laser,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 208–211, 1995.
- U. Warnke, “Der Dioden-Laser,” Deutsches Ärzteblatt, vol. 84, pp. 1824–1826, 1987.
- L. Wilden and D. Dindinger, “Treatment of chronic diseases in the inner ear with low level laser therapy,” Laser Therapy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 209–212, 1996.
- P. Plath and J. Olivier, “Results of combined low-power laser therapy and extracts of Ginkgo biloba in cases of sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus,” Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 49, pp. 101–104, 1995.
- S. Tauber, R. Baumgartner, W. Beyer, and K. Schorn, “Transmeatal cochlear laser (TCL) treatment of cochlear dysfunction: a feasibility study for chronic tinnitus,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 154–161, 2003.
- M. Partheniadis-Stumpf, J. Maurer, and W. Mann, “Softlasertherapie in Kombination mit Tebonin i.v. bei Tinnitus,” Laryngo-Rhino-Otologie, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 28–31, 1993.
- Y. Shiomi, H. Takahashi, I. Honjo, et al., “Efficacy of transmeatal low power laser irradiation on tinnitus: a preliminary report,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 1997.
- H. V. Wedel, L. Calero, M. Walger, S. Hoenen, and D. Rutwalt, “Soft-laser/Ginkgo therapy in chronic tinnitus. A placebo-controlled study,” Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 49, pp. 105–108, 1995.
- H. V. Wedel, U. Strahlmann, and P. Zorowka, “Effektivität verschiedener nichtmedikamentöser Therapiemaßnahmen bei Tinnitus,” Laryngo-Rhino-Otologie, vol. 68, pp. 259–266, 1989.
- F. Mirz, R. Zachariae, C. B. Pedersen et al., “The low-power laser in the treatment of tinnitus,” Clinical Otolaryngology & Allied Sciences, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 346–354, 1999.
- C. M. Siedentopf, A. Ischebeck, I. A. Haala et al., “Neural correlates of transmeatal cochlear laser (TCL) stimulation in healthy human subjects,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 411, no. 3, pp. 189–193, 2007.
- C. F. Ngao, T. Soon Tan, P. Naranyanan, and R. Raman, “The effectiveness of transmeatal low-power laser stimulation in treating tinnitus,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 2013.
- G. Goebel and W. Hiller, “Verhaltensmedizinische Diagnostik bei chronischem Tinnitus mit Hilfe eines Tinnitus-Fragebogens (TF),” Diagnostica, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 1–9, 1994.
- W. Freysinger, S. Bernet, J. Piegger, and M. T. Schindler, Is the Treatment of Tinnitus with Laser Senseful?Annual meeting of the Austrian Society for Medical Physics, 2002.
- L. G. Duckert and T. S. Rees, “Placebo effects in tinnitus management,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 697–699, 1984.
- A. Okhovat, N. Berjis, H. Okhovat, A. Malekpour, and H. Abtahi, “Low-level laser for treatment of tinnitus: a self-controlled clinical trial,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2011.
- R. Teggi, C. Bellini, L. O. Piccioni, F. Palonta, and M. Bussi, “Transmeatal low-level laser therapy for chronic tinnitus with cochlear dysfunction,” Audiology and Neurotology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 115–120, 2009.
- D. Cuda and A. de Caria, “Effectiveness of combined counseling and low-level laser stimulation in the treatment of disturbing chronic tinnitus,” International Tinnitus Journal, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 175–180, 2008.
- A. Gungor, S. Dogru, H. Cincik, E. Erkul, and E. Poyrazoglu, “Effectiveness of transmeatal low power laser irradiation for chronic tinnitus,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 447–451, 2008.
- A. H. Salahaldin, K. Abdulhadi, N. Najjar, and A. Bener, “Low-level laser therapy in patients with complaints of tinnitus: a clinical study,” ISRN Otolaryngology, vol. 2012, Article ID 132060, 5 pages, 2012.