- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 327620, 8 pages
A Two-Tube Multiplex Reverse Transcription PCR Assay for Simultaneous Detection of Sixteen Human Respiratory Virus Types/Subtypes
1Key Laboratory for Medical Virology, Ministry of Health, National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, No. 155, Changbai Road, Changping District, Beijing 102206, China
2National Institute for Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
3Hebei Center for Disease Control and Prevention, No. 241, Qingyuan Street, Yuhua District, Shijiazhuang 050000, China
Received 7 April 2013; Accepted 25 June 2013
Academic Editor: Gregory Tannock
Copyright © 2013 Jin Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. T. Coiras, J. C. Aguilar, M. L. García, I. Casas, and P. Pérez-Breña, “Simultaneous detection of fourteen respiratory viruses in clinical specimens by two multiplex reverse transcription nested-PCR assays,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 484–495, 2004.
- A. S. Fauci, N. A. Touchette, and G. K. Folkers, “Emerging infectious diseases: a 10-year perspective from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 519–525, 2005.
- J. Mahony, S. Chong, F. Merante et al., “Development of a respiratory virus panel test for detection of twenty human respiratory viruses by use of multiplex PCR and a fluid microbead-based assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 2965–2970, 2007.
- F. G. Hayden, A. D. M. E. Osterhaus, J. J. Treanor et al., “Efficacy and safety of the neuraminidase inhibitor zanamivir in the treatment of influenzavirus infections,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 13, pp. 874–880, 1997.
- P. C. Y. Woo, S. S. Chiu, W. Seto, and M. Peiris, “Cost-effectiveness of rapid diagnosis of viral respiratory tract infections in pediatric patients,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1579–1581, 1997.
- J. Barenfanger, C. Drake, N. Leon, T. Mueller, and T. Troutt, “Clinical and financial benefits of rapid detection of respiratory viruses: an outcomes study,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 2824–2828, 2000.
- K. J. Henrickson, D. M. E. Osterhaus, and J. A. McCullers, “Advances in the laboratory diagnosis of viral respiratory disease,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. S6–S10, 2004.
- G. A. Storch, “Diagnostic virology,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 739–751, 2000.
- F. Raymond, J. Carbonneau, N. Boucher, et al., “Comparison of automated microarray detection with real-time PCR assays for detection of respiratory viruses in specimens obtained from children,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, pp. 743–750, 2009.
- N. Krunic, T. D. Yager, D. Himsworth, F. Merante, S. Yaghoubian, and R. Janeczko, “xTAG™ RVP assay: analytical and clinical performance,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 40, supplement 1, pp. S39–S46, 2007.
- K. Pabbaraju, K. L. Tokaryk, S. Wong, and J. D. Fox, “Comparison of the luminex xTAG respiratory viral panel with in-house nucleic acid amplification tests for diagnosis of respiratory virus infections,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 3056–3062, 2008.
- F. S. Nolte, D. J. Marshall, C. Rasberry et al., “MultiCode-PLx system for multiplexed detection of seventeen respiratory viruses,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 2779–2786, 2007.
- H. Li, M. A. McCormac, R. W. Estes et al., “Simultaneous detection and high-throughput identification of a panel of RNA viruses causing respiratory tract infections,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 2105–2109, 2007.
- M. Qin, D. Wang, F. Huang et al., “Detection of pandemic influenza A H1N1 virus by multiplex reverse transcription-PCR with a GeXP analyzer,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 255–258, 2010.
- X. Hu, Y. Zhang, X. Zhou et al., “Simultaneously typing nine serotypes of enteroviruses associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease by a GeXP analyzer-based multiplex reverse transcription-PCR assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 288–293, 2012.
- J. Li, N. Y. Mao, C. Zhang, et al., “The development of a GeXP-based multiplex reverse transcription-PCR assay for simultaneous detection of sixteen human respiratory virus types/subtypes,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, article 189, 2012.
- T. Tabone, D. E. Mather, and M. J. Hayden, “Temperature Switch PCR (TSP): robust assay design for reliable amplification and genotyping of SNPs,” BMC Genomics, vol. 10, article 580, 2009.
- Z. Xu, W. Cheng, B. Li, J. Li, B. Lan, and Z. Duan, “Development of a real-time PCR assay for detecting and quantifying human bocavirus 2,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1537–1541, 2011.
- L. J. Cui, C. Zhang, T. Zhang, et al., “Human coronaviruses HCoV-NL63 and HCoV-HKU1 in hospitalized children with acute respiratory infections in Beijing, China,” Adv Virol, vol. 2011, Article ID 129134, 6 pages, 2011.
- F. Merante, S. Yaghoubian, and R. Janeczko, “Principles of the xTAG™ respiratory viral panel assay (RVP Assay),” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 40, supplement 1, pp. S31–S35, 2007.
- D. F. Bibby, I. Mcelarney, J. Breuer, and D. A. Clark, “Comparative evaluation of the seegene seeplex RV15 and real-time PCR for respiratory virus detection,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1469–1475, 2011.
- L. E. S. Bruijnesteijn van Coppenraet, C. M. A. Swanink, A. A. van Zwet et al., “Comparison of two commercial molecular assays for simultaneous detection of respiratory viruses in clinical samples using two automatic electrophoresis detection systems,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 188–192, 2010.
- H. K. Kim, S. H. Oh, K. A. Yun, H. Sung, and M. N. Kim, “Comparison of anyplex II RV16 with xTAG respiratory viral panel and seeplex RV15 for the detection of respiratory viruses,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1137–1141, 2013.
- L. Bonzel, T. Tenenbaum, H. Schroten, O. Schildgen, S. Schweitzer-Krantz, and O. Adams, “Frequent detection of viral coinfection in children hospitalized with acute respiratory tract infection using a real-time polymerase chain reaction,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 589–594, 2008.
- G. Cilla, E. Oñate, E. G. Perez-Yarza, M. Montes, D. Vicente, and E. Perez-Trallero, “Viruses in community-acquired pneumonia in children aged less than 3 years old: high rate of viral coinfection,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1843–1849, 2008.
- N. J. Gadsby, A. Hardie, E. C. J. Claas, and K. E. Templeton, “Comparison of the Luminex respiratory virus panel fast assay with in-house real-time PCR for respiratory viral infection diagnosis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 2213–2216, 2010.
- C. Calvo, M. L. García-García, C. Blanco et al., “Multiple simultaneous viral infections in infants with acute respiratory tract infections in Spain,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 268–272, 2008.
- R. Brittain-Long, J. Westin, S. Olofsson, M. Lindh, and L. Andersson, “Prospective evaluation of a novel multiplex real-time PCR assay for detection of fifteen respiratory pathogens-Duration of symptoms significantly affects detection rate,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 263–267, 2010.
- K. H. Rand, H. Rampersaud, and H. J. Houck, “Comparison of two multiplex methods for detection of respiratory viruses: filmarray RP and xTAG RVP,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 2449–2453, 2011.