- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 328934, 11 pages
Toxicity of Silver Nanoparticles at the Air-Liquid Interface
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, 411 Durham Hall (0246), Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Received 8 August 2012; Revised 10 October 2012; Accepted 14 November 2012
Academic Editor: Ernesto Alfaro-Moreno
Copyright © 2013 Amara L. Holder and Linsey C. Marr. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Yeganeh, C. M. Kull, M. S. Hull, and L. C. Marr, “Characterization of airborne particles during production of carbonaceous nanomaterials,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 4600–4606, 2008.
- M. Sahu and P. Biswas, “Size distributions of aerosols in an indoor environment with engineered nanoparticle synthesis reactors operating under different scenarios,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 1055–1064, 2010.
- J. Park, B. K. Kwak, E. Bae et al., “Characterization of exposure to silver nanoparticles in a manufacturing facility,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1705–1712, 2009.
- J. Wang, C. Asbach, H. Fissan et al., “How can nanobiotechnology oversight advance science and industry: examples from environmental, health, and safety studies of nanoparticles (nano-EHS),” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1373–1387, 2011.
- S. J. Tsai, E. Ada, J. A. Isaacs, and M. J. Ellenbecker, “Airborne nanoparticle exposures associated with the manual handling of nanoalumina and nanosilver in fume hoods,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 147–161, 2009.
- D. R. Johnson, M. M. Methner, A. J. Kennedy, and J. A. Steevens, “Potential for occupational exposure to engineered carbon-based nanomaterials in environmental laboratory studies,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2010.
- S. J. Tsai, A. Ashter, E. Ada, J. L. Mead, C. F. Barry, and M. J. Ellenbecker, “Airborne nanoparticle release associated with the compounding of nanocomposites using nanoalumina as fillers,” Aerosol and Air Quality Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 160–177, 2008.
- M. E. Quadros and L. C. Marr, “Silver nanoparticles and total aerosols emitted by nanotechnology-related consumer spray products,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 45, pp. 10713–10719, 2011.
- A. W. Nørgaard, K. A. Jensen, C. Janfelt, F. R. Lauritsen, P. A. Clausen, and P. Wolkoff, “Release of VOCs and particles during use of nanofilm spray products,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 20, pp. 7824–7830, 2009.
- Y. Nazarenko, H. Zhen, T. Han, P. U. Lioy, and G. Mainelis, “Potential for inhalation exposure to engineered nanoparticles from nanotechnology-based cosmetic powders,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 885–892, 2012.
- H. Hagendorfer, C. Lorenz, R. Kaegi et al., “Size-fractionated characterization and quantification of nanoparticle release rates from a consumer spray product containing engineered nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 2481–2494, 2010.
- S. W. P. Wijnhoven, W. J. G. M. Peijnenburg, C. A. Herberts et al., “Nano-silver - A review of available data and knowledge gaps in human and environmental risk assessment,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 109–138, 2009.
- M. E. Quadros and L. C. Marr, “Environmental and human health risks of aerosolized silver nanoparticles,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 770–781, 2010.
- S. Takenaka, E. Karg, C. Roth et al., “Pulmonary and systemic distribution of inhaled ultrafine silver particles in rats,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 547–551, 2001.
- J. H. Ji, J. H. Jung, S. S. Kim et al., “Twenty-eight-day inhalation toxicity study of silver nanoparticles in Sprague-Dawley rats,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 857–871, 2007.
- L. V. Stebounova, A. Adamcakova-Dodd, J. S. Kim et al., “Nanosilver induces minimal lung toxicity or inflammation in a subacute murine inhalation model,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 8, no. 1, article 5, 2011.
- J. H. Sung, J. H. Ji, J. D. Park et al., “Subchronic inhalation toxicity of silver nanoparticles,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 452–461, 2009.
- J. H. Sung, J. H. Ji, J. U. Yoon et al., “Lung function changes in Sprague-Dawley rats after prolonged inhalation exposure to silver nanoparticles,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 567–574, 2008.
- A. M. Schrand, M. F. Rahman, S. M. Hussain, J. J. Schlager, D. A. Smith, and A. F. Syed, “Metal-based nanoparticles and their toxicity assessment,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 544–568, 2010.
- R. Foldbjerg, P. Olesen, M. Hougaard, D. A. Dang, H. J. Hoffmann, and H. Autrup, “PVP-coated silver nanoparticles and silver ions induce reactive oxygen species, apoptosis and necrosis in THP-1 monocytes,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 156–162, 2009.
- S. Arora, J. Jain, J. M. Rajwade, and K. M. Paknikar, “Cellular responses induced by silver nanoparticles: in vitro studies,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 93–100, 2008.
- J. Park, D. H. Lim, H. J. Lim et al., “Size dependent macrophage responses and toxicological effects of Ag nanoparticles,” Chemical Communications, vol. 47, no. 15, pp. 4382–4384, 2011.
- W. Liu, Y. Wu, C. Wang et al., “Impact of silver nanoparticles on human cells: effect of particle size,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 319–330, 2010.
- C. Carlson, S. M. Hussein, A. M. Schrand et al., “Unique cellular interaction of silver nanoparticles: size-dependent generation of reactive oxygen species,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 112, no. 43, pp. 13608–13619, 2008.
- J. H. Ji, J. H. Jung, I. J. Yu, and S. S. Kim, “Long-term stability characteristics of metal nanoparticle generator using small ceramic heater for inhalation toxicity studies,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 745–751, 2007.
- C. N. Lok, C. M. Ho, R. Chen et al., “Silver nanoparticles: partial oxidation and antibacterial activities,” Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 527–534, 2007.
- S. Kittler, C. Greulich, J. Diendorf, M. Köller, and M. Epple, “Toxicity of silver nanoparticles increases during storage because of slow dissolution under release of silver ions,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 22, no. 16, pp. 4548–4554, 2010.
- S. Bakand, A. Hayes, and F. Dechsakulthorn, “Nanoparticles: a review of particle toxicology following inhalation exposure,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 125–135, 2012.
- M. Aufderheide, J. W. Knebel, and D. Ritter, “An improved in vitro model for testing the pulmonary toxicity of complex mixtures such as cigarette smoke,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2003.
- A. L. Holder, D. Lucas, R. Goth-Goldstein, and C. P. Koshland, “Inflammatory response of lung cells exposed to whole, filtered, and hydrocarbon denuded diesel exhaust,” Chemosphere, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2007.
- D. J. Cooney and A. J. Hickey, “Cellular response to the deposition of diesel exhaust particle aerosols onto human lung cells grown at the air-liquid interface by inertial impaction,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1953–1965, 2011.
- F. Lestari, A. R. Green, G. Chattopadhyay, and A. J. Hayes, “An alternative method for fire smoke toxicity assessment using human lung cells,” Fire Safety Journal, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 411–429, 2011.
- B. Rothen-Rutishauser, R. N. Grass, F. Blank et al., “Direct combination of nanoparticle fabrication and exposure to lung cell cultures in a closed setup as a method to simulate accidental nanoparticle exposure of humans,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2634–2640, 2009.
- M. D. Cheng, “Effects of nanophase materials (≤20 nm) on biological responses,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health A, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 2691–2705, 2004.
- O. Baber, M. Jang, D. Barber, and K. Powers, “Amorphous silica coatings on magnetic nanoparticles enhance stability and reduce toxicity to in vitro BEAS-2b cells,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 532–543, 2011.
- A. D. Maynard and E. D. Kuempel, “Airborne nanostructured particles and occupational health,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 587–614, 2005.
- E. Bergamaschi, “Occupational exposure to nanomaterials: present knowledge and future development,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 194–201, 2009.
- S. Lu, R. Duffin, C. Poland et al., “Efficacy of simple short-term in vitro assays for predicting the potential of metal oxide nanoparticles to cause pulmonary inflammation,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 241–247, 2009.
- A. Kroll, C. Dierker, C. Rommel et al., “Cytotoxicity screening of 23 engineered nanomaterials using a test matrix of ten cell lines and three different assays,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 8, no. 1, article 9, 2011.
- G. Oberdörster, E. Oberdörster, and J. Oberdörster, “Nanotoxicology: an emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 823–839, 2005.
- J. G. Ayres, P. Borm, F. R. Cassee et al., “Evaluating the toxicity of airborne particulate matter and nanoparticles by measuring oxidative stress potential—a workshop report and consensus statement,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 75–99, 2008.
- A. Gohla, K. Eckert, and H. R. Maurer, “A rapid and sensitive fluorometric screening assay using YO-PRO-1 to quantify tumour cell invasion through Matrigel,” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 451–458, 1996.
- S. G. Mukherjee, N. O'claonadh, A. Casey, and G. Chambers, “Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity study of silver nanoparticle on two mammalian cell lines,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 238–251, 2012.
- A. L. Holder, R. Goth-Goldstein, D. Lucas, and C. P. Koshland, “Particle-induced artifacts in the MTT and LDH viability assays,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1885–1892, 2012.
- X. Han, R. Gelein, N. Corson et al., “Validation of an LDH assay for assessing nanoparticle toxicity,” Toxicology, vol. 287, no. 1–3, pp. 99–104, 2011.
- P. L. Drake and K. J. Hazelwood, “Exposure-related health effects of silver and silver compounds: a review,” Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 575–585, 2005.
- E. J. Park, J. Yi, Y. Kim, K. Choi, and K. Park, “Silver nanoparticles induce cytotoxicity by a Trojan-horse type mechanism,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 872–878, 2010.
- K. Kawata, M. Osawa, and S. Okabe, “In vitro toxicity of silver nanoparticles at noncytotoxic doses to HepG2 human hepatoma cells,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 15, pp. 6046–6051, 2009.
- S. Kim, J. E. Choi, J. Choi et al., “Oxidative stress-dependent toxicity of silver nanoparticles in human hepatoma cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1076–1084, 2009.
- D. H. Lim, J. Jang, S. Kim, T. Kang, K. Lee, and I. H. Choi, “The effects of sub-lethal concentrations of silver nanoparticles on inflammatory and stress genes in human macrophages using cDNA microarray analysis,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 18, pp. 4690–4699, 2012.
- J. G. Teeguarden, P. M. Hinderliter, G. Orr, B. D. Thrall, and J. G. Pounds, “Particokinetics in vitro: dosimetry considerations for in vitro nanoparticle toxicity assessments,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 300–312, 2007.
- J. Volckens, L. Dailey, G. Walters, and R. B. Devlin, “Direct particle-to-cell deposition of coarse ambient particulate matter increases the production of inflammatory mediators from cultured human airway epithelial cells,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 4595–4599, 2009.
- J. P. Stevens, J. Zahardis, M. MacPherson, B. T. Mossman, and G. A. Petrucci, “A new method for quantifiable and controlled dosage of particulate matter for in vitro studies: the electrostatic particulate dosage and exposure system (EPDExS),” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1768–1774, 2008.
- M. Sillanpää, M. D. Geller, H. C. Phuleria, and C. Sioutas, “High collection efficiency electrostatic precipitator for in vitro cell exposure to concentrated ambient particulate matter (PM),” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 335–347, 2008.
- M. Savi, M. Kalberer, D. Lang et al., “A novel exposure system for the efficient and controlled deposition of aerosol particles onto cell cultures,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 5667–5674, 2008.
- N. M. Schaeublin, L. K. Braydich-Stolle, A. M. Schrand et al., “Surface charge of gold nanoparticles mediates mechanism of toxicity,” Nanoscale, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 410–420, 2011.
- E. Bitterle, E. Karg, A. Schroeppel et al., “Dose-controlled exposure of A549 epithelial cells at the air-liquid interface to airborne ultrafine carbonaceous particles,” Chemosphere, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1784–1790, 2006.
- P. Intra and N. Tippayawong, “An overview of unipolar charger developments for nanoparticle charging,” Aerosol and Air Quality Research, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 187–209, 2011.
- S. C. Kim, D. R. Chen, C. Qi et al., “A nanoparticle dispersion method for in vitro and in vivo nanotoxicity study,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 42–51, 2010.