- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 340626, 8 pages
Protective Effect of Fermented Soybean Dried Extracts against TPA-Induced Oxidative Stress in Hairless Mice Skin
1Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Health Sciences Center, Londrina State University (UEL), Avenue Robert Koch 60, 86038350 Londrina, PR, Brazil
2Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirao Preto (USP), Avenue Do Café s/n, 14040903 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
3Department of Pathology, Biological Sciences Center, Londrina State University (UEL), Rodovia Celso Garcia Cid KM380 PR445, Campus Universitário, Caixa Postal 6001, 86051970 Londrina, PR, Brazil
Received 18 April 2013; Revised 3 July 2013; Accepted 17 July 2013
Academic Editor: Ajit S. Narang
Copyright © 2013 Sandra R. Georgetti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. T. M. C. Vicentini, T. R. M. Simi, J. O. del Ciampo et al., “Quercetin in w/o microemulsion: in vitro and in vivo skin penetration and efficacy against UVB-induced skin damages evaluated in vivo,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 948–957, 2008.
- S. Sultana and M. Saleem, “Salix caprea inhibits skin carcinogenesis in murine skin: inhibition of oxidative stress, ornithine decarboxylase activity and DNA synthesis,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 91, no. 2-3, pp. 267–276, 2004.
- T. Guo, L. Wei, J. Sun, C.-L. Hou, and L. Fan, “Antioxidant activities of extract and fractions from Tuber indicum Cooke & Massee,” Food Chemistry, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 1634–1640, 2011.
- B. Halliwell, “Antioxidants in human health and disease,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 16, pp. 33–50, 1996.
- X.-J. Duan, W.-W. Zhang, X.-M. Li, and B.-G. Wang, “Evaluation of antioxidant property of extract and fractions obtained from a red alga, Polysiphonia urceolata,” Food Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2006.
- Y. Qin, X.-N. Jin, and D. Park Heui, “Comparison of antioxidant activities in black soybean preparations fermented with various microorganisms,” Agricultural Sciences in China, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1065–1071, 2010.
- Q. Guo, G. Rimbach, H. Moini, S. Weber, and L. Packer, “ESR and cell culture studies on free radical-scavenging and antioxidant activities of isoflavonoids,” Toxicology, vol. 179, no. 1-2, pp. 171–180, 2002.
- S. Sharma and S. Sultana, “Modulatory effect of soy isoflavones on biochemical alterations mediated by TPA in mouse skin model,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1669–1675, 2004.
- C.-H. Lin, Y.-T. Wei, and C.-C. Chou, “Enhanced antioxidative activity of soybean koji prepared with various filamentous fungi,” Food Microbiology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 628–633, 2006.
- C. H. Lee, L. Yang, J. Z. Xu, S. Y. V. Yeung, Y. Huang, and Z.-Y. Chen, “Relative antioxidant activity of soybean isoflavones and their glycosides,” Food Chemistry, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 735–741, 2005.
- R. O. Couto, E. C. Conceição, L. T. Chaul et al., “Spray-dried rosemary extracts: physicochemical and antioxidant properties,” Food Chemistry, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 99–105, 2012.
- S. R. Georgetti, F. T. M. C. Vicentini, C. Y. Yokoyama, M. F. Borin, A. C. C. Spadaro, and M. J. V. Fonseca, “Enhanced in vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity and mobilization of free phenolic compounds of soybean flour fermented with different β-glucosidase-producing fungi,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 459–466, 2009.
- S. R. Georgetti, R. Casagrande, W. A. Verri Jr., R. F. V. Lopez, and M. J. V. Fonseca, “Evaluation of in vivo efficacy of topical formulations containing soybean extract,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 352, no. 1-2, pp. 189–196, 2008.
- S. Kumazawa, T. Hamasaka, and T. Nakayama, “Antioxidant activity of propolis of various geographic origins,” Food Chemistry, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 329–339, 2004.
- S. R. Georgetti, R. Casagrande, C. R. F. Souza, W. P. Oliveira, and M. J. V. Fonseca, “Spray drying of the soybean extract: effects on chemical properties and antioxidant activity,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1521–1527, 2008.
- M. Saleem, A. Alam, S. Ahmed, M. Iqbal, and S. Sultana, “Tephrosia purpurea ameliorates benzoyl peroxide-induced cutaneous toxicity in mice: diminution of oxidative stress,” Pharmacy and Pharmacology Communications, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 455–461, 1999.
- A. Claiborne, “Catalase activity,” in CRC Handbook of Methods for Oxygen Radical Research, R. A. Greenwald, Ed., pp. 283–284, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1985.
- M. Iqbal, S. D. Sharma, H. Rezazadeh, M. Abdulla, N. Hasan, and M. Athar, “Glutathione metabolizing enzymes and oxidative stress in ferric-nitrilotriacetate (Fe-NTA)-mediated hepatic injury,” Redox Report, vol. 2, pp. 385–392, 1996.
- A. Seo and C. V. Morr, “Improved high-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of phenolic acids and isoflavonoids from soybean protein products,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 530–533, 1984.
- H.-L. Chien, H.-Y. Huang, and C.-C. Chou, “Transformation of isoflavone phytoestrogens during the fermentation of soymilk with lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria,” Food Microbiology, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 772–778, 2006.
- E. L. Senna, P. R. Petrovick, G. G. Ortega, and V. L. Bassani, “Preparation and characterization of spray-dried powders from Achyrocline satureioides (lam.) DC extracts,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 11, pp. 123–127, 1997.
- F. D. Marquele, K. M. Stracieri, M. J. V. Fonseca, and L. A. P. Freitas, “Spray-dried propolis extract. I: physicochemical and antioxidant properties,” Pharmazie, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 325–330, 2006.
- C. R. F. Souza, I. A. Schiavetto, F. C. F. Thomazini, and W. P. Oliveira, “Processing of Rosmarinus officinalis Linne extract on spray and spouted bed dryers,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 2008.
- S. Barnes, “Effect of genistein on in vitro and in vivo models of cancer,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 777s–783s, 1995.
- H. Wei, R. Bowen, X. Zhang, and M. Lebwohl, “Isoflavone genistein inhibits the initiation and promotion of two-stage skin carcinogenesis in mice,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1509–1514, 1998.
- H. Wei, Q. Cai, and R. O. Rahn, “Inhibition of UV light- and Fenton reaction-induced oxidative DNA damage by the soybean isoflavone genistein,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 73–77, 1996.
- H. Wei, X. Zhang, Y. Wang, and M. Lebwohl, “Inhibition of ultraviolet light-induced oxidative events in the skin and internal organs of hairless mice by isoflavone genistein,” Cancer Letters, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 2002.
- S. R. Georgetti, R. Casagrande, F. T. M. C. Vicentini, W. A. Verri Jr., and M. J. V. Fonseca, “Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of soybean extract by different in vitro methods and investigation of this activity after its incorporation in topical formulations,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 99–106, 2006.
- M. C. Nicoli, M. Anese, and M. Parpinel, “Influence of processing on the antioxidant properties of fruit and vegetables,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 94–100, 1999.
- M. Cousins, J. Adelberg, F. Chen, and J. Rieck, “Antioxidant capacity of fresh and dried rhizomes from four clones of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) grown in vitro,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2007.
- A. Djeridane, M. Yousfi, B. Nadjemi, D. Boutassouna, P. Stocker, and N. Vidal, “Antioxidant activity of some algerian medicinal plants extracts containing phenolic compounds,” Food Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 654–660, 2006.
- Y. Ungar, O. F. Osundahunsi, and E. Shimoni, “Thermal stability of genistein and daidzein and its effect on their antioxidant activity,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 15, pp. 4394–4399, 2003.
- P. A. Cerutti, “Prooxidant states and tumor promotion,” Science, vol. 227, no. 4685, pp. 375–381, 1985.
- A. Alam, N. Khan, S. Sharma, M. Saleem, and S. Sultana, “Chemopreventive effect of Vitis vinifera extract on 12-O-tetradecanoyl-13-phorbol acetate-induced cutaneous oxidative stress and tumor promotion in murine skin,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 557–564, 2002.
- S. Rahman, K. Bhatia, A. Q. Khan et al., “Topically applied vitamin E prevents massive cutaneous inflammatory and oxidative stress responses induced by double application of 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA) in mice,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 195–205, 2008.
- S. K. Katiyar, F. Afaq, K. Azizuddin, and H. Mukhtar, “Inhibition of UVB-induced oxidative stress-mediated phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathways in cultured human epidermal keratinocytes by green tea polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 110–117, 2001.
- R. Casagrande, S. R. Georgetti, W. A. Verri Jr., D. J. Dorta, A. C. dos Santos, and M. J. V. Fonseca, “Protective effect of topical formulations containing quercetin against UVB-induced oxidative stress in hairless mice,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 21–27, 2006.
- W. Y. Boadi, P. A. Iyere, and S. E. Adunyah, “Effect of quercetin and genistein on copper- and iron-induced lipid peroxidation in methyl linolenate,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 363–369, 2003.
- S. Toda and Y. Shirataki, “Inhibitory effects of isoflavones on lipid peroxidation by reactive oxygen species,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 13, pp. 163–165, 1999.
- V. Mrkìc, E. Cocci, M. Dalla Rosa, and G. Sacchetti, “Effect of drying conditions on bioactive compounds and antioxidant activity of broccoli (Brassica oleracea L.),” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 1559–1566, 2006.