- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341269, 7 pages
Changes in Frequency-Doubling Perimetry in Patients with Type I Diabetes prior to Retinopathy
1Department of Ophthalmology, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, Aragon Health Sciences Institute, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
2Miguel Servet University Hospital, Aragon Health Sciences Institute, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
3Department of Applied Physics, Zaragoza University, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
4Department of Cardiology, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, Aragon Health Sciences Institute, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Received 21 July 2013; Revised 23 September 2013; Accepted 25 September 2013
Academic Editor: Atsushi Mizota
Copyright © 2013 Isabel Pinilla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Li, E. Zemel, B. Miller, and I. Perlman, “Early retinal damage in experimental diabetes: electroretinographical and morphological observations,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 615–625, 2002.
- Y. Aizu, K. Oyanagi, J. Hu, and H. Nakagawa, “Degeneration of retinal neuronal processes and pigment epithelium in the early stage of the streptozotocin-diabetic rats,” Neuropathology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 161–170, 2002.
- K. Frost Larsen, J. Sandahl Christiansen, and H. H. Parving, “The effect of strict short-term metabolic control on retinal nervous system abnormalities in newly diagnosed type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetic patients,” Diabetologia, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 207–209, 1983.
- J. V. Lovasik and M. M. Spafford, “An electrophysiological investigation of visual function in juvenile insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Optometry and Physiological Optics, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 236–253, 1988.
- M. A. S. Di Leo, B. Falsini, G. Ghirlanda, V. Porciatti, and A. V. Greco, “Spatial frequency-selective losses with pattern electroretinogram in Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetic patients without retinopathy,” Diabetologia, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 726–730, 1990.
- A. V. Greco, M. A. S. Di Leo, S. Caputo et al., “Early selective neuroretinal disorder in prepubertal type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetic children without microvascular abnormalities,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 98–102, 1994.
- A. Kurtenbach, H. Langrova, and E. Zrenner, “Multifocal oscillatory potentials in Type 1 diabetes without retinopathy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 3234–3241, 2000.
- M. A. Bearse Jr., Y. Han, M. E. Schneck, and A. J. Adams, “Retinal function in normal and diabetic eyes mapped with the slow flash multifocal electroretinogram,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 296–304, 2004.
- J. A. Phipps, E. L. Fletcher, and A. J. Vingrys, “Paired-flash identification of rod and cone dysfunction in the diabetic rat,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 4592–4600, 2004.
- K. E. Mortlock, Z. Chiti, N. Drasdo, D. R. Owens, and R. V. North, “Silent substitution S-cone electroretinogram in subjects with diabetes mellitus,” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 392–399, 2005.
- S. Della Sala, G. Bertoni, and L. Somazzi, “Impaired contrast sensitivity in diabetic patients with and without retinopathy: a new technique for rapid assessment,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 136–142, 1985.
- S. Sokol, A. Moskowitz, and B. Skarf, “Contrast sensitivity in diabetics with and without background retinopathy,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 51–54, 1985.
- G. M. Ismail and D. Whitaker, “Early detection of changes in visual function in diabetes mellitus,” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 1998.
- P. R. Kinnear, P. A. Aspinall, and R. Lakowski, “The diabetic eye and colour vision,” Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, vol. 92, pp. 69–78, 1972.
- K. Puvanendran, G. Devathasan, and P. K. Wong, “Visual evoked responses in diabetes,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 643–647, 1983.
- M. Anastasi, M. Lauricella, C. Giordano, and A. Galluzo, “Visual evoked potentials in insulin-dependent diabetics,” Acta Diabetologica Latina, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 343–349, 1985.
- G. Pozzessere, P. A. Rizzo, E. Valle et al., “Early detection of neurological involvement in IDDM and NIDDM. Multimodal evoked potentials versus metabolic control,” Diabetes Care, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 473–480, 1988.
- K. Yaltkaya, S. Balkan, and A. I. Baysal, “Visual evoked potentials in diabetes mellitus,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 239–241, 1988.
- E. Mariani, G. Moreo, and G. B. Colucci, “Study of visual evoked potentials in diabetics without retinopathy: correlations with clinical findings and polyneuropathy,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 337–340, 1990.
- V. Martinelli, I. M. Filippi, F. Meschi, G. Pozza, N. Canal, and G. C. Comi, “Electrophysiological study of optic pathways in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus,” Clinical Vision Sciences, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 437–443, 1991.
- G. Pozzessere, E. Valle, S. De Crignis et al., “Abnormalities of cognitive functions in IDDM revealed by P300 event-related potential analysis: comparison with short-latency evoked potentials and psychometric tests,” Diabetes, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 952–958, 1991.
- L. Uccioli, V. Parisi, G. Monticone et al., “Electrophysiological assessment of visual function in newly diagnosed IDDM patients,” Diabetologia, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 804–808, 1995.
- E. Chihara, T. Matsuoka, Y. Ogura, and M. Matsumura, “Retinal nerve fiber layer defect as an early manifestation of diabetic retinopathy,” Ophthalmology, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 1147–1151, 1993.
- D. H. Kelly, “Frequency doubling in visual responses,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1628–1633, 1966.
- D. H. Kelly, “Nonlinear visual responses to flickering sinusoidal gratings,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 1051–1055, 1981.
- T. Maddess, I. Goldberg, J. Dobinson, S. Wine, A. H. Welsh, and A. C. James, “Testing for glaucoma with the spatial frequency doubling illusion,” Vision Research, vol. 39, no. 25, pp. 4258–4273, 1999.
- P. G. D. Spry, C. A. Johnson, A. M. McKendrick, and A. Turpin, “Variability components of standard automated perimetry and frequency-doubling technology perimetry,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1404–1410, 2001.
- P. Fogagnolo, L. Rossetti, S. Ranno, A. Ferreras, and N. Orzalesi, “Short-wavelength automated perimetry and frequency-doubling technology perimetry in glaucoma,” Progress in Brain Research, vol. 173, pp. 101–124, 2008.
- A. J. R. White, H. Sun, W. H. Swanson, and B. B. Lee, “An examination of physiological mechanisms underlying the frequency-doubling illusion,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 3590–3599, 2002.
- M. Wolkstein, A. Atkin, and I. Bodis-Wollner, “Contrast sensitivity in retinal disease,” Ophthalmology, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 1140–1149, 1980.
- I. M. Ghafour, W. S. Foulds, D. Allan, and E. McClure, “Contrast sensitivity in diabetic subjects with and without retinopathy,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 492–495, 1982.
- L. Hyvarinen, P. Laurinen, and J. Rovamo, “Contrast sensitivity in evaluation of visual impairment due to diabetes,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 94–101, 1983.
- T. Realini, M. Q. Lai, and L. Barber, “Impact of diabetes on glaucoma screening using frequency-doubling perimetry,” Ophthalmology, vol. 111, no. 11, pp. 2133–2136, 2004.
- L. T. Chylack Jr., J. K. Wolfe, D. M. Singer et al., “The lens opacities classification system III,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 831–836, 1993.
- Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group: Photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema, “Early treatment diabetic retinopathy study report number 1,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 1796–1806, 1985.
- A. Ferreras, J. M. Larrosa, V. Polo, A. B. Pajarín, F. Mayoral, and F. M. Honrubia, “Frequency-doubling technology: searching for the optimum diagnostic criteria for glaucoma,” Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 2007.
- A. Ferreras, V. Polo, J. M. Larrosa et al., “Can frequency-doubling technology and short-wavelength automated perimetries detect visual field defects before standard automated perimetry in patients with preperimetric glaucoma?” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 372–383, 2007.
- R. Parikh, M. Naik, A. Mathai, T. Kuriakose, J. Muliyil, and R. Thomas, “Role of frequency doubling technology perimetry in screening of diabetic retinopathy,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2006.
- M. Parravano, F. Oddone, D. Mineo et al., “The role of Humphrey Matrix testing in the early diagnosis of retinopathy in type 1 diabetes,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 1656–1660, 2008.
- A. Bell, A. C. James, M. Kolic, R. W. Essex, and T. Maddess, “Dichoptic multifocal pupillography reveals afferent visual field defects in early type 2 diabetes,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 602–608, 2010.
- S. C. Patel, D. S. Friedman, P. Varadkar, and A. L. Robin, “Algorithm for interpreting the results of frequency doubling perimetry,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 323–327, 2000.
- A. U. Bayer and C. Erb, “Short wavelength automated perimetry, frequency doubling technology perimetry, and pattern electroretinography for prediction of progressive glaucomatous standard visual field defects,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1009–1017, 2002.
- A. P. Tanna, C. Abraham, J. Lai, and J. Shen, “Impact of cataract on the results of frequency-doubling technology perimetry,” Ophthalmology, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 1504–1507, 2004.