- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341387, 11 pages
A Mouse Model of Interstitial Pneumonitis Induced by Murine Cytomegalovirus Infection after Allogeneic Skin Transplantation
1Department of Microbiology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei, Anhui 230032, China
2Key Laboratory of Gene Resource Utilization for Severe Diseases, The Ministry of Education of China and Anhui Province, Hefei, Anhui 230032, China
3Department of Organ Transplantation, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510080, China
4Department of Pathology & Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Received 11 April 2013; Revised 4 June 2013; Accepted 14 June 2013
Academic Editor: Michel Mittelbronn
Copyright © 2013 Dequn Ni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Meyers, “Cytomegalovirus infection after organ allografting,” in The Herpesviruses, B. Roizman and C. Lopez, Eds., p. 201, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- M. Bergallo, C. Costa, M. E. Terlizzi et al., “Reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction to evaluate human cytomegalovirus lytic gene expression,” Molecular Biotechnology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 144–150, 2008.
- M. J. Pérez-Sola, J. J. Castón, R. Solana, A. Rivero, and J. Torre-Cisneros, “Indirect effects of cytomegalovirus infection in solid organ transplant recipients,” Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiologia Clinica, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 38–47, 2008.
- E. S. Mocarski, T. Shenk, and R. F. Pass, “Cytomegaloviruses,” in Field's Virology, D. M. Knipe and P. M. Howley, Eds., pp. 2701–2772, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2007.
- M. Ho, “Epidemiology of cytomegalovirus infections,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. S701–S710, 1990.
- S. R. Riddell, “Pathogenesis of cytomegalovirus pneumonia in immunocompromised hosts,” Seminars in Respiratory Infections, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 199–208, 1995.
- N. Salomon and D. C. Perlman, “Cytomegalovirus pneumonia,” Seminars in Respiratory Infections, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 353–358, 1999.
- J. D. Shanley, R. S. Thrall, and S. J. Forman, “Murine cytomegalovirus replication in the lungs of athymic BALB/c nude mice,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 309–315, 1997.
- L. Gao, S. Qian, L. Zeng et al., “An animal model of human cytomegalovirus infection,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 3438–3443, 2007.
- G. R. Shellam, A. J. Redwood, L. M. Smith, and S. Gorman, “Murine cytomegalovirus and other herpesviruses,” in The Mouse in Biomedical Research, J. G. Fox, S. Barthold, C. Newcomer, A. Smith, F. Quimby, and M. Davisson, Eds., vol. 2, chapter 1, pp. 1–48, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- C. M. Snyder, K. S. Cho, E. L. Bonnett, S. van Dommelen, G. R. Shellam, and A. B. Hill, “Memory inflation during chronic viral infection is maintained by continuous production of short-lived, functional T cells,” Immunity, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 650–659, 2008.
- H. I. McFarland and A. S. Rosenberg, “UNIT 4.4 skin allograft rejection,” in Current Protocols in Immunology, chapter 4, 2009.
- C. A. Wu, S. A. Paveglio, E. G. Lingenheld, L. Zhu, L. Lefrançois, and L. Puddington, “Transmission of murine cytomegalovirus in breast milk: a model of natural infection in neonates,” Journal of Virology, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 5115–5124, 2011.
- C. M. Doom and A. B. Hill, “MHC class I immune evasion in MCMV infection,” Medical Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 191–204, 2008.
- J. Yonemitsu, “Interleukin-4 induces mouse cytomegalovirus interstitial pneumonia in a latent infection model,” Kurume Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2001.
- M. Hummel, Z. Zhang, S. Yan et al., “Allogeneic transplantation induces expression of cytomegalovirus immediate-early genes in vivo: a model for reactivation from latency,” Journal of Virology, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 4814–4822, 2001.
- S. C. Henry and J. D. Hamilton, “Detection of murine cytomegalovirus immediate early 1 transcripts in the spleens of latently infected mice,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 167, no. 4, pp. 950–954, 1993.
- M. Schleiss, J. Eickhoff, S. Auerochs et al., “Protein kinase inhibitors of the quinazoline class exert anti-cytomegaloviral activity in vitro and in vivo,” Antiviral Research, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 49–61, 2008.
- P. Price, R. M. Hopkins, H. K. Teo, J. M. Papadimitriou, and G. R. Shellam, “Modulation of immunocompetence by cyclosporin A, cyclophosphamide or protein malnutrition potentiates murine cytomegalovirus pneumonitis,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 187, no. 8, pp. 993–1000, 1991.
- J. Tang, M. Wang, J. Qiu et al., “Building a mouse model hallmarking the congenital human cytomegalovirus infection in central nervous system,” Archives of Virology, vol. 147, no. 6, pp. 1189–1195, 2002.
- C. Loong, H. Hsieh, W. Lui, A. Chen, and C. Lin, “Evidence for the early involvement of interleukin 17 in human and experimental renal allograft rejection,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 322–332, 2002.
- A. Krmpotic, I. Bubic, B. Polic, P. Lucin, and S. Jonjic, “Pathogenesis of murine cytomegalovirus infection,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 5, no. 13, pp. 1263–1277, 2003.
- Q. Ye, G. Luo, X. He et al., “Prospective study of relationship between cytomegalovirus pneumonia and viral load in renal transplant recipients,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 3036–3041, 2004.
- R. Hai, A. Chu, H. Li, S. Umamoto, P. Rider, and F. Liu, “Infection of human cytomegalovirus in cultured human gingival tissue,” Virology Journal, vol. 3, no. 5, article 84, 2006.
- H. S. Loh, M. A. Mohd-Lila, S. O. Abdul-Rahman, et al., “Pathogenesis and vertical transmission of a transplacental rat cytomegalovirus,” Virology Journal, vol. 3, no. 1, p. 42, 2006.
- L. B. Allen, S. Li, G. Arnett, B. Toyer, W. M. Shannon, and M. G. Hollingshead, “Novel method for evaluating antiviral drugs against human cytomegalovirus in mice,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 206–208, 1992.
- E. R. Kern, D. J. Bidanset, C. B. Hartline, Z. Yan, J. Zemlicka, and D. C. Quenelle, “Oral activity of a methylenecyclopropane analog, cyclopropavir, in animal models for cytomegalovirus infections,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 4745–4753, 2004.
- D. DiLoreto Jr., L. G. Epstein, E. S. Lazar, W. J. Britt, and M. Del Cerro, “Methods in laboratory investigation. Cytomegalovirus infection of human retinal tissue: an in vivo model,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 141–148, 1994.
- K. A. Laycock, E. D. Fenoglio, K. K. Hook, and J. S. Pepose, “An in vivo model of human cytomegalovirus retinal infection,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 181–189, 1997.
- E. C. Dunkel, D. De Freitas, D. I. Scheer et al., “A rabbit model for human cytomegalovirus-induced chorioretinal disease,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 336–344, 1993.
- M. C. Jordan, “Interstitial pneumonia and subclinical infection after intranasal inoculation of murine cytomegalovirus,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 275–280, 1978.
- N. A. Fitzgerald, J. M. Papadimitriou, and G. R. Shellam, “Cytomegalovirus-induced pneumonitis and myocarditis in newborn mice. A model for perinatal human cytomegalovirus infection,” Archives of Virology, vol. 115, no. 1-2, pp. 75–88, 1990.
- P. Ljungman, P. Biron, A. Bosi et al., “Cytomegalovirus interstitial pneumonia in autologous bone marrow transplant recipients,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 209–212, 1994.
- J. Podlech, R. Holtappels, M.-F. Pahl-Seibert, H.-P. Steffens, and M. J. Reddehase, “Murine model of interstitial cytomegalovirus pneumonia in syngeneic bone marrow transplantation: persistence of protective pulmonary CD8-T-cell infiltrates after clearance of acute infection,” Journal of Virology, vol. 74, no. 16, pp. 7496–7507, 2000.