- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 342973, 12 pages
Citrus Flavanones Affect Hepatic Fatty Acid Oxidation in Rats by Acting as Prooxidant Agents
1Department of Biochemistry, Laboratory of Liver Metabolism, University of Maringá, 87020900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
2Department of Physiological Sciences, University of Maringá, 87020900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
Received 22 August 2013; Revised 17 September 2013; Accepted 18 September 2013
Academic Editor: Isabel C. F. R. Ferreira
Copyright © 2013 Rodrigo Polimeni Constantin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. di Majo, M. Giammanco, M. la Guardia, E. Tripoli, S. Giammanco, and E. Finotti, “Flavanones in Citrus fruit: structure-antioxidant activity relationships,” Food Research International, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1161–1166, 2005.
- L. J. Wilcox, N. M. Borradaile, and M. W. Huff, “Antiatherogenic properties of naringenin, a citrus flavonoid,” Cardiovascular Drug Reviews, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 160–178, 1999.
- J. A. da Silva Emim, A. S. Oliveira, and A. J. Lapa, “Pharmacological evaluation of the anti-inflammatory activity of a citrus bioflavonoid, hesperidin, and the isoflavonoids, duartin and claussequinone, in rats and mice,” The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 118–122, 1994.
- J. A. Manthey, N. Guthrie, and K. Grohmann, “Biological properties of citrus flavonoids pertaining to cancer and inflammation,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 135–153, 2001.
- K. E. Heim, A. R. Tagliaferro, and D. J. Bobilya, “Flavonoid antioxidants: chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 572–584, 2002.
- W. Bors, W. Heller, C. Michel, and M. Saran, “Flavonoids as antioxidants: determination of radical-scavenging efficiencies,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 343–355, 1990.
- H. de Groot and U. Rauen, “Tissue injury by reactive oxygen species and the protective effects of flavonoids,” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 249–255, 1998.
- W. Bors, C. Michel, and K. Stettmaier, “Structure-activity relationships governing antioxidant capacities of plant polyphenols,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 335, pp. 166–180, 2001.
- B. Sengupta, A. Banerjee, and P. K. Sengupta, “Investigations on the binding and antioxidant properties of the plant flavonoid fisetin in model biomembranes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 570, no. 1–3, pp. 77–81, 2004.
- J. Constantin and A. Bracht, “Quercetin, mechanisms of anti and prooxidant activities,” in Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants, Volume 21: Phytopharmacology and Therapeutic Values III, K. Sing and J. N. Govil, Eds., pp. 39–61, TX Studium Press, Houston, Tex, USA, 2008.
- G. Cao, E. Sofic, and R. L. Prior, “Antioxidant and prooxidant behavior of flavonoids: structure-activity relationships,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 749–760, 1997.
- G. D. Buss, J. Constantin, L. C. N. de Lima et al., “The action of quercetin on the mitochondrial NADH to NAD+ ratio in the isolated perfused rat liver,” Planta Medica, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 1118–1122, 2005.
- R. P. Constantin, J. Constantin, C. L. S. Pagadigorria et al., “Prooxidant activity of fisetin: effects on energy metabolism in the rat liver,” Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 117–126, 2011.
- F. R. S. Gasparin, C. L. Salgueiro-Pagadigorria, L. Bracht, E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, A. Bracht, and J. Constantin, “Action of quercetin on glycogen catabolism in the rat liver,” Xenobiotica, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 587–602, 2003.
- F. R. S. Gasparin, F. L. Spitzner, E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, A. Bracht, and J. Constantin, “Actions of quercetin on gluconeogenesis and glycolysis in rat liver,” Xenobiotica, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 903–911, 2003.
- R. P. Constantin, J. Constantin, C. L. S. Pagadigorria et al., “The actions of fisetin on glucose metabolism in the rat liver,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 149–158, 2010.
- T. Chan, G. Galati, and P. J. O'Brien, “Oxygen activation during peroxidase catalysed metabolism of flavones or flavanones,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 1999.
- G. Galati, O. Sabzevari, J. X. Wilson, and P. J. O'Brien, “Prooxidant activity and cellular effects of the phenoxyl radicals of dietary flavonoids and other polyphenolics,” Toxicology, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 91–104, 2002.
- R. Scholz and T. Bücher, “Hemoglobin-free perfusion of rat liver,” in Control of Energy Metabolism, B. Chance, R. W. Estabrook, and J. R. Williamson, Eds., pp. 393–414, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- S. Soboll, H. W. Heldt, and R. Scholz, “Changes in the subcellular distribution of metabolites due to ethanol oxidation in perfused rat liver,” Hoppe-Seyler's Zeitschrift fur Physiologische Chemie, vol. 362, no. 3, pp. 247–260, 1981.
- J. Mellanby and D. H. Williamson, “Acetoacetate,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 1840–1843, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- L. C. Clark, “Monitoring and control of blood O2 tension,” Transactions American Society For Artificial Internal Organs, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 1956.
- R. Scholz, M. S. Olson, and A. J. Schwab, “The effect of fatty acids on the regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase in perfused rat liver,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 519–530, 1978.
- D. O. Voss, A. P. Campello, and M. Bacila, “The respiratory chain and the oxidative phosphorylation of rat brain mitochondria,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 48–51, 1961.
- S. K. Natarajan, C. E. Eapen, A. B. Pullimood, and K. A. Balasubramanian, “Oxidative stress in experimental liver microvesicular steatosis: role of mitochondria and peroxisomes,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1240–1249, 2006.
- P. B. Garland, D. Shepherd, D. G. Nicholls, D. W. Yates, and P. A. Light, “Interactions between fatty acid oxidation and the tricarboxylic acid cycle,” in Citric Acid Cycle, J. M. Lowestein, Ed., pp. 163–212, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1969.
- T. P. Singer, “Determination of the activity of succinate, NADH, choline, and alpha-glycerophosphate dehydrogenases,” Methods of Biochemical Analysis, vol. 22, pp. 123–175, 1974.
- H. Taguchi, Y. Ogura, T. Takanashi, M. Hashizoe, and Y. Honda, “In vivo quantitation of peroxides in the vitreous humor by fluorophotometry,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1444–1450, 1996.
- G. M. Small, K. Burdett, and M. J. Connock, “A sensitive spectrophotometric assay for peroxisomal acyl-CoA oxidase,” The Biochemical Journal, vol. 227, no. 1, pp. 205–210, 1985.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- H. U. Bergmeyer, “3-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase from rhodopseudomonas spheroids,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., vol. 2, p. 475, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- S. Soboll, R. Scholz, and H. W. Heldt, “Subcellular metabolite concentrations. Dependence of mitochondrial and cytosolic ATP systems on the metabolic state of perfused rat liver,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 377–390, 1978.
- R. L. Veech, L. Raijman, and H. A. Krebs, “Equilibrium relations between the cytoplasmic adenine nucleotide system and nicotinamide-adenine nucleotide system in rat liver,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 499–503, 1970.
- V. V. Subrahmanyam, D. Ross, D. A. Eastmond, and M. T. Smith, “Potential role of free radicals in benzene-induced myelotoxicity and leukemia,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 495–515, 1991.
- M. I. Savenkova, D. M. Mueller, and J. W. Heinecke, “Tyrosyl radical generated by myeloperoxidase is a physiological catalyst for the initiation of lipid peroxidation in low density lipoprotein,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 32, pp. 20394–20400, 1994.
- A. Daugherty, J. L. Dunn, D. L. Rateri, and J. W. Heinecke, “Myeloperoxidase, a catalyst for lipoprotein oxidation, is expressed in human atherosclerotic lesions,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 437–444, 1994.
- H. Aebi, “Catalase,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 673–684, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- J. Pütter, “Peroxidases,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 685–690, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- H. Komatsu, A. Koo, E. Ghadishah et al., “Neutrophil accumulation in ischemic reperfused rat liver: evidence for a role for superoxide free radicals,” The American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 262, no. 4, pp. G669–G676, 1992.
- R. P. Mason and V. Fischer, “Free radicals of acetaminophen: their subsequent reactions and toxicological significance,” Federation Proceedings, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 2493–2499, 1986.
- B. Fromenty, C. Fisch, G. Labbe et al., “Amiodarone inhibits the mitochondrial β-oxidation and fatty acids and produces microvesicular steatosis of the liver in mice,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 255, no. 3, pp. 1371–1376, 1990.
- G. P. Mannaerts, L. J. Debeer, J. Thomas, and P. J. de Schepper, “Mitochondrial and peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation in liver homogenates and isolated hepatocytes from control and clofibrate-treated rats,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 254, no. 11, pp. 4585–4595, 1979.
- N. J. Watmough, L. A. Bindoff, M. A. Birch-Machin et al., “Impaired mitochondrial β-oxidation in a patient with an abnormality of the respiratory chain. Studies in skeletal muscle mitochondria,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 177–184, 1990.
- A. M. Kelmer-Bracht, F. S. Kemmelmeier, E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, M. Alvarez, and A. Bracht, “Effect of Stevia rebaudiana natural products on cellular and sub-cellular metabolism,” Arquivos de Biologia e Tecnologia, vol. 28, pp. 431–455, 1985.
- W. H. Stermann, G. Holze, and W. Seubert, “Regulation of ketogenesis at the site of acetyl-CoA acetyl transferase,” in Biochemical and Clinical Aspects of Ketone Body Metabolism, H. D. Söling and C. D. Seufert, Eds., pp. 11–23, Geor Thieme Publishers, Stuttgart, Germany, 1978.
- J. Londoño-Londoño, V. R. D. Lima, C. Jaramillo, and T. Creczynski-pasa, “Hesperidin and hesperetin membrane interaction: understanding the role of 7-O-glycoside moiety in flavonoids,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 499, no. 1-2, pp. 6–16, 2010.
- J. Goldwasser, P. Y. Cohen, E. Yang, P. Balaguer, M. L. Yarmush, and Y. Nahmias, “Transcriptional regulation of human and rat hepatic lipid metabolism by the grapefruit flavonoid naringenin: role of PPARα, PPARγ and LXRα,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 8, Article ID e12399, 2010.
- C. Felgines, O. Texier, C. Morand et al., “Bioavailability of the flavanone naringenin and its glycosides in rats,” American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 279, no. 6, pp. G1148–G1154, 2000.
- D. J. Hoffman, T. Seifert, A. Borre, and H. N. Nellans, “Method to estimate the rate and extent of intestinal absorption in conscious rats using an absorption probe and portal blood sampling,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 889–894, 1995.
- R. Saller, R. Brignoli, J. Melzer, and R. Meier, “An updated systematic review with meta-analysis for the clinical evidence of silymarin,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 2008.
- H. Matsumoto, Y. Ikoma, M. Sugiura, M. Yano, and Y. Hasegawa, “Identification and quantification of the conjugated metabolites derived from orally administered hesperidin in rat plasma,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 21, pp. 6653–6659, 2004.
- W. Mullen, M.-A. Archeveque, C. A. Edwards, H. Matsumoto, and A. Crozier, “Bioavailability and metabolism of orange juice flavanones in humans: impact of a full-fat yogurt,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 23, pp. 11157–11164, 2008.