- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 350289, 7 pages
Is the Blood Pressure Paradox Observed in All Heart Failure Patients?
1Serviço de Medicina Interna, Centro Hospitalar de São João, Alameda Professor Hernâni Monteiro, 4202-451 Porto, Portugal
2Unidade I&D Cardiovascular do Porto, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto, 4202-451 Porto, Portugal
3Serviço de Patologia Clínica, Centro Hospitalar São João, Departamento de Bioquímica da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto, 4202-451 Porto, Portugal
Received 8 June 2013; Accepted 1 October 2013
Academic Editor: Dirk Bandorski
Copyright © 2013 F. M. Cunha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. B. Kannel, D. McGee, and T. Gordon, “A general cardiovascular risk profile: the Framingham study,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 46–51, 1976.
- American Diabetes Association, “Standards of medical care in diabetes—2011,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, supplement 1, pp. S11–S61, 2011.
- G. A. Nichols, C. M. Gullion, C. E. Koro, S. A. Ephross, and J. B. Brown, “The incidence of congestive heart failure in type 2 diabetes: an update,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1879–1884, 2004.
- C. Tribouilloy, D. Rusinaru, L. Leborgne et al., “In-hospital mortality and prognostic factors in patients admitted for new-onset heart failure with preserved or reduced ejection fraction: a prospective observational study,” Archives of Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 226–234, 2008.
- G. C. Fonarow, K. F. Adams Jr., W. T. Abraham, C. W. Yancy, and W. J. Boscardin, “Risk stratification for in-hospital mortality in acutely decompensated heart failure: classification and regression tree analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 5, pp. 572–580, 2005.
- M. S. Nieminen, D. Brutsaert, K. Dickstein et al., “EuroHeart Failure Survey II (EHFS II): a survey on hospitalized acute heart failure patients: description of population,” European Heart Journal, vol. 27, no. 22, pp. 2725–2736, 2006.
- J. T. Parissis, P. Rafouli-Stergiou, A. Mebazaa et al., “Acute heart failure in patients with diabetes mellitus: clinical characteristics and predictors of in-hospital mortality,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2012.
- B. H. Greenberg, W. T. Abraham, N. M. Albert et al., “Influence of diabetes on characteristics and outcomes in patients hospitalized with heart failure: a report from the Organized Program to Initiate Lifesaving Treatment in Hospitalized Patients with Heart Failure (OPTIMIZE-HF),” American Heart Journal, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 277e1–277e8, 2007.
- M. R. MacDonald, M. C. Petrie, F. Varyani et al., “Impact of diabetes on outcomes in patients with low and preserved ejection fraction heart failure-an analysis of the Candesartan in Heart failure: assessment of reduction in mortality and morbidity (CHARM) programme,” European Heart Journal, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1377–1385, 2008.
- P. De Groote, N. Lamblin, F. Mouquet et al., “Impact of diabetes mellitus on long-term survival in patients with congestive heart failure,” European Heart Journal, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 656–662, 2004.
- S. Sarma, R. J. Mentz, M. J. Kwasny, et al., “Association between diabetes mellitus and post-discharge outcomes in patients hospitalized with heart failure: findings from the EVEREST trial,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 194–202, 2013.
- M. Domanski, H. Krause-Steinrauf, P. Deedwania et al., “The effect of diabetes on outcomes of patients with advanced heart failure in the BEST trial,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 914–922, 2003.
- D. Levy, M. G. Larson, R. S. Vasan, W. B. Kannel, and K. K. L. Ho, “The progression from hypertension to congestive heart failure,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 275, no. 20, pp. 1557–1562, 1996.
- S. Ather, W. Chan, A. Chillar et al., “Association of systolic blood pressure with mortality in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: a complex relationship,” American Heart Journal, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 567–573, 2011.
- M. Banach, V. Bhatia, M. A. Feller et al., “Relation of baseline systolic blood pressure and long-term outcomes in ambulatory patients with chronic mild to moderate heart failure,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 107, no. 8, pp. 1208–1214, 2011.
- T. T. Lee, J. Chen, D. J. Cohen, and L. Tsao, “The association between blood pressure and mortality in patients with heart failure,” American Heart Journal, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 76–83, 2006.
- R. K. Cheng, T. B. Horwich, and G. C. Fonarow, “Relation of systolic blood pressure to survival in both ischemic and nonischemic systolic heart failure,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 1698–1705, 2008.
- W. T. Abraham, G. C. Fonarow, N. M. Albert et al., “Predictors of in-hospital mortality in patients hospitalized for heart failure. Insights from the organized program to initiate lifesaving treatment in hospitalized patients with heart failure (OPTIMIZE-HF),” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 347–356, 2008.
- M. Gheorghiade, W. T. Abraham, N. M. Albert et al., “Systolic blood pressure at admission, clinical characteristics, and outcomes in patients hospitalized with acute heart failure,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 18, pp. 2217–2226, 2006.
- G. Güder, S. Frantz, J. Bauersachs et al., “Reverse epidemiology in systolic and nonsystolic heart failure: cumulative prognostic benefit of classical cardiovascular risk factors,” Circulation, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 563–571, 2009.
- D. S. Lee, N. Ghosh, J. S. Floras et al., “Association of blood pressure at hospital discharge with mortality in patients diagnosed with heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 616–623, 2009.
- K. Siirilä-Waris, J. Lassus, J. Melin, K. Peuhkurinen, M. S. Nieminen, and V. Harjola, “Characteristics, outcomes, and predictors of 1-year mortality in patients hospitalized for acute heart failure,” European Heart Journal, vol. 27, no. 24, pp. 3011–3017, 2006.
- M. T. Vidán, H. Bueno, Y. Wang et al., “The relationship between systolic blood pressure on admission and mortality in older patients with heart failure,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 148–155, 2010.
- K. Kalantar-Zadeh, G. Block, T. Horwich, and G. C. Fonarow, “Reverse epidemiology of conventional cardiovascular risk factors in patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1439–1444, 2004.
- K. Dickstein, A. Cohen-Solal, G. Filippatos et al., “ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2008 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association of the ESC (HFA) and endorsed by the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM),” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 29, no. 19, pp. 2388–2442, 2008.
- P. A. Meredith, J. Östergren, I. Anand et al., “Clinical outcomes according to baseline blood pressure in patients with a low ejection fraction in the CHARM (Candesartan in Heart failure: Assessment of Reduction in Mortality and morbidity) Program,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 2000–2007, 2008.
- C. Adamopoulos, P. Meyer, R. V. Desai et al., “Absence of obesity paradox in patients with chronic heart failure and diabetes mellitus: a propensity-matched study,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 200–206, 2011.
- A. I. Vinik, R. E. Maser, B. D. Mitchell, and R. Freeman, “Diabetic autonomic neuropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1553–1579, 2003.