- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 351942, 6 pages
Relationship between Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphisms and Migraine without Aura in an Iranian Population
1Physiology Research Center, Department of Physiology, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2Medical Student Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 81745-319, Iran
3School of Pharmacy and Isfahan Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
4Department of Neurology and Isfahan Neurosciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Received 19 March 2013; Revised 1 June 2013; Accepted 24 June 2013
Academic Editor: Sebastian Straube
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Motaghi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Vos, et al., “Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010,” The Lancet, vol. 380, no. 9859, pp. 2163–2196, 2012.
- S. D. Silberstein, “Migraine,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9406, pp. 381–391, 2004.
- D. Levy, R. Burstein, and A. M. Strassman, “Mast cell involvement in the pathophysiology of migraine headache: a hypothesis,” Headache, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. S13–S18, 2006.
- C. P. Schreiber, “The pathophysiology of migraine,” Disease-a-Month, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 385–401, 2006.
- Z. Mohammadnejad, M. Ghanbari, R. Ganjali et al., “Association between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and type 1 diabetes mellitus in Iranian population,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 831–837, 2012.
- K. L. Jablonski, M. Chonchol, G. L. Pierce, A. E. Walker, and D. R. Seals, “25-Hydroxyvitamin D deficiency is associated with inflammation-linked vascular endothelial dysfunction in middle-aged and older adults,” Hypertension, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2011.
- S. Straube, R. Andrew Moore, S. Derry, and H. J. McQuay, “Vitamin D and chronic pain,” Pain, vol. 141, no. 1-2, pp. 10–13, 2009.
- P. J. Goadsby, “Pathophysiology of migraine,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 335–360, 2009.
- J. P. Kesby, X. Cui, P. Ko, J. J. McGrath, T. H. J. Burne, and D. W. Eyles, “Developmental vitamin D deficiency alters dopamine turnover in neonatal rat forebrain,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 461, no. 2, pp. 155–158, 2009.
- Headache Classification Subcommittee of the International Headache Society, “The International Classification of Headache Disorders: 2nd edition,” Cephalalgia, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. 9–160, 2004.
- M. Kosinski, M. S. Bayliss, J. B. Bjorner et al., “A six-item short-form survey for measuring headache impact: the HIT-6™,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 963–974, 2003.
- S. Wheeler, “Vitamin D deficiency in chronic migraine,” Headache, vol. 48, no. S1, pp. S52–S53, 2008.
- S. Thys-Jacobs, “Alleviation of migraines with therapeutic vitamin D and calcium,” Headache, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 590–592, 1994.
- S. Thys-Jacobs, “Vitamin D and calcium in menstrual migraine,” Headache, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 544–546, 1994.
- M. Kjaergaard, A. E. Eggen, E. B. Mathiesen, and R. Jorde, “Association between headache and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the Tromso Study: tromso 6,” Headache, 2012.
- S. Prakash and N. D. Shah, “Chronic tension-type headache with vitamin d deficiency: casual or causal association?” Headache, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1214–1222, 2009.
- S. Prakash, N. C. Mehta, A. S. Dabhi, O. Lakhani, M. Khilari, and N. D. Shah, “The prevalence of headache may be related with the latitude: a possible role of Vitamin D insufficiency?” The Journal of Headache and Pain, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 301–307, 2010.
- K. V. Knutsen, M. Brekke, S. Gjelstad, and P. Lagerløv, “Vitamin D status in patients with musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and headache: a cross-sectional descriptive study in a multi-ethnic general practice in Norway,” Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 166–171, 2010.
- T. W. Ho, L. Edvinsson, and P. J. Goadsby, “CGRP and its receptors provide new insights into migraine pathophysiology,” Nature Reviews Neurology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 573–582, 2010.
- I. A. Yilmaz, A. Özge, M. E. Erdal, T. G. Edgünlü, S. E. Çakmak, and O. Ö. Yalin, “Cytokine polymorphism in patients with migraine: some suggestive clues of migraine and inflammation,” Pain Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 492–497, 2010.
- L. Gu, Y. Yan, J. Long et al., “The TNF-α -308G/A polymorphism is associated with migraine risk: a meta-analysis,” Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1082–1086, 2012.
- C. Molinari, F. Uberti, E. Grossini et al., “1α,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol induces nitric oxide production in cultured endothelial cells,” Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 661–668, 2011.
- G. Csaba, P. Kovács, and É. Pállinger, “Transgenerational effect of neonatal vitamin A or D treatment (hormonal imprinting) on the hormone content of rat immune cells,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 197–201, 2007.
- E. Baroni, M. Biffi, F. Benigni et al., “VDR-dependent regulation of mast cell maturation mediated by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 250–262, 2007.
- S. H. Javanmard, S. A. Sonbolestan, K. H. Ghahdarijani, M. Saadatnia, and S. A. Sonbolestan, “Enalapril improves endothelial function in patients with migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 2011.
- M. E. Bigal, T. Kurth, H. Hu, N. Santanello, and R. B. Lipton, “Migraine and cardiovascular disease: possible mechanisms of interaction,” Neurology, vol. 72, no. 21, pp. 1864–1871, 2009.
- J. Ghosh, G. Joshi, S. Pradhan, and B. Mittal, “Investigation of TNFA 308G > A and TNFB 252G > A polymorphisms in genetic susceptibility to migraine,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 257, no. 6, pp. 898–904, 2010.
- S.-T. Lee, K. Chu, K.-H. Jung et al., “Decreased number and function of endothelial progenitor cells in patients with migraine,” Neurology, vol. 70, no. 17, pp. 1510–1517, 2008.
- Y.-F. Yiu, Y.-H. Chan, K.-H. Yiu et al., “Vitamin D deficiency is associated with depletion of circulating endothelial progenitor cells and endothelial dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. E830–E835, 2011.
- Q. Wang, B. Xi, K. H. Reilly, M. Liu, and M. Fu, “Quantitative assessment of the associations between four polymorphisms (FokI, ApaI, BsmI, TaqI) of vitamin D receptor gene and risk of diabetes mellitus,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 9405–9414, 2012.
- E. F. Karray, I. Ben Dhifallah, K. Ben Abdelghani et al., “Associations of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms FokI and BsmI with susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis and Behçet's disease in Tunisians,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 144–148, 2012.
- J. D. Simmons, C. Mullighan, K. I. Welsh, and D. P. Jewell, “Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism: association with Crohn's disease susceptibility,” Gut, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 211–214, 2000.
- N. Naderi, A. Farnood, M. Habibi et al., “Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms in Iranian patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1816–1822, 2008.
- S. Cao, P.-F. Luo, W. Li, W.-Q. Tang, X.-N. Cong, and P.-M. Wei, “Vitamin D receptor genetic polymorphisms and tuberculosis among Chinese Han ethnic group,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 920–925, 2012.
- D. J. Lehmann, H. Refsum, D. R. Warden, C. Medway, G. K. Wilcock, and A. D. Smith, “The vitamin D receptor gene is associated with Alzheimer's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 504, no. 2, pp. 79–82, 2011.
- Z. Lv, B. Tang, Q. Sun, X. Yan, and J. Guo, “Association Study between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and patients with parkinson disease in chinese han population,” International Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 60–64, 2013.
- J. Huang and Z.-F. Xie, “Polymorphisms in the vitamin D receptor gene and multiple sclerosis risk: a meta-analysis of case-control studies,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 313, no. 1-2, pp. 79–85, 2012.
- M. Schürks, T. Kurth, J. E. Buring, and R. Y. L. Zee, “A candidate gene association study of 77 polymorphisms in migraine,” Journal of Pain, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 759–766, 2009.