- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 352370, 7 pages
Cardiac Fibroblast-Derived Extracellular Matrix (Biomatrix) as a Model for the Studies of Cardiac Primitive Cell Biological Properties in Normal and Pathological Adult Human Heart
1Department of Public Health, University of Naples “Federico II”, Via S. Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
2Department of Cardiothoracic Sciences, Second University of Naples, Via L. Bianchi, 80131 Naples, Italy
Received 23 February 2013; Accepted 11 April 2013
Academic Editor: Martin Götte
Copyright © 2013 Clotilde Castaldo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Mazhari and J. M. Hare, “Advances in cell-based therapy for structural heart disease,” Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 387–395, 2007.
- D. Nurzynska, C. Castaldo, S. Montagnani, and F. Di Meglio, “Cardiac progenitor and stem cell biology and therapy,” in Progenitor and Stem Cell Technologies and Therapies, A. Atala, Ed., pp. 418–442, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, Y. He, S. Bharadwaj et al., “Tissue-specific extracellular matrix coatings for the promotion of cell proliferation and maintenance of cell phenotype,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 23-24, pp. 4021–4028, 2009.
- J. P. Karam, C. Muscari, and C. N. Montero-Menei, “Combining adult stem cells and polymeric devices for tissue engineering in infarcted myocardium,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, pp. 5683–5695, 2012.
- M. Roediger, N. Miosge, and N. Gersdorff, “Tissue distribution of the laminin β1 and β2 chain during embryonic and fetal human development,” Journal of Molecular Histology, vol. 41, no. 2-3, pp. 177–184, 2010.
- K. Imanaka-Yoshida, K. I. Matsumoto, M. Hara, T. Sakakura, and T. Yoshida, “The dynamic expression of tenascin-C and tenascin-X during early heart development in the mouse,” Differentiation, vol. 71, no. 4-5, pp. 291–298, 2003.
- J. Barallobre-Barreiro, A. Didangelos, F. A. Schoendube, et al., “Proteomics analysis of cardiac extracellular matrix remodeling in a porcine model of ischemia/reperfusion injury,” Circulation, vol. 125, pp. 789–802, 2012.
- P. Akhyari, H. Kamiya, A. Haverich, M. Karck, and A. Lichtenberg, “Myocardial tissue engineering: the extracellular matrix,” European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 229–241, 2008.
- W. B. Vanwinkle, M. B. Snuggs, and L. M. Buja, “Cardiogel: a biosynthetic extracellular matrix for cardiomyocyte culture,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology—Animal, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 478–485, 1996.
- D. Nurzynska, F. Di Meglio, S. Montagnani, and C. Castaldo, “Cardiac stem cells derived from epithelial-mesenchymal transition of epicardial cells: role in heart regeneration (method),” in Stem Cells and Cancer Stem Cells, Vol. 5: Therapeutic Applications in Disease and Injury, M. A. Hayat, Ed., pp. 109–115, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- G. Cory, “Scratch-wound assay,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 769, pp. 25–30, 2011.
- T. R. Cox and J. T. Erler, “Remodeling and homeostasis of the extracellular matrix: implications for fibrotic diseases and cancer,” Disease Models and Mechanisms, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 165–178, 2011.
- N. Takeda, I. Manabe, Y. Uchino et al., “Cardiac fibroblasts are essential for the adaptive response of the murine heart to pressure overload,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 254–265, 2010.
- T. A. Baudino, W. Carver, W. Giles, and T. K. Borg, “Cardiac fibroblasts: friend or foe?” American Journal of Physiology—Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol. 291, no. 3, pp. H1015–H1026, 2006.
- H. Lu, T. Hoshiba, N. Kawazoe, and G. Chen, “Comparison of decellularization techniques for preparation of extracellular matrix scaffolds derived from three-dimensional cell culture,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 100, pp. 2507–2516, 2012.
- P. Bornstein and E. H. Sage, “Matricellular proteins: extracellular modulators of cell function,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 608–616, 2002.
- M. W. M. Schellings, Y. M. Pinto, and S. Heymans, “Matricellular proteins in the heart: possible role during stress and remodeling,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2004.
- H. Okamoto and K. Imanaka-Yoshida, “Matricellular proteins: new molecular targets to prevent heart failure,” Cardiovascular Therapeutics, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. e198–e209, 2012.
- C. Castaldo, F. Di Meglio, D. Nurzynska et al., “CD117-positive cells in adult human heart are localized in the subepicardium, and their activation is associated with laminin-1 and α6 integrin expression,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1723–1731, 2008.
- O. Bergmann, R. D. Bhardwaj, S. Bernard, et al., “Evidence for cardiomyocyte renewal in humans,” Science, vol. 324, pp. 98–102, 2009.
- C. Bearzi, M. Rota, T. Hosoda et al., “Human cardiac stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 35, pp. 14068–14073, 2007.
- D. Cesselli, A. P. Beltrami, F. D'Aurizio, et al., “Effects of age and heart failure on human cardiac stem cell function,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 179, pp. 349–366, 2011.
- D. Nurzynska, F. Di Meglio, V. Romano, et al., “Cardiac primitive cells become committed to a cardiac fate in adult human heart with chronic ischemic disease but fail to acquire mature phenotype: genetic and phenotypic study,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 108, p. 320, 2013.
- B. Geiger and K. M. Yamada, “Molecular architecture and function of matrix adhesion,” Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, vol. 3, no. 5, Article ID a005033, 2011.
- M. I. Phillips and Y. Tang, “Genetic modification of stem cells for cardiac, diabetic, and hemophilia transplantation therapies,” Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science, vol. 111, pp. 285–304, 2011.
- R. O. Hynes and A. Naba, “Overview of the matrisome—an inventory of extracellular matrix constituents and functions,” Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, vol. 4, no. 1, Article ID 004903, 2012.
- H. Shin, S. Jo, and A. G. Mikos, “Biomimetic materials for tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 24, pp. 4353–4364, 2003.
- P. Gentile, V. Chiono, C. Tonda-Turo, S. Sartori, and G. Ciardelli, “Biomimetic materials for medical application through enzymatic modification,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 125, pp. 181–205, 2011.