- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 353106, 8 pages
Differential Regulation of Ferritin Subunits and Iron Transport Proteins: An Effect of Targeted Hepatic X-Irradiation
1Department of Gastroenterology and Endocrinology, University Medical Center, Georg-August University, Robert-Koch Straße 40, 37075 Göttingen, Germany
2Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiooncology, University Medical Center, Georg-August University, Robert-Koch-Straße 40, 37075 Göttingen, Germany
3Department of Radiation Oncology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl-Neuberg Straße, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Received 5 August 2013; Accepted 9 October 2013
Academic Editor: Brad Upham
Copyright © 2013 Naila Naz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Citrin, A. P. Cotrim, F. Hyodo, B. J. Baum, M. C. Krishna, and J. B. Mitchell, “Radioprotectors and mitigators of radiation-induced normal tissue injury,” Oncologist, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 360–371, 2010.
- S. J. Shim, J. Seong, I. J. Lee, K. H. Han, C. Y. Chon, and S. H. Ahn, “Radiation-induced hepatic toxicity after radiotherapy combined with chemotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Hepatology Research, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 906–913, 2007.
- H. Christiansen, N. Sheikh, B. Saile et al., “X-irradiation in rat liver: consequent upregulation of hepcidin and downregulation of hemojuvelin and ferroportin-1 gene expression,” Radiology, vol. 242, no. 1, pp. 189–197, 2007.
- G. Ramadori and B. Christ, “Cytokines and the hepatic acute-phase response,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 141–156, 1999.
- N. Sheikh, J. Dudas, and G. Ramadori, “Changes of gene expression of iron regulatory proteins during turpentine oil-induced acute-phase response in the rat,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 713–725, 2007.
- B. Emami, J. Lyman, A. Brown et al., “Tolerance of normal tissue to therapeutic irradiation,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 109–122, 1991.
- B. B. Borgelt, R. Gelber, and L. W. Brady, “The palliation of hepatic metastases: results of the radiation therapy oncology group pilot study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 587–591, 1981.
- D. Habermehl, K. K. Herfarth, J. L. Bermejo et al., “Single-dose radiosurgical treatment for hepatic metastases—therapeutic outcome of 138 treated lesions from a single institution,” Radiation Oncology, vol. 8, article 175, 2013.
- A. Bujold, C. A. Massey, J. J. Kim et al., “Sequential phase I and II trials of stereotactic body radiotherapy for locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, pp. 1631–1639, 2013.
- M. Kong, S. E. Hong, W. S. Choi, J. Choi, and Y. Kim, “Treatment outcomes of helical intensity-modulated radiotherapy for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gut and Liver, vol. 7, pp. 343–351, 2013.
- A. Lausch, K. Sinclair, M. Lock et al., “Determination and comparison of radiotherapy dose responses for hepatocellular carcinoma and metastatic colorectal liver tumours,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 86, no. 1027, Article ID 20130147, 2013.
- N. Sanuki, A. Takeda, Y. Oku et al., “Stereotactic body radiotherapy for small hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective outcome analysis in 185 patients,” Acta Oncologica, 2013.
- S. Cameron, A. Schwartz, S. Sultan et al., “Radiation-induced damage in different segments of the rat intestine after external beam irradiation of the liver,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 243–258, 2012.
- H. Christiansen, B. Saile, R. M. Hermann et al., “Increase of hepcidin plasma and urine levels is associated with acute proctitis and changes in hemoglobin levels in primary radiotherapy for prostate cancer,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 297–304, 2007.
- F. Moriconi, H. Christiansen, D. Raddatz et al., “Effect of radiation on gene expression of rat liver chemokines: in vivo and in vitro studies,” Radiation Research, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 162–169, 2008.
- F. Moriconi, I. Malik, G. Ahmad et al., “Effect of irradiation on gene expression of rat liver adhesion molecules: in vivo and in vitro studies,” Strahlentherapie und Onkologie, vol. 185, no. 7, pp. 460–468, 2009.
- I. A. Malik, F. Moriconi, N. Sheikh et al., “Single-dose gamma-irradiation induces up-regulation of chemokine gene expression and recruitment of granulocytes into the portal area but not into other regions of rat hepatic tissue,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 176, no. 4, pp. 1801–1815, 2010.
- S. Sultan, S. Cameron, S. Ahmad et al., “Serum Lipocalin2 is a potential biomarker of liver irradiation damage,” Liver International, vol. 33, pp. 459–468, 2013.
- G. Ahmad, G. Z. K. Sial, P. Ramadori, J. Dudas, D. S. Batusic, and G. Ramadori, “Changes of hepatic lactoferrin gene expression in two mouse models of the acute phase reaction,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1822–1832, 2011.
- M. Rave-Frank, I. A. Malik, H. Christiansen et al., “Rat model of fractionated (2 Gy/day) 60 Gy irradiation of the liver: long-term effects,” Radiation and Environmental Biophysics, vol. 52, pp. 321–338, 2013.
- E. H. Morgan, “Specificity of hepatic iron uptake from plasma transferrin in the rat,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, vol. 99, no. 1-2, pp. 91–95, 1991.
- E. H. Morgan and E. Baker, “Role of transferrin receptors and endocytosis in iron uptake by hepatic and erythroid cells,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 526, pp. 65–82, 1988.
- A. T. McKie, P. Marciani, A. Rolfs et al., “A novel duodenal iron-regulated transporter, IREG1, implicated in the basolateral transfer of iron to the circulation,” Molecular Cell, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 299–309, 2000.
- T. Ganz and E. Nemeth, “Iron metabolism: interactions with normal and disordered erythropoiesis,” Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine, vol. 2, no. 5, Article ID a011668, 2012.
- P. Arosio, R. Ingrassia, and P. Cavadini, “Ferritins: a family of molecules for iron storage, antioxidation and more,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1790, no. 7, pp. 589–599, 2009.
- J. H. Caskey, C. Jones, Y. E. Miller, and P. A. Seligman, “Human ferritin gene is assigned to chromosome 19,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 482–486, 1983.
- M. Worwood, J. D. Brook, S. J. Cragg, et al., “Assignment of human ferritin genes to chromosomes 11 and 19q13.3→19qter,” Human Genetics, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 371–374, 1985.
- M. C. Sammarco, S. Ditch, A. Banerjee, and E. Grabczyk, “Ferritin L and H subunits are differentially regulated on a post-transcriptional level,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 8, pp. 4578–4587, 2008.
- W. Wang, M. A. Knovich, L. G. Coffman, F. M. Torti, and S. V. Torti, “Serum ferritin: past, present and future,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1800, no. 8, pp. 760–769, 2010.
- M. Worwood, “Serum ferritin,” CRC Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 171–204, 1979.
- A. Cozzi, B. Corsi, S. Levi, P. Santambrogio, G. Biasiotto, and P. Arosio, “Analysis of the biologic functions of H- and L-ferritins in HeLa cells by transfection with siRNAs and cDNAs: evidence for a proliferative role of L-ferritin,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 2377–2383, 2004.
- L. A. Cohen, L. Gutierrez, A. Weiss et al., “Serum ferritin is derived primarily from macrophages through a nonclassical secretory pathway,” Blood, vol. 116, no. 9, pp. 1574–1584, 2010.
- N. Naz, F. Moriconi, S. Ahmad et al., “Ferritin L is the sole serum ferritin constituent and a positive hepatic acute phase protein,” Shock, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 520–526, 2013.
- G. Ramadori, U. Moebius, H.-P. Dienes, S. Meuer, and K.-H. Meyer Zum Buschenfelde, “Lymphocytes from hepatic inflammatory infiltrate kill rat hepatocytes in primary culture. Comparison with peripheral blood lymphocytes,” Virchows Archiv B, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 263–270, 1990.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- J. M. Chirgwin, A. E. Przybyla, R. J. MacDonald, and W. J. Rutter, “Isolation of biologically active ribonucleic acid from sources enriched in ribonuclease,” Biochemistry, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 5294–5299, 1979.
- G. Ramadori, J. D. Sipe, and C. A. Dinarello, “Pretranslational modulation of acute phase hepatic protein synthesis by murine recombinant interleukin 1 (IL-1) and purified human IL-1,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 930–942, 1985.
- J. Riemer, H. H. Hoepken, H. Czerwinska, S. R. Robinson, and R. Dringen, “Colorimetric ferrozine-based assay for the quantitation of iron in cultured cells,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 331, no. 2, pp. 370–375, 2004.
- C. Beaumont, P. Leneuve, I. Devaux et al., “Mutation in the iron responsive element of the L ferritin mRNA in a family with dominant hyperferritinaemia and cataract,” Nature Genetics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 444–446, 1995.
- D. Darshan, L. Vanoaica, L. Richman, F. Beermann, and L. C. Kühn, “Conditional deletion of ferritin H in mice induces loss of iron storage and liver damage,” Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 852–860, 2009.
- E. G. Meyron-Holtz, S. Moshe-Belizowski, and L. A. Cohen, “A possible role for secreted ferritin in tissue iron distribution,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 337–347, 2011.
- N. Sheikh, D. S. Batusic, J. Dudas et al., “Hepcidin and hemojuvelin gene expression in rat liver damage: in vivo and in vitro studies,” The American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 291, no. 3, pp. G482–G490, 2006.
- J. Muntane-Relat, J.-C. Ourlin, J. Domergue, and P. Maurel, “Differential effects of cytokines on the inducible expression of CYP1A1, CYP1A2, and CYP3A4 in human hepatocytes in primary culture,” Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1143–1153, 1995.
- S. V. Torti, E. L. Kwak, S. C. Miller et al., “The molecular cloning and characterization of murine ferritin heavy chain, a tumor necrosis factor-inducible gene,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 263, no. 25, pp. 12638–12644, 1988.
- M. Morado, E. Ojeda, J. Garcia-Bustos et al., “Serum ferritin as risk factor for veno-occlusive disease of the liver. Prospective cohort study,” Hematology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 505–512, 2000.
- H. W. Chueh, K. W. Sung, S. H. Lee et al., “Iron chelation treatment with deferasirox prior to high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation may reduce the risk of hepatic veno-occlusive disease in children with high-risk solid tumors,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 441–447, 2012.
- J. A. Coppell, S. A. Brown, and D. J. Perry, “Veno-occlusive disease: cytokines, genetics, and haemostasis,” Blood Reviews, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 63–70, 2003.
- H. Christiansen, B. Saile, K. Neubauer-Saile et al., “Irradiation leads to susceptibility of hepatocytes to TNF-α mediated apoptosis,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 291–296, 2004.
- L. Zeng, Z. Yan, L. Wang, B. Du, X. Pan, and K. Xu, “Irradiation Is an early determinant of endothelial injury during hematopoietic stem cell transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 2661–2664, 2008.
- J. E. Levy, O. Jin, Y. Fujiwara, F. Kuo, and N. C. Andrews, “Transferrin receptor is necessary for development of erythrocytes and the nervous system,” Nature Genetics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 396–399, 1999.
- A. K. Ganti, N. A. Shonka, and W. D. Haire, “Pancytopenia due to iron deficiency worsened by iron infusion: a case report,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 1, article 175, 2007.
- A. Tichelli, A. Gratwohl, and B. Speck, “Iron deficiency anemia: diagnosis and therapy,” Schweizerische Medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 122, no. 13, pp. 461–465, 1992.