- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 353695, 11 pages
Uptake of Gold Nanoparticles in Several Rat Organs after Intraperitoneal Administration In Vivo: A Fluorescence Study
Department of Physics and Astronomy, College of Science, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2455, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Received 24 April 2013; Revised 21 June 2013; Accepted 22 June 2013
Academic Editor: Xudong Huang
Copyright © 2013 Mohamed Anwar K. Abdelhalim. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Lakowicz and R. Barry, Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Springer, 3rd edition, 2008.
- S. D. Caruthers, S. A. Wickline, and G. M. Lanza, “Nanotechnological applications in medicine,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 2007.
- M. J. Kogan, I. Olmedo, L. Hosta, A. R. Guerrero, L. J. Cruz, and F. Albericio, “Peptides and metallic nanoparticles for biomedical applications,” Nanomedicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 287–306, 2007.
- G. Schmid, “Large clusters and colloids. Metals in the embryonic state,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 1709–1727, 1992.
- P. K. Jain, I. H. ElSayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Au nanoparticles target cancer,” Nano Today, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 18–29, 2007.
- Z.-Q. Tian, B. Ren, and D.-Y. Wu, “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering: from noble to transition metals and from rough surfaces to ordered nanostructures,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 37, pp. 9463–9483, 2002.
- P. V. Kamat, “Photophysical, photochemical and photocatalytic aspects of metal nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 32, pp. 7729–7744, 2002.
- A. N. Shipway, E. Katz, and I. Willner, “Nanoparticle arrays on surfaces for electronic, optical, and sensor applications,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 18–52, 2000.
- Y. Kuwahara, T. Akiyama, and S. Yamada, “Facile fabrication of photoelectrochemical assemblies consisting of gold nanoparticles and a tris(2,-bipyridine)ruthenium(II)-viologen linked thiol,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 5714–5716, 2001.
- C. A. Mirkin, R. L. Letsinger, R. C. Mucic, and J. J. Storhoff, “A DNA-based method for rationally assembling nanoparticles into macroscopic materials,” Nature, vol. 382, no. 6592, pp. 607–609, 1996.
- M. Huber, T.-F. Wei, U. R. Müller, P. A. Lefebvre, S. S. Marla, and Y. P. Bao, “Gold nanoparticle probe-based gene expression analysis with unamplified total human RNA,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, no. 18, pp. e137–e145, 2004.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and M. Mady, “Liver uptake of gold nanoparticles after intraperitoneal administration in vivo: a fluorescence study,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 195, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “Gold nanoparticles administration induced prominent inflammatory, central vein intima disruption, fatty change and Kupffer cells hyperplasia,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 133, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “Gold nanoparticles induced cloudy swelling to hydropic degeneration, cytoplasmic hyaline vacuolation, polymorphism, binucleation, karyopyknosis, karyolysis, karyorrhexis and necrosis in the liver,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 166, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “Histological alterations in the liver of rats induced by different gold nanoparticle sizes, doses and exposure duration,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 10, article 5, 2012.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “Renal tissue alterations were size-dependent with smaller ones induced more effects and related with time exposure of gold nanoparticles,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 163, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “The appearance of renal cells cytoplasmic degeneration and nuclear destruction might be an indication of GNPs toxicity,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 147, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “Exposure to gold nanoparticles produces cardiac tissue damage that depends on the size and duration of exposure,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 205, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “Gold nanoparticles administration induces disarray of heart muscle, hemorrhagic, chronic inflammatory cells infiltrated by small lymphocytes, cytoplasmic vacuolization and congested and dilated blood vessels,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 233, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “Exposure to gold nanoparticles produces pneumonia, fibrosis, chronic inflammatory cell infiltrates, congested and dilated blood vessels, and hemosiderin granule and emphysema foci,” Journal of Cancer Science and Therapy, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 46–50, 2012.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “Lung tissue alterations were size-dependent with smaller ones induced more effects and related with time exposure of gold nanoparticles,” Journal of Cancer Science & Therapy, vol. 4, article 6, 2012.
- X. Wang, S. Duan, B. Geng, J. Cui, and Y. Yang, “Schmeissneria: a missing link to angiosperms?” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 7, article 14, 2007.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Mädler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5761, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- W. T. Liu, “Nanoparticles and their biological and environmental applications,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 102, pp. 1–7, 2006.
- P. Baptista, E. Pereira, P. Eaton et al., “Gold nanoparticles for the development of clinical diagnosis methods,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 391, no. 3, pp. 943–950, 2008.
- D. Pissuwan, S. M. Valenzuela, and M. B. Cortie, “Therapeutic possibilities of plasmonically heated gold nanoparticles,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 62–67, 2006.
- M. Semmler-Behnke, W. G. Kreyling, J. Lipka et al., “Biodistribution of 1.4- and 18-nm gold particles in rats,” Small, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 2108–2111, 2008.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “The period effects of intraperitoneal administration of different gold nanoparticle sizes on kidney tissue of rat in vivo using fluorescence measurements,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 5, no. 21, pp. 3588–3595, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “The period effects of intraperitoneal administration of different gold nanoparticle sizes on heart tissue of rats using fluorescence measurements: in vivo,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 26, pp. 6166–6170, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “The period effects of intraperitoneal administration of different gold nanoparticle sizes on heart tissue of rats using fluorescence measurements: in vivo,” Scientific Research and Essays, vol. 6, no. 25, pp. 5403–5410, 2011.
- A. Haseeb Khan, M. A. K. Abdelhalim, M. S. Al-Ayed, and S. Abdullah Alhomida, “Effect of GNPs on glutathione and malondialdehyde levels in liver, lung, heart and kidney of rats in vivo,” Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 19, pp. 461–464, 2012.
- S. Tedesco, H. Doyle, J. Blasco, G. Redmond, and D. Sheehan, “Oxidative stress and toxicity of gold nanoparticles in Mytilus edulis,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 178–186, 2010.
- S. Tedesco, H. Doyle, J. Blasco, G. Redmond, and D. Sheehan, “Exposure of the blue mussel, Mytilus edulis, to gold nanoparticles and the pro-oxidant menadione,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 2010.
- W. H. De Jong, W. I. Hagens, P. Krystek, M. C. Burger, A. J. A. M. Sips, and R. E. Geertsma, “Particle size-dependent organ distribution of gold nanoparticles after intravenous administration,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1912–1919, 2008.
- Y.-S. Chen, Y.-C. Hung, I. Liau, and G. S. Huang, “Assessment of the in vivo toxicity of gold nanoparticles,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 858–864, 2009.
- S. K. Balasubramanian, J. Jittiwat, J. Manikandan, C.-N. Ong, L. E. Yu, and W.-Y. Ong, “Biodistribution of gold nanoparticles and gene expression changes in the liver and spleen after intravenous administration in rats,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2034–2042, 2010.
- G. Von Maltzahn, J.-H. Park, A. Agrawal et al., “Computationally guided photothermal tumor therapy using long-circulating gold nanorod antennas,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 3892–3900, 2009.
- C. J. Choi, V. Anantharam, N. J. Saetveit, R. S. Houk, A. Kanthasamy, and A. G. Kanthasamy, “Normal cellular prion protein protects against manganese-induced oxidative stress and apoptotic cell death,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 495–509, 2007.
- R. Gupta, “System behaviour of wood truss assemblies,” Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 183–193, 2005.