- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 353956, 14 pages
Speciation in Thaparocleidus (Monogenea: Dactylogyridae) Parasitizing Asian Pangasiid Catfishes
1Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Kotlářská 2, 611 37 Brno, Czech Republic
2Institut de Recherche sur la Biologie de l’Insecte, Faculté des Sciences et Techniques, UMR CNRS 6035, 37200 Tours, France
3Institut des Sciences de l'Evolution, IRD-CNRS-UM2, Université Montpellier 2, CC065, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
4Laboratory of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Genomics, University of Leuven, Charles Deberiotstraat 32, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Received 1 March 2013; Revised 9 September 2013; Accepted 14 September 2013
Academic Editor: William Piel
Copyright © 2013 Andrea Šimková et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Coyne and H. A. Orr, “The evolutionary genetics of speciation,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 353, no. 1366, pp. 287–305, 1998.
- S. Via, “Sympatric speciation in animals: the ugly duckling grows up,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 381–390, 2001.
- J. A. Coyne, “Sympatric speciation,” Current Biology, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. R787–R788, 2007.
- D. R. Brooks and D. A. McLennan, Phylogeny, Ecology and Behavior: A Research Program in Comparative Biology, The University of Chicago Press, London, UK, 1991.
- K. D. McCoy, “Sympatric speciation in parasites—what is sympatry?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 400–404, 2003.
- W. Kunz, “When is a parasite species a species?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 121–124, 2002.
- A. Šimková, S. Morand, E. Jobet, M. Gelnar, and O. Verneau, “Molecular phylogeny of congeneric monogenean parasites (Dactylogyrus): a case of intrahost speciation,” Evolution, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1001–1018, 2004.
- R. D. M. Page, Tangled Trees: Phylogeny, Cospeciation and Coevolution, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2003.
- D. M. de Vienne, T. Giraud, and J. A. Shykoff, “When can host shifts produce congruent host and parasite phylogenies? A simulation approach,” Journal of Evolutionary Biology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1428–1438, 2007.
- J. E. Light and M. S. Hafner, “Codivergence in heteromyid rodents (Rodentia: Heteromyidae) and their sucking lice of the genus Fahrenholzia (Phthiraptera: Anoplura),” Systematic Biology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 449–465, 2008.
- I. Humphery-Smith, “The evolution of phylogenetic specificity among parasitic organisms,” Parasitology Today, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 385–387, 1989.
- M. S. Hafner and S. A. Nadler, “Phylogenetic trees support the coevolution of parasites and their hosts,” Nature, vol. 332, no. 6161, pp. 258–259, 1988.
- M. S. Hafner, P. D. Sudman, F. X. Villablanca, T. A. Spradling, J. W. Demastes, and S. A. Nadler, “Disparate rates of molecular evolution in cospeciating hosts and parasites,” Science, vol. 265, no. 5175, pp. 1087–1090, 1994.
- L. S. Roberts and J. J. Javony, Foundations of Parasitology, William C. Brown, Dubuque, Iowa, USA, 1996.
- R. Poulin, “Determinants of host-specificity in parasites of freshwater fishes,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 753–758, 1992.
- A. Šimková, Y. Desdevises, M. Gelnar, and S. Morand, “Co-existence of nine gill ectoparasites (Dactylogyrus: Monogenea) parasitising the roach (Rutilus rutilus L.): history and present ecology,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1077–1088, 2000.
- Y. Desdevises, S. Morand, O. Jousson, and P. Legendre, “Coevolution between Lamellodiscus (Monogenea: Diplectanidae) and Sparidae (Teleostei): the study of a complex host-parasite system,” Evolution, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 2459–2471, 2002.
- M. S. Zietara and J. Lumme, “Speciation by host switch and adaptive radiation in a fish parasite genus Gyrodactylus (Monogenea, Gyrodactylidae),” Evolution, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 2445–2458, 2002.
- T. Huyse and F. A. M. Volckaert, “Comparing host and parasite phylogenies: Gyrodactylus flatworms jumping from goby to goby,” Systematic Biology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 710–718, 2005.
- L. Plaisance, D. T. J. Littlewood, P. D. Olson, and S. Morand, “Molecular phylogeny of gill monogeneans (Platyhelminthes, Monogenea, Dactylogyridae) and colonization of Indo-West Pacific butterflyfish hosts (Perciformes, Chaetodontidae),” Zoologica Scripta, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 425–436, 2005.
- M. Mendlová, Y. Desdevises, K. Civáňová, A. Pariselle, and A. Šimková, “Monogeneans of West African cichlid fish: evolution and cophylogenetic interactions,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 5, Article ID e37268, 2012.
- K. Rohde, “Critical evaluation of intrinsic and extrinsic factors responsible for niche restriction in parasites,” The American Naturalist, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 648–671, 1979.
- S. Morand, A. Šimková, I. Matějusová, L. Plaisance, O. Verneau, and Y. Desdevises, “Investigating patterns may reveal processes: evolutionary ecology of ectoparasitic monogeneans,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 111–119, 2002.
- A. Šimková, M. Pečínková, E. Řehulková, M. Vyskočilová, and M. Ondračková, “Dactylogyrus species parasitizing European Barbus species: morphometric and molecular variability,” Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 12, pp. 1751–1765, 2007.
- T. Kaci-Chaouch, O. Verneau, and Y. Desdevises, “Host specificity is linked to intraspecific variability in the genus Lamellodiscus (Monogenea),” Parasitology, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 607–616, 2008.
- L. H. S. Lim, T. A. Timofeeva, and D. I. Gibson, “Dactylogyridean monogeneans of the siluriform fishes of the Old World,” Systematic Parasitology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 159–197, 2001.
- X.-Y. Wu, X.-Q. Zhu, M.-Q. Xie, J. Q. Wang, and A.-X. Li, “The radiation of Thaparocleidus (Monogenoidea: Dactylogyridae: Ancylodiscoidinae): phylogenetic analyses and taxonomic implications inferred from ribosomal DNA sequences,” Parasitology Research, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 283–288, 2008.
- A. Pariselle, L. H. S. Lim, and A. Lambert, “Monogeneans from Pangasiidae (Siluriformes) in Southeast Asia: X. Six new species of Thaparocleidus Jain, 1952 (Ancylodiscoididae) from Pangasius micronema,” Parasite, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 283–290, 2006.
- T. R. Roberts and C. Vidthayanon, “Systematic revision of the Asian catfish family Pangasiidae, with biological observations and descriptions of three new species,” Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, vol. 143, pp. 97–144, 1991.
- L. Pouyaud, G. G. Teugels, R. Gustiano, and M. Legendre, “Contribution to the phylogeny of pangasiid catfishes based on allozymes and mitochondrial DNA,” Journal of Fish Biology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1509–1538, 2000.
- H. K. Voris, “Maps of Pleistocene sea levels in Southeast Asia: shorelines, river systems and time durations,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1153–1167, 2000.
- L. H. S. Lim, “Silurodiscoides Gussev, 1961 (Monogenea: Ancyrocephalidae) from Pangasius sutchi Fowler, 1931 (Pangasiidae) cultured in Penninsular Malaysia,” Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 55–53, 1990.
- A. Pariselle, L. H. S. Lim, and A. Lambert, “Monogeneans from Pangasiidae (Siluriformes) in Southeast Asia: III. Five new species of Thaparocleidus Jain, 1952 (Ancylodiscoididae) from Pangasius bocourti, P. djambal and P. hypophthalmus,” Parasite, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 207–217, 2002.
- A. Pariselle, L. H. S. Lim, and A. Lambert, “Monogeneans from Pangasiidae (Siluriformes) in Southeast Asia: V. Five new species of Thaparocleidus Jain, 1952 (Ancylodiscoididae) from Pangasius nasutus,” Parasite, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 317–323, 2003.
- A. Pariselle, L. H. S. Lim, and A. Lambert, “Monogeneans from pangasiidae (Siluriformes) in Southeast Asia: VII. Six new host-specific species of Thaparocleidus Jain, 1952 (Ancylodiscoididae) from Pangasius polyuranodon,” Parasite, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 365–372, 2004.
- A. Pariselle, L. H. S. Lim, and A. Lambert, “Monogeneans from Pangasiidae (Siluriformes) in Southeast Asia: VIII. Four new non-specific species of Thaparocleidus Jain, 1952 (Ancylodiscoididae) from Pangasius polyuranodon and P. elongatus,” Parasite, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2005.
- A. Pariselle, L. H. S. Lim, and A. Lambert, “Monogeneans from Pangasiidae (Siluriformes) in Southeast Asia: IX. Two new species of Thaparocleidus Jain, 1952 (Ancylodiscoididae) from Pangasius mahakamensis,” Parasite, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 325–329, 2005.
- L. Euzet and C. Combes, “Les problèmes de l’espèce chez les animaux parasites,” in Les Problèmes de l’espèce dans le Règne Animal, C. Boquet, J. Genermont, and M. Lamotte, Eds., vol. 40 of Memoires de la Societé zoologique de France, pp. 239–285, 1980.
- N. D. Sinnappah, L. H. S. Lim, K. Rohde, R. Tinsley, C. Combes, and O. Verneau, “A paedomorphic parasite associated with a neotenic amphibian host: phylogenetic evidence suggests a revised systematic position for Sphyranuridae within anuran and turtle Polystomatoineans,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 189–201, 2001.
- A. Šimková, L. Plaisance, I. Matějusová, S. Morand, and O. Verneau, “Phylogenetic relationships of the Dactylogyridae Bychowsky, 1933 (Monogenea: Dactylogyridea): the need for the systematic revision of the Ancyrocephalinae Bychowsky, 1937,” Systematic Parasitology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2003.
- J. D. Thompson, D. G. Higgins, and T. J. Gibson, “CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 4673–4680, 1994.
- T. A. Hall, “BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 41, no. 41, pp. 95–98, 1999.
- D. L. Swofford, PAUP*: Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony and Other Methods, Version 4.0b10, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Mass, USA, 2002.
- F. Ronquist and J. P. Huelsenbeck, “MrBayes 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1572–1574, 2003.
- D. Posada and K. A. Crandall, “Modeltest: testing the model of DNA substitution,” Bioinformatics, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 817–818, 1998.
- A. Rzhetsky and M. Nei, “A simple method for estimating and testing minimum-evolution trees,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 945–967, 1992.
- J. Felsenstein, “Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap,” Evolution, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 783–791, 1985.
- N. Wahlberg, E. Weingartner, and S. Nylin, “Towards a better understanding of the higher systematics of Nymphalidae (Lepidoptera: Papilionoidea),” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 473–484, 2003.
- J. Yang, S. He, J. Freyhof, K. Witte, and H. Liu, “The phylogenetic relationships of the Gobioninae (Teleostei: Cyprinidae) inferred from mitochondrial cytochrome b gene sequences,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 553, no. 1, pp. 255–266, 2006.
- S. Kumar, K. Tamura, and M. Nei, “MEGA3: integrated software for molecular evolutionary genetics analysis and sequence alignment,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 150–163, 2004.
- F. Abascal, R. Zardoya, and D. Posada, “ProtTest: selection of best-fit models of protein evolution,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2104–2105, 2005.
- S. Guindon and O. Gascuel, “A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood,” Systematic Biology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 696–704, 2003.
- P. Legendre, Y. Desdevises, and E. Bazin, “A statistical test for host-parasite coevolution,” Systematic Biology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 217–234, 2002.
- J. P. Meier-Kolthoff, A. F. Auch, D. H. Huson, and M. Göker, “CopyCat: cophylogenetic analysis tool,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 898–900, 2007.
- C. Conow, D. Fielder, Y. Ovadia, and R. Libeskind-Hadas, “Jane: a new tool for the cophylogeny reconstruction problem,” Algorithms for Molecular Biology, vol. 5, article 16, 2010.
- R. D. M. Page, “Parallel phylogenies: reconstructing the history of host-parasite assemblages,” Cladistics, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 155–173, 1994.
- F. Ronquist, “TreeFitter, program and documentation,” 2001, http://www.softpedia.com/progMoreBy/Publisher-Fredrik-Ronquist-Maxim-Teslenko 83341.html.
- C. J. Douady, F. Delsuc, Y. Boucher, W. F. Doolittle, and E. J. P. Douzery, “Comparison of bayesian and maximum likelihood bootstrap measures of phylogenetic reliability,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 248–254, 2003.
- D. Pol and M. E. Siddall, “Biases in maximum likelihood and parsimony: a simulation approach to a 10-taxon case,” Cladistics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2001.
- A. V. Gusev, Identification of Freshwater Fish Parasites, Nauka, Leningrad, Russia, 1985.
- L. Pouyaud, E. Desmarais, M. Deveney, and A. Pariselle, “Phylogenetic relationships among monogenean gill parasites (Dactylogyridea, Ancyrocephalidae) infesting tilapiine hosts (Cichlidae): systematic and evolutionary implications,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 241–249, 2006.
- X.-Y. Wu, X.-Q. Zhu, M.-Q. Xie, and A.-X. Li, “The evaluation for generic-level monophyly of Ancyrocephalinae (Monogenea, Dactylogyridae) using ribosomal DNA sequence data,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 530–544, 2007.
- I. Blasco-Costa, R. Míguez-Lozano, V. Sarabeev, and J. A. Balbuena, “Molecular phylogeny of species of Ligophorus (Monogenea: Dactylogyridae) and their affinities within the Dactylogyridae,” Parasitology International, vol. 61, pp. 619–627, 2012.
- M. Vignon, A. Pariselle, and M. P. M. Vanhove, “Modularity in attachment organs of African Cichlidogyrus (Platyhelminthes: Monogenea: Ancyrocephalidae) reflects phylogeny rather than host specificity or geographic distribution,” Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 694–706, 2011.
- A. Šimková, O. Verneau, M. Gelnar, and S. Morand, “Specificity and specialization of congeneric monogeneans parasitizing cyprinid fish,” Evolution, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1023–1037, 2006.
- J. Jarkovský, S. Morand, A. Šimková, and M. Gelnar, “Reproductive barriers between congeneric monogenean parasites (Dactylogyrus: Monogenea): attachment apparatus morphology or copulatory organ incompatibility?” Parasitology Research, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 95–105, 2004.
- S. Morand, A. Šimková, and S. Gourbière, “Beyond the paradigms of cospeciation and host-switch: is sympatric speciation an important mode of speciation for parasites?” Life and Environment, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2008.
- A. Šimková, M. Ondračková, M. Gelnar, and S. Morand, “Morphology and coexistence of congeneric ectoparasite species: reinforcement of reproductive isolation?” Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 125–135, 2002.
- T. Giraud, P. Gladieux, and S. Gavrilets, “Linking the emergence of fungal plant diseases with ecological speciation,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 387–395, 2010.
- S. Bentz, S. Leroy, L. Du Preez, J. Mariaux, C. Vaucher, and O. Verneau, “Origin and evolution of African Polystoma (Monogenea: Polystomatidae) assessed by molecular methods,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 697–705, 2001.
- D. M. de Vienne, G. Refrégier, M. López-Villavicencio, A. Tellier, M. E. Hood, and T. Giraud, “Cospeciation versus host-shift speciation: methods for testing, evidence from natural associations and relation to coevolution,” New Phytologist, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 347–385, 2013.