- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 354276, 7 pages
Respiratory Muscle Training in Patients Recovering Recent Open Cardiothoracic Surgery: A Randomized-Controlled Trial
1University of Modena, DU of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Via del Pozzo 171, 41121 Modena, Italy
2Villa Pineta Hospital, Lung Unit and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Via Gaiato 127, 41020 Pavullo nel Frignano, Modena, Italy
Received 26 April 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Lee Ingle
Copyright © 2013 Ernesto Crisafulli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Sachdev and L. M. Napolitano, “Postoperative pulmonary complications: pneumonia and acute respiratory failure,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 321–344, 2012.
- W. Romanini, M. P. Andrea, K. A. T. de Carvalho et al., “Os efeitos da pressão positiva intermitente e espirometria de incentivo no pós-operatório de cirurgia de revascularização do miocárdio,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 94–99, 2007.
- L. Nici, C. Donner, E. Wouters et al., “American thoracic society/European respiratory society statement on pulmonary rehabilitation,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 173, no. 12, pp. 1390–1413, 2006.
- Y. Lacasse, R. Goldstein, T. J. Lasserson, and S. Martin, “Pulmonary rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD003793, 2006.
- E. Crisafulli, E. Venturelli, A. De Biase et al., “Rehabilitation in patients submitted to lung resection surgery: a retrospective analysis,” Rassegna di Patologia dell'Apparato Respiratorio, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 178–186, 2008.
- E. Venturelli, E. Crisafulli, A. De Biase, C. Lorenzi, and E. M. Clini, “The role of pre- and postrehabilitation in lung resection surgery,” Minerva Pneumologica, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2010.
- G. F. Barros, C. D. S. Santos, F. B. Granado, P. T. Costa, R. P. Límaco, and G. Gardenghi, “Respiratory muscle training in patients submitted to coronary arterial bypass graft,” Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 483–490, 2010.
- S. Savci, B. Degirmenci, M. Saglam et al., “Short-term effects of inspiratory muscle training in coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a randomized controlled trial,” Scandinavian Cardiovascular Journal, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 286–293, 2011.
- V. A. Lawrence, J. E. Cornell, and G. W. Smetana, “Strategies to reduce postoperative pulmonary complications after noncardiothoracic surgery: systematic review for the American College of Physicians,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 8, pp. 596–608, 2006.
- Y. Nagamatsu, K. Maeshiro, N. Y. Kimura et al., “Long-term recovery of exercise capacity and pulmonary function after lobectomy,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 1273–1278, 2007.
- E. Battaglia, A. Fulgenzi, S. Bernucci, M. E. Giardini, and M. E. Ferrero, “Home respiratory muscle training in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Respirology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 799–804, 2006.
- E. Battaglia, A. Fulgenzi, and M. E. Ferrero, “Rationale of the combined use of inspiratory and expiratory devices in improving maximal inspiratory pressure and maximal expiratory pressure of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 913–918, 2009.
- I. Boutron, D. Moher, D. G. Altman, K. F. Schulz, and P. Ravaud, “Extending the CONSORT statement to randomized trials of nonpharmacologic treatment: explanation and elaboration,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 295–309, 2008.
- C. Bruschi, I. Cerveri, M. C. Zoia et al., “Reference values of maximal respiratory mouth pressures: a population-based study,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 146, supplement 3, pp. 790–793, 1992.
- P. H. Quanjer, G. J. Tammeling, J. E. Cotes, O. F. Pedersen, R. Peslin, and J. C. Yernault, “Lung volumes and forced ventilatory flows. Report Working Party Standardization of Lung Function Tests, European Community for Steel and Coal. Official Statement of the European Respiratory Society,” The European Respiratory Journal. Supplement, vol. 16, pp. 5–40, 1993.
- “American Thoracic Society statement: guidelines for the six-minute walk test,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 166, pp. 111–117, 2002.
- C. M. Fletcher, “Standardised questionnaire on respiratory symptoms: a statement prepared and approved by the MRC Committee on the aetiology of chronic bronchitis (MRC breathlessness score),” British Medical Journal, vol. 2, article 1665, 1960.
- G. Apolone, S. Cifani, M. C. Liberati, and P. Mosconi, “Questionario sullo stato di salute SF 36. Traduzione e validazione in italiano (Progetto IQOLA),” Metodologia e didattica Clinica, vol. 5, pp. 86–94, 1997.
- R. C. Aitken, “Measurement of feelings using visual analogue scales,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 989–993, 1969.
- R. Little and L. Yau, “Intent-to-treat analysis for longitudinal studies with drop-outs,” Biometrics, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 1324–1333, 1996.
- A. F. van Belle, G. J. Wesseling, O. C. K. M. Penn, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Postoperative pulmonary function abnormalities after coronary artery bypass surgery,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 195–199, 1992.
- A. Cesario, L. Ferri, D. Galetta et al., “Post-operative respiratory rehabilitation after lung resection for non-small cell lung cancer,” Lung Cancer, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 175–180, 2007.
- M. A. Spruit, P. P. Janssen, S. C. P. Willemsen, M. M. H. Hochstenbag, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Exercise capacity before and after an 8-week multidisciplinary inpatient rehabilitation program in lung cancer patients: a pilot study,” Lung Cancer, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 257–260, 2006.
- G. Varela, E. Ballesteros, M. F. Jiménez, N. Novoa, and J. L. Aranda, “Cost-effectiveness analysis of prophylactic respiratory physiotherapy in pulmonary lobectomy,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 216–220, 2006.
- P. Pasquina, M. R. Tramèr, and B. Walder, “Prophylactic respiratory physiotherapy after cardiac surgery: systematic review,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7428, pp. 1379–1387, 2003.
- R. Gosselink, J. de Vos, S. P. van den Heuvel, J. Segers, M. Decramer, and G. Kwakkel, “Impact of inspiratory muscle training in patients with COPD: what is the evidence?” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 416–425, 2011.