- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 358217, 6 pages
Pharmacokinetic Properties and Systemic Safety of Vancomycin-Impregnated Cancellous Bone Grafts in the Treatment of Spondylodiscitis
Klinik für Orthopädie und Orthopädische Chirurgie, Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes, Kirrbergerstr. 1, 66421 Homburg, Germany
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 2 July 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editor: Peng Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Konstantinos Anagnostakos and Katrin Koch. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Anagnostakos and K. Schröder, “Antibiotic-impregnated bone grafts in orthopaedic and trauma surgery: a systematic review of the literature,” International Journal of Biomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 538061, 9 pages, 2012.
- M. A. Buttaro, M. I. Gimenez, G. Greco, L. Barcan, and F. Piccaluga, “High active local levels of vancomycin without nephrotoxicity released from impacted bone allografts in 20 revision hip arthroplasties,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 336–340, 2005.
- H. Winkler, A. Stoiber, K. Kaudela, F. Winter, and F. Menschik, “One stage uncemented revision of infected total hip replacement using cancellous allograft bone impregnated with antibiotics,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 1580–1584, 2008.
- Y.-S. Chan, S. W.-N. Ueng, C.-J. Wang, S.-S. Lee, C.-Y. Chen, and C.-H. Shin, “Antibiotic-impregnated autogenic cancellous bone grafting is an effective and safe method for the management of small infected tibial defects: a comparison study,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 246–255, 2000.
- C.-E. Chen, J.-Y. Ko, and C.-C. Pan, “Results of vancomycin-impregnated cancellous bone grafting for infected tibial nonunion,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 369–375, 2005.
- B. Borkhuu, A. Borowski, S. A. Shah, A. G. Littleton, K. W. Dabney, and F. Miller, “Antibiotic-loaded allograft decreases the rate of acute deep wound infection after spinal fusion in cerebral palsy,” Spine, vol. 33, no. 21, pp. 2300–2304, 2008.
- K.-H. Koo, J.-W. Yang, S.-H. Cho et al., “Impregnation of vancomycin, gentamicin, and cefotaxime in a cement spacer for two-stage cementless reconstruction in infected total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 882–892, 2001.
- B. N. Patrick, M. P. Rivey, and D. R. Allington, “Acute renal failure associated with vancomycin- and tobramycin-laden cement in total hip arthroplasty,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 2037–2042, 2006.
- E. A. Salvati, J. J. Callaghan, B. D. Brause, R. F. Klein, and R. D. Small, “Reimplantation in infection. Elution of gentamicin from cement and beads,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 207, pp. 83–93, 1986.
- B. D. Springer, G.-C. Lee, D. Osmon, G. J. Haidukewych, A. D. Hanssen, and D. J. Jacofsky, “Systemic safety of high-dose antibiotic-loaded cement spacers after resection of an infected total knee arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 427, pp. 47–51, 2004.
- T. Gouliouris, S. H. Aliyu, and N. M. Brown, “Spondylodiscitis: update on diagnosis and management,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. iii11–iii24, 2010.
- E. Witsø, L. Persen, K. Løseth, P. Benum, and K. Bergh, “Cancellous bone as an antibiotic carrier,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 80–84, 2000.
- C. Fleege, T. A. Wichelhaus, and M. Rauschmann, “Systemic and local antibiotic therapy of conservative and operative treatment of spondylodiscitis,” Orthopäde, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 727–735, 2012.
- D. Von Stechow and M. A. Rauschmann, “Effectiveness of combination use of antibiotic-loaded perOssal with spinal surgery in patients with spondylodiscitis,” European Surgical Research, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 298–305, 2009.
- H. Winkler, O. Janata, C. Berger, W. Wein, and A. Georgopoulos, “In vitro release of vancomycin and tobramycin from impregnated human and bovine bone grafts,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 423–428, 2000.
- E. Witsø, L. Persen, K. Løseth, and K. Bergh, “Adsorption and release of antibiotics from morselized cancellous bone,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 298–304, 1999.
- E. Witsø, L. Persen, P. Benum, and K. Bergh, “Release of netilmicin and vancomycin from cancellous bone,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 199–205, 2002.
- K. Kanellakopoulou, T. Sahinides, T. Tsaganos, N. Galanakis, H. Giamarellou, and E. J. Giamarellos-Bourboulis, “In vitro elution of moxifloxacin from cancellous bone allografts,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 52–55, 2010.
- S. Seber, I. Günal, and E. Göktürk, “Antibiotic-impregnated xenografts in the treatment of chronic osteomyelitic cavities. Seven cases followed for 3 to 5 years,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 197–199, 1998.